Is Reason internet authorization a reliable/safe thing?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Higor

19 Jan 2015

I'm thinking about buying Reason 7 in a few weeks. But this internet authorization is something that bothers me. It's as if the software was never really yours. Because you must rely on someone to give you the authorization to use it or not.
And i think about hacker invasion messing up with accounts and the scenario of Propellerheads being sold to another company making rules change. I mean... what about twenty years from now?
So... this is my doubt. Thanks.

tt_lab

19 Jan 2015

You can authorize 1 computer for offline work. Also you can have Ignition Key for the same purposes.
The internet auth is for other computers when it is not the first cas scenario.

eusti

19 Jan 2015

Can you still buy Reason 7??

The thing that changed in 7 was that you can now authorize your computer...
So, unless you want to test Rack Extensions you wouldn't need to be connected to the internet after you do that...
But indeed, especially with the authorization server being a little unreliable in the past this might be a concern...
One thing though I'd very surprised about: If in 20 years you still had a working computer that allowed you to run Reason 7.
I've not had a computer that could run Propellerhead's ReBirth for several years now... And that came out in 98... 

D.

Purpleb

19 Jan 2015

I never could get the authorization to work.

I have R7 and on pheads it says that my computer and REs are authorized, but I still have to sign on to use R7.

Right now I am testing a RE so I know that it can't work if you are testing REs, but even when I am not it still makes me sign on.

Anyone know why? or have it worked for others?

Gaja

20 Jan 2015

It works nicely for me.
Technically speaking the software never was yours. Because the software is the code, which is clearly property of Propellerheads software. You purchase a license to use the software, not the software itself.
I don't have concerns about security at all, hacker invasions can destroy iLok authorization as well (or an entire countries electricity grid).
Also 400€ is no real investment over a period of 20 years...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

normen

20 Jan 2015

I found out that you can authorize one computer an still use the ignition key as well as internet authorization at the same time. I can't surely say if this is meant to be so or if it will continue to work that way but I accidentally authorized my laptop and it seems to work for me. When I did that I thought "oh darn, hope my ignition key still works" but it does and I can still put new licenses on it.

Ostermilk

20 Jan 2015

Purpleb wrote:I never could get the authorization to work.

I have R7 and on pheads it says that my computer and REs are authorized, but I still have to sign on to use R7.

Right now I am testing a RE so I know that it can't work if you are testing REs, but even when I am not it still makes me sign on.

You should only have to sign on if the Computer and RE's that you've purchased are authorized when you have RE's that you are trying or you are testing beta RE's.

So if you don't have any Try or Beta RE's in your account and you are still having to log in I'd put in a support request if I were you.

Ostermilk

20 Jan 2015

normen wrote:I found out that you can authorize one computer an still use the ignition key as well as internet authorization at the same time. I can't surely say if this is meant to be so or if it will continue to work that way but I accidentally authorized my laptop and it seems to work for me. When I did that I thought "oh darn, hope my ignition key still works" but it does and I can still put new licenses on it.
I'm pretty sure that's how it is supposed to work.  So say if you have a desktop that's been authorized you can still take a laptop out and use your key with that. (Provided you haven't left Reason running on your desktop).

As you've found out you can still manage licenses on your key (if you have one) with it plugged into your authorized machine.  Of course you'll want to be able to manage your key on your authorized machine to keep it synced when you are using the key on your mobile, studio or whatever other computer you want to plug your key into.

Higor

25 Jan 2015

Also 400€ is no real investment over a period of 20 years...
It's not just about the money but about the time that is invested in creating the files and then run the risk of not being able to open them anymore because something has changed without any warnings by a Big Brother.

EnochLight

25 Jan 2015

Higor wrote: I'm thinking about buying Reason 7 in a few weeks. But this internet authorization is something that bothers me. It's as if the software was never really yours. Because you must rely on someone to give you the authorization to use it or not.
And i think about hacker invasion messing up with accounts and the scenario of Propellerheads being sold to another company making rules change. I mean... what about twenty years from now?
So... this is my doubt. Thanks.
Higor wrote:Big Brother.
As others have already pointed out, you can authorize 1 computer for offline use and never have to connect the Internet ever again. Period. If Props went belly up and dissappaeared, it wouldn't matter just as long as your computer is authorized and disconnected from the Internet.

