Reason OCD

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tibah

21 Jan 2015

- click has to be on, no matter the input quantizing
- no device is ever minimized :D
- drums, send effects always left rack, rest goes to the right
- I never color or name stuff until it gets ugly

Jagwah

21 Jan 2015

emotica wrote:- click has to be on, no matter the input quantizing
I don't know about the click but I like the rest of it! We might actually do OK working in the same room together but you wouldn't be allowed to touch anything, only watch until I go to sleep :comp:  

tibah

21 Jan 2015

emotica wrote:- click has to be on, no matter the input quantizing
Jagwah wrote: I don't know about the click but I like the rest of it! We might actually do OK working in the same room together but you wouldn't be allowed to touch anything, only watch until I go to sleep :comp:  
90% of my real-life collaborations did end in hamster / cat videos on YT and beer anyway! :D

Jagwah

21 Jan 2015

Last Alternative wrote:-Everything is labeled & color coded, in specific order.
I hope you don't mean every device in your rack! Color coding and ordering I can see but please don't label everything if it's not necessary, I see this sometimes on youtube and it kills me to see people stopping to type out labels when they aren't necessary!
Last Alternative wrote:-Sometimes I will spend literally all day & night doing music and not even eat, pee, etc. without even realizing it [crazy, yes].
That's fkn awesome. I wish I could have massive sessions like that, somewhere around eight hours seems to be my limit.

liampatrickingram

21 Jan 2015

some of these responses make me cringe lol - not labelling tracks? leaving every rack device unfolded? eeeeek 

motuscott

21 Jan 2015

Send effects routed back to the desk and grouped on the left rack. I don't have to do this every time, my templates are set up like this. Pretty obsessive keeping the channels in the same order on all three windows. Also I have to be wearing my favorite sock.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

liampatrickingram

21 Jan 2015

I just realized I forgot my top one.

This is a nightmare to me.
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_7.55.18_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_7.55.18_PM.png (24.21 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

liampatrickingram

21 Jan 2015

liampatrickingram wrote:some of these responses make me cringe lol - not labelling tracks? leaving every rack device unfolded? eeeeek 
GeorgeFeb wrote:
Yeah, imagine some people just getting so entranced in theirs obsessions that they forgetting to write actual music, lol!
Dude I stopped writing music years ago, I mostly just label and colour code now. Hoping the reason 9 update has more colour selection.

Julibee

21 Jan 2015

liampatrickingram wrote:some of these responses make me cringe lol - not labelling tracks? leaving every rack device unfolded? eeeeek 
GeorgeFeb wrote:
Yeah, imagine some people just getting so entranced in theirs obsessions that they forgetting to write actual music, lol!
liampatrickingram wrote:
Dude I stopped writing music years ago, I mostly just label and colour code now. Hoping the reason 9 update has more colour selection.
Hahahahaha!!!!
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Mastrcode

21 Jan 2015

liampatrickingram wrote: - separate drum channels all HAVE to be "wheat" - no exceptions
- every device must always be completely minimized unless I'm working on it
- there can be no channels on the mixer, sequencer or rack that have the colour red, EVER.
- I also use the Echo preset "Short Round"(with extra wobble) a ridiculous amount for some reason
For me:
  • Every device must always be completely minimized unless I'm working on it
  • There can be no channels on the mixer, sequencer or rack that have the colour red, EVER.
  • All devices must be in a Combinator with it's own colored skin for a better overview, even if it's just a single device without any routings to Combinator's programmable knobs. Especially for these purposes i made my own Combinator skins with all of the Reason's track an clip colors.
  • The most time i use NN-XT for allmy drum samples instead of  Redrum/Kong, beause NN-XT has a full ADSR envelope and not just a decay.
  • I always begin with the drums section. All drum sounds must have their own device output and mixer channels.
  • Separate drum channels all HAVE to be "orange" - no exceptions
  • In the sequencer all my tracks must be sorted in the following way (from top to bottom:
     drums & percussions, basses, leads, arps & sequences, pads, vocals, special fx... :D

