Anyone just use a laptop for Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
syncanonymous

31 Dec 1969

eox wrote:
syncanonymous wrote:Thanks Eox:-) I have done a lot of troubleshooting on the AW21Z; I haven't found a specific fix for nVidia issues googling it....I'll hafta try again. The preSonus is alright....I did a lot of research b4 purchase....now if I can figure out how to fix my shift+p issue, it'll be slammin;-)
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... rd.126080/ ^ check and see if this helps! Also, Nvidia - "Powermizer" is what I remember reading about that can cause high DPC which can result in the crackling noise you here. Here's a thread about that issue https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... -drop-out/ Also, check out Latencymon and DPC Checker Latencymon - http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon DPC Checker - http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml Both programs will help show you any driver issues you may be having that are causing high latency or the crackling noise. Once you see which drivers are interfering I advise googling the driver with "high DPC" and I'm sure many threads will pop up that can help you fix the issue. Now, if you continue to have trouble check out: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/ These guys are great at helping you figure out your problems and working them out! I hope this helps you going in the right direction my friend! Best of luck! ---Also, what shift+p issue are you having?
This machine I saved from the rubbish heap which I have been using has keyboard issues. It is a notorious issue for that model/generation of VAIOs. The key next to "shift" (\ and |) is continuously pressed. When I turn it on, the "\" fills any input field. It was causing crashes with SawStudio because ""\"" is an important key command in SawStudio. So
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Heater

20 Jan 2015

I'm just curious.

I've got several PC's in the house but I only use my now ageing 2009 Unibody macbook pro.
It's the convenience couple with the comfort of sitting on my couch with headphones on creating music.

Does anyone else just use a laptop?

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

2009 MBP is the heart of my system so I can grab it and my MOTU 828II to record drum tracks at my rehearsal space. Here at my apt it is hooked up to extra monitor, QWERTY keys, etc. 
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

flightONE

20 Jan 2015

I used to do all my writing on my 2011 MBP... that is until it died last thursday :frown:

michael.jaye

20 Jan 2015

Using a 2011 Macbook Pro, with external Monitor. Mine struggles when using Rack Extensions, I'm constantly trying to minimise RE's in my productions.  And the dreaded display fault is starting to rear it's green and ugly head :frown:  

liampatrickingram

20 Jan 2015

I just use a macbook pro, I've never had any problems whatsoever - runs great.

The Tone Ranger

20 Jan 2015

I did up until 2005 when I got an iMac.

phasys

20 Jan 2015

Heater wrote:I'm just curious.

I've got several PC's in the house but I only use my now ageing 2009 Unibody macbook pro.
It's the convenience couple with the comfort of sitting on my couch with headphones on creating music.

Does anyone else just use a laptop?
I can run Reason on my Asus I7-4700HQ with full HD screen, but I don't do it much. I got so ticked off with that Reason 8 failure that I just can't bring myself to it. So I play games instead. :D

challism

20 Jan 2015

I am currently only using a laptop. It's a 2014 Acer with Windows 8, 8GB ram and 2.4Ghz processor.  I can run a ton of REs in my productions, which is kind of a surprise.  I rarely have a CPU problem, unless I have more than one instance of Reason open.  I plan on also getting a nice desktop eventually, it's just more comfortable, although the laptop is more convenient/transportable.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

polardozer

20 Jan 2015

Yeah, I only have a laptop=P

Julibee

20 Jan 2015

Yeah... But I've only since Christmas. MacBook Pro 15" w/retina, though, so... you know... Works. ;)

But I *was* running on a half dead Windows 7 machine with 16 gig of ram installed, only 8 working, and was running into a mell of a hess.

I'm very happy in couch mode on my MacBook.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Shed69

20 Jan 2015

I've been using just a laptop for years now. I'm currently using a low spec Acer (4GB RAM, 1.2GHz dual core) running Windows 7 and Reason 7, and it's surprisingly happy running a good amount of extensions (apart from some of the hungrier ones like Antidote & Tres, which tend to push the CPU quite hard). I just like the freedom of being very portable :)

Neko the Jaguar

20 Jan 2015

I do.  I had to buy this one just to upgrade to 7.  Nothing fancy, but this laptop is strictly for Reason.  I plan on someday getting a mac.

bouwie

20 Jan 2015

I use a laptop i5 windows 7 of 3 years old. Running reason 7.1
i hooked a extra lcd monitor to it, so working with two screens.

sinnerfire

20 Jan 2015

I run a MBP at the heart of my set up, 500Gig SSD, 16Gig of Ram.

Never lets me down and when i have to go studio, i just grab it and my studio goes every where i go.

I Recently bought a 50in flat screen tv and now i run the MBP straight out of the HDMI in to the flatscreen, then i turn the brightness down on my MBP.

A bit mad but works really well.
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

joeyluck

20 Jan 2015

I use a 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM.

I am looking to upgrade to a MacBook Air when they are updated with Intel Broadwell chips...

dvdrtldg

20 Jan 2015

Yep, 2010 MB Pro, never misses a beat. When it starts to show its age I'll get something faster (I'm constantly hitting the CPU ceiling with REs), but for now it's humming along as sweetly as the day I took it out of the box.

Heater

20 Jan 2015

I'm amazed how old some of the laptops are running Reason.  I guess it's a testament of the optimisations that the Props have put into the package.

I put a SSD drive into my 2009 macbook pro and it runs like lightning.

hydlide

20 Jan 2015

I am running Reason on my laptop (I7 Toshiba Satelite Pro) when travelling around. It runs pretty smooth.

And at least I can take my music with me and play with it for 4 hours straight (that was the max I could get out of it).

I am still considering putting an SSD in this laptop too. I recently stuffed my Desktop with it, and I was amazed with the speed you can get of it.

Shugga

20 Jan 2015

I have two studio machines, but I use my HP G42 laptop at work, Athlon II P340 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD.  The only issue I have when I am mobile is I use the proprietary sound card which has some latency.  If I am able to take one of my soundcards with me, it does a great job.

~Shugga
What is that smell?

rvman

20 Jan 2015

My Windows 8 laptop is all I have right now. Reason is rock solid on it.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

Orion

20 Jan 2015

Another laptop user here. I use R7.1 on a 2013 MacBook pro. Works like a charm.

I'm hoping to soon get a giant screen so I can split up the views of mixer and sequencer (and watch The Flash!)

Marketblandings

20 Jan 2015

I use a Lenovo i5 laptop w/ Widnows 8.1 and a small Behringer ASIO interface (UCA-222).

My songs get very part and device heavy. I just counted the instrument and effect devices (but not channel strips) in the rack for one of my finished songs and it totaled 81.

This 'puter runs all that - even unfolded -  without passing 40% on the CPU's and generally coasts along at maybe 15% CPU usage. Un-freaking-believable! :s0230:

• Information