That said, Internet Authorization is completely safe if you do find that you need to use it. As far as being reliable, it's about as reliable as your Internet connection. ;) .

It should be mentioned that you are permitted to install Reason on as many computers as you want (1, five, a dozen) just so long as you are only using one instance at a time. So there's that. Kinda. Cool.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CharlyCharlzz

25 Jan 2015

Purpleb wrote:I never could get the authorization to work.

you never contacted support ?

I think the thread on this was saying that you had to cllean your cache or something ...

do not remember exactly but in basic the guy had something left from a trial somewhere in the computer or webbrowser and a clean up an re-autorize or synch after or before did solve it .

sorry I cant help more I use a dongle that works great .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

rvman

25 Jan 2015

I haven't had any issues with authorizing my laptop when following the steps correctly. The one time I messed up I contacted PH and they fixed it right away.

It's not difficult. Just know and follow the steps and it's great.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

Tincture

06 Feb 2015

I didn't want to start a new thread and this is the closest I could find with "Search". I've just bought a new RE (1st in a long time) and was dreading having to update as it fails A LOT for me. I'm now trying it for the 4th time! after 3 failures. I have tried from the Props site and from opening Reason (has failed the least for me in the past)... now I can't access any of my REs until it succeeds. 1h + already! My Internet connection is slow (dongle) but it costs me £5 a gigabyte and this is costing me money as well as patience.

They really need to sort this out so that it works for everyone, not just those with superfast bband :s0403:

bpmorton

06 Feb 2015

There is always the USB Ignition Key if you have problems with on-line authorization. I use the key at home on my big system and then take it with me to use on my laptop at gigs and practice. Only time I have to log-in is when I'm testing out a RE demo.

Theo.M

06 Feb 2015

Sorry to say it's incredibly unreliable here whenever the license needs "updating". I have calculated it at like 80 hrs of my life just gone, watching the authoriser update and fail. It's happened to me for hours in a single stretch before, and i see it makes it to 95% for example, get excited, then it fails with yellow exclamation warning. Then cycle rinse repeat, over and over.
It's ironic cause reason has been the most stable DAW for all time here, in 23 years doing music, as I have never had a single crash of Reason itself or ever lost any work. But the authorisation has been THE most UNreliable for me by a landslide. It sort of evens out with the crashing I have with other DAW's and the time it takes to work out which plugins will never work properly, say for example in Logic.
I mean the basic licensing that makes the program and RE's run is just as flakey as any DAW itself has ever been. Make sense?

It's very frustrating and propellerhead don't care, they'd rather devote server bandwidth to discover :s0959: , cause if they did care the server/codemeter combo would be fixed by now. It bothered me 3 years ago with Reason 6/6.5, but it wasn't that often it failed, just enough to be a minor annoyance, and I came back to Reason 7 almost a year ago, to it starting off fairly reliably, yet in the last 6 months being the most unreliable authorisation scheme for ANY software be it game/music/whatever, that I have ever had the displeasure of using. It ruins the experience somewhat and every time I start Reason I literally get scared. Can you believe that? Scared that I will have to do something to the license and it will fail and i will lose use of all my RE's. :frown:

SO.. the next time a license that has to be updated or "run without RE's" appears, I am going to start doing a quicktime movie recording in real time. First at speedtest.net to show my connection fine and working, which will only take a minute, then to show exactly how long, no edits or cuts, it takes for my license to be successfully updated and how many attempts. Then if they don't fix it within the next few months I am going to do something about it legally. I have literally had it. It has worked out to one hour every day over the past few months with authorisation headaches, when the time is averaged out. It's crazy and unfair.

bpmorton

06 Feb 2015

Hey Theo,

I'm guessing you have already contacted service about your problem. I had authorization problems a few weeks ago after recovering from a virus. The folks at PH helped me out with my problem during the New Years holiday when they were supposedly not there. They were totally cool about it even though the two guys that helped me were on vacation. I think they really do care about their customers and I think you should give it another try and get your problem fixed. :)

Higor

06 Feb 2015

Ok. I've bought Reason 8. I think now it's too late. :s0959:

On the site it's said that one must deauthorize reason before doing system changes. But, if the computer breaks down without previous warning or is stolen, then, one must contact the support to prove that bought reason? Is this it?