Jagwah

21 Jan 2015

Mastrcode wrote:
  • All devices must be in a Combinator with it's own colored skin for a better overview, even if it's just a single device without any routings to Combinator's programmable knobs. Especially for these purposes i made my own Combinator skins with all of the Reason's track an clip colors.
I bet you label those combinators too! Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:

Mastrcode

22 Jan 2015

Mastrcode wrote:
Jagwah wrote: I bet you label those combinators too! Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:
The Combis are labeled too. Even my own made skins have several labels for all things:
:D
Attachments
Reason.jpg
Reason.jpg (236.79 KiB) Viewed 2202 times

zwerggle

22 Jan 2015

liampatrickingram wrote: 
- separate drum channels all HAVE to be "wheat" - no exceptions
- there can be no channels on the mixer, sequencer or rack that have the colour red, EVER.
- I also use the Echo preset "Short Round"(with extra wobble) a ridiculous amount for some reason

What are yours?

Liam
- What does "wheat" mean?
- I'll minimize stuff when it starts getting in the way, but I avoid minimizing if it's not yet needed as that just wastes my time.
- Re: Red – Haha, I totally understand
- There are just gonna be certain sounds/presets that you gravitate towards. Makes sense to me. For House-style kicks, I find it to be almost impossible to find bass drums that I like. I don't think there's a single isolated Reason kick drum that I like, but there miiiight be a couple in the REX loops that I like. I've been gravitating towards a very clipped "909" kick that I make in Live. There's also a sample I have floating around my hard drive that I labelled "nice little kick drum" that I used to use a lot, but I have absolutely no clue where I got it from, so I stopped using it.

liampatrickingram

22 Jan 2015

zwerggle wrote: - What does "wheat" mean?
- I'll minimize stuff when it starts getting in the way, but I avoid minimizing if it's not yet needed as that just wastes my time.
- Re: Red – Haha, I totally understand
- There are just gonna be certain sounds/presets that you gravitate towards. Makes sense to me. For House-style kicks, I find it to be almost impossible to find bass drums that I like. I don't think there's a single isolated Reason kick drum that I like, but there miiiight be a couple in the REX loops that I like. I've been gravitating towards a very clipped "909" kick that I make in Live. There's also a sample I have floating around my hard drive that I labelled "nice little kick drum" that I used to use a lot, but I have absolutely no clue where I got it from, so I stopped using it.
Wheat is what they call the beige colour setting.

Red is just the worst colour, so distracting and angry.

Really? I actually like the kicks in the kong samples.  But then again my electro stuff is more Boards of Canada style with laid back grooves.  I've only dabbled in house - I like the Agro and Analogue samples in the kong kicks.  But maybe thats why my few house tracks have been terrible  :s0959:

zwerggle

22 Jan 2015

liampatrickingram wrote:
Red is just the worst colour, so distracting and angry.

Really? I actually like the kicks in the kong samples.  But then again my electro stuff is more Boards of Canada style with laid back grooves.  I've only dabbled in house - I like the Agro and Analogue samples in the kong kicks.  But maybe thats why my few house tracks have been terrible  :s0959:

For me, it's just that red is pretty much always the color I use things to label things as "no."

Haha, you know what, I don't think I've ever used Kong before. That said, in House, etc., the kick drum is largely the core sound, so it's really important to nail it. I also don't typically like my kicks to have too much "personality," e.g. if they're distorted. It's really important for me that they hit you in the chest; and I find that almost all effects take away from their weight and power.

Ocean of Waves

22 Jan 2015

I forgot to tell my obsession to do everything in steps of 9.

:crazy:

FrankJaeger

22 Jan 2015

liampatrickingram wrote: - separate drum channels all HAVE to be "wheat" - no exceptions

What are yours?

