Killing the forum is killing Reason as we know it

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MSD

21 Jan 2015

There was a lot of great stuff posted on the forums over the years and it is a shame that it isn't to be archived. Google still sometimes takes me to the forum when I am looking for info on something. But I wonder what percentage of the whole is useful and what percentage of the whole would have never been read again? I would say that a huge percentage was irrelevant to everyone and that very few people would end up reading posts that were useful anyway. How many questions that were asked were unique? 
As for being a good place to hang etc, I'm not feeling it anymore. It's always had cliques, all forums do, but there was also an element that just didn't know how to coexist with others. That element became more prevalent. 
The biggest issue of the forum going is the new user issues, where does a new user go if Reason isn't working. You know the types of questions, the things that are obvious unless you are totally confused by something that is new to you. That's the biggest shame, not so much the loss of collective info that few would probably read again. If there was something more robust in place than swamping Propellerhead with basic questions, many of which probably wont get answered, then the biggest problem would be taken care of.
I think one of the main issues, whether people will admit it or not, is change. Something long standing is changing and there are few things more likely to bring out doom mongers than something they are used to changing, or in this case disappearing. 

--
Noisemaker...

The Tone Ranger

21 Jan 2015

I don't think drag and drop will mean people forget the rack. Rack Extentions means there's more reason to be in the rack. :)

MSD

21 Jan 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote:I don't think drag and drop will mean people forget the rack. Rack Extentions means there's more reason to be in the rack. :)
Agreed, drag and drop should have been a thing much sooner. Making things easier to use allows people to make music quicker and reduces the chances of buzzkill, it doesnt change a thing for people who like / need to tweak under the hood. Reason is the same as Reason always has been, only more so.
--
Noisemaker...

Heater

21 Jan 2015

I'm not bothered. It won't be long before this place has most of the tips, tricks and tutorials relative to Reason.

craven

21 Jan 2015

Heater wrote:I'm not bothered. It won't be long before this place has most of the tips, tricks and tutorials relative to Reason.
yeah. the mass migration worked! and this place evolves with warp speed! 
Big thanks to all involved!
:ugeek:

Social Exodus

21 Jan 2015

phasys wrote:If you don't even want to see the rack, you can do so now! Just use drag and drop in the sequencer! Be a total bonehead without knowing what you're doing, and it will make sound anyway! 

The thing with dropping the forum means that Propellerhead embraces stupidity in music and EDM in particular. Having all the low level knowledge removed corresponds with their new approach in Reason 8.

I should have seen it coming after laying eyes on Reason 8.

Why is it a problem that someone might be "a bonehead, not knowing what they are doing and are still able to make sound"?  I play guitar quite well (thank you) and I have programmed computers for a living for nearly 30 years now, specifically enterprise level clustered, replicated database systems so I am no dummy.  Yet I still have to learn how to get my music recorded on my own and I needed to start somewhere and Reason 7 is where I chose to start because it was (wait for it) easier to grasp at first do to it's approach versus say Pro Tools.

I also have an extensive 7 year background in telephone and data equipment installations and maintenance so the back of a rack of equipment laden with wiring is not a foreign place to me either.  In fact, being able to route/patch freely is a huge advantage in Reason many times.  Yet there are times when I would like to be able to leave it behind and just concentrate on the sequencer, for example without the clutter.

Forgive me for saying so, but you come across as an insufferable elitist with this post and while you likely have forgotten more about music production that I might ever learn at age 56, I dare say there are fields in which I'd leave you looking like a deer staring into someone's headlights too.  The difference is perhaps I would take the time to try and help you get to where I already am, as opposed to making posts like this one you just laid out there.

Now, if Reason 8 isn't your cup of tea, then I certainly understand because I myself saw no reason to pay for it either.  But insulting people who do like it as if they were monosyllabic imbeciles because they happen to connect with it is certainly a pointless thing to do.  Perhaps posts like this are one of the reasons Propellerheads got the shits of the old forum?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Jagwah

21 Jan 2015

Hey Phasys good to see you again. Are you still using Reason? I got the same notion from the drag and drop feature - that Reason was becoming a platform for noobs without a view of going deep, which was really sad to see.
MSD wrote:The biggest issue of the forum going is the new user issues, where does a new user go if Reason isn't working. You know the types of questions, the things that are obvious unless you are totally confused by something that is new to you.
This is the point I have been stressing over at PUF. Seriously if I didn't have PUF to turn to every time something wouldn't work - I am not sure I would still be here. You can't google 'why isn't Redrum making any sound' and get the answer you need. I really feel for those new noobs with nowhere to turn, I couldn't have done it without the PUF.

phasys

21 Jan 2015

Siberian Khatru wrote:Forgive me for saying so, but you come across as an insufferable elitist with this post bla bla bla bla
That's quite enough. Everybody else, please take note who's the offender here. You're ignored.

Lunesis

21 Jan 2015

I know where this is heading ;)

• Information