orthodox
RE Developer

06 Feb 2015

Higor wrote:On the site it's said that one must deauthorize reason before doing system changes. But, if the computer breaks down without previous warning or is stolen, then, one must contact the support to prove that bought reason? Is this it?
Yes: https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... ted-below/

Theo.M

06 Feb 2015

bpmorton wrote:Hey Theo,

I'm guessing you have already contacted service about your problem. I had authorization problems a few weeks ago after recovering from a virus. The folks at PH helped me out with my problem during the New Years holiday when they were supposedly not there. They were totally cool about it even though the two guys that helped me were on vacation. I think they really do care about their customers and I think you should give it another try and get your problem fixed. :)
This is the rather common problem of an RE heavy system that needs frequent license updates and it failing at a certain percentage. It is 100% a problem of the propellerhead server and the only thing they can do is fix the authorisation server, there IS no other possible fix. Disabling firewalls, removing anti viruses, etc, does nothing. I am on mac and have no viruses but I do have bit defender installed as I am a cautious type (i go off the net and disable it when i am using reason offline with a successfully updated license, as to not impact performance).

I started a thread about it at the PUF, and other members that hadn't seen my topic, started another 3 threads within a week of mine citing the same problem, with many replies to each topic from different members. Add them all up, and it is a widespread issue, you either have the issue or you don't, but it's far from being uncommon, unfortunately. If i was alone in this, i would feel quite happy knowing that it must be something from this end that we could track down and fix, but alas, this is not the case.

(PS I am pretty certain the more RE's installed the larger and more complex the license file is - i never had an issue at the start with R7 with a few RE's - it all started later on in life.. PPS I have removed every RE from my system including all cache, and confirmed this by reason launching and showing no RE's anywhere, and reinstalled on by one from scratch to no avail).

Tincture

06 Feb 2015

Well, I did get my 100% a while after. But as one who has his USB Dongle in always when the PC verification fails, so does the dongle... so I'm still without all my REs. I can hear u say well unplug ur dongle... hmmm yeah, but that'd only leave me with the state I'm trying to UPDATE!

Sort it OUT! Please! :s0801:

Gaja

07 Feb 2015

That sounds frustrating...
Luckily I have never had to deal with this problem. I only have about 30 REs, so it's apparently not so complicated to update the license.
Have you tried it on other computers? Because there might be system dependant factors to rule out. On my iMac I've had serious issues with the logging versions (R7), as in it took like 8 Minutes or so to start Reason, which was a problem on my end apparently. So maybe it does depend on your end.
I'd be interested to know how long the authorization takes for Ryan, who said he has shitloads of REs.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

bpmorton

07 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:
This is the rather common problem of an RE heavy system that needs frequent license updates and it failing at a certain percentage. It is 100% a problem of the propellerhead server and the only thing they can do is fix the authorisation server, there IS no other possible fix. Disabling firewalls, removing anti viruses, etc, does nothing. I am on mac and have no viruses but I do have bit defender installed as I am a cautious type (i go off the net and disable it when i am using reason offline with a successfully updated license, as to not impact performance).

I started a thread about it at the PUF, and other members that hadn't seen my topic, started another 3 threads within a week of mine citing the same problem, with many replies to 
Theo.M wrote:each 
Theo.M wrote:topic from different members. Add them all up, and it is a widespread issue, you either have the issue or you don't, but it's far from being uncommon, unfortunately. If i was alone in this, i would feel quite happy knowing that it must be something from this end that we could track down and fix, but alas, this is not the case.

(PS I am pretty certain the more RE's installed the larger and more complex the license file is - i never had an issue at the start with R7 with a few RE's - it all started later on in life.. PPS I have removed every RE from my system including all cache, and confirmed this by reason launching and showing no RE's anywhere, and reinstalled on by one from scratch to no avail).
How many RE's did you get loaded before the authorization failed?

Theo.M

07 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:

I started a thread about it at the PUF, and other members that hadn't seen my topic, started another 3 threads within a week of mine citing the same problem, with many replies to 
Theo.M wrote:each 
Theo.M wrote:topic from different members. Add them all up, and it is a widespread issue, you either have the issue or you don't, but it's far from being uncommon, unfortunately. If i was alone in this, i would feel quite happy knowing that it must be something from this end that we could track down and fix, but alas, this is not the case.

bpmorton wrote:
How many RE's did you get loaded before the authorization failed?
i had probably bought about 15 when i started having problems, but i had tried 100 on demo.

• Information