Liam
- I absolutely cannot have random track colors. Seeing wheat, steal blue, yellow, kelly green and then yellow will upset me.
- Since I am still on 7 I have to make sure that the rack, sequencer/clips and mixer colors all match. I hate that changing the color of one in Reason 7 doesn't change them all because it quickly turns into a chore.
- Similar instruments MUST be made the same color. Ie synths are blue, drums and percussion are wheat (mine are as yours which is interesting), "real" instruments are green etc.
- I only use red for bus channels as it looks awful in the sequencer.
- Almost everything gets combined (especially if I am going to apply effects in the rack). I hate when I see a tutorial or other Reason video where it appears that the individual attempted to cram every known device into the rack and then had to keep scrolling up and down to find what they were trying to show.
- Absolutely NO INSTRUMENTS are allowed in the first column of the rack. All instruments have to start in column two. Column 1 is reserved for mastering, send effects and for setting up a sidechain combinator for use en masse.

I could continue on but these are the most important ones.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

esselfortium

22 Jan 2015

I abuse reverb.

Nearly every song I write involves some stereo delay with 3 steps on the left channel and 4 steps on the right channel. It's one of the default send effects in my song template, and it almost always works wonders for adding some subtle stereo depth and rhythmic complexity. I'm surprised no one has noticed and complained about my overuse yet.

My other habits mostly involve being stuck in my ways from having used Reason since version 2.5 and getting so accustomed to my odd ways of doing things.

I don't use the SSL mixer at all. I route around it entirely and instead use a 14:2 like in the old days.  :s0403:  I like the 14:2 because I can easily control panning and levels via CV. I also like being able to perform gross hacks with it, like EQing an entire mixer's worth of instruments at once. If I need to add bass clarity to a mix when I've messed things up horribly, I can just move the bass and kick drum channels to another mixer, then EQ their critical frequencies out of everything else in one fell swoop.

I still almost never use multiple rack columns. I'd maybe be more inclined to use them if I could scroll each column independently of the others. And if I had a bigger monitor.

I own a bunch of useful REs, but I frequently neglect them on the basis that I want to be able to package up my instrument patches for general use someday.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Last Alternative

22 Jan 2015

esselfortium wrote:Nearly every song I write involves some stereo delay with 3 steps on the left channel and 4 steps on the right channel. It's one of the default send effects in my song template, and it almost always works wonders for adding some subtle stereo depth and rhythmic complexity.
How do you set that up exactly? A screen shot or 2 will be cool if possible.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Jagwah

22 Jan 2015

Here is a little clarification about not labeling devices:

As I said, I do label my mixer channels. From here I can select 'SEQ / RACK' to take me right to that channel, and find my device in a few seconds:
^^^ In the rack I have the 'SEQ / MIX' option too.

Also when I am in the sequencer I can click the left panel of a device and it gets highlighted in the rack:

Using these, I can navigate with ease without labeling devices! : D

Dear webmaster, it's so nice to upload images without having to host them somewhere else first! :comp:
Attachments
Untitleddddddddd.jpg
Untitleddddddddd.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 2166 times

craven

22 Jan 2015

Jagwah wrote: Dear webmaster, it's so nice to upload images without having to host them somewhere else first! :comp:
absolutely! This is also one of my most liked features. Reason Talk is really the best that could happen. We are also stronger as a community again.
:ugeek:

liampatrickingram

22 Jan 2015

Jagwah wrote: Dear webmaster, it's so nice to upload images without having to host them somewhere else first! :comp:
craven wrote:
absolutely! This is also one of my most liked features. Reason Talk is really the best that could happen. We are also stronger as a community again.
It really a stronger community suddenly.  This week is the first time I've ever posted in a discussion aside from track feedback. I have a feeling a lot more lurkers will be coming out of the woodwork as well lol - much better vibes now!

Last Alternative

22 Jan 2015

627 members in 1 week is astounding. We're artists and artists are passionate and emotional. Sometimes we ALL can get carried away and repeat ourselves and each other to death and all the bad noise but we have a special bond here and a common thing that hugely ties us together in an almost spiritual way.
Hell. It is spiritual for me.
I love all you guys- in a gay way ;)
..oh and girls in a     loving way.

And in the end I think this was all for the best. That old place was a huge downer. This place is fun!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

• Information