Motif Rack and midi out help please

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Neko the Jaguar

19 Jan 2015

Good afternoon gents.  I just got wind of this site from the Props site.  Looks like a great place.  Now, on to my problem.
I would like to use the sounds from my Motif Rack.  
So far, I have a usb midi "in" going into the "out" of the Motfi Rack.  
My Preferences Sync page has "Bus A: 3-Oxygen 49 MIDI In". My Output is set to "3-Oxygen 49 MIDI Out".  
When I press any key,  channel 1 lights up in the advanced midi device section.  I'm showing "EMI 1 In" on the channel 1 strip.  
On my audio interface (M-Audio M-Track) "midi out" lights up when I press the keys or use pitch bend or the mod wheel.
On my External Midi Instrument module, "note" blinks when I press any key.  When I use the pitch bend or mod wheel, "Midi" blinks.  
The Motif doesn't seem to be receiving the midi messages.  "Basic Rec Channel" is set to 1.
"Transmit Channel" is set to 1.
"Device No." is set to 1.
"Midi Sync" is set to MIDI
"Midi IN/OUT" is set to USB

I have tried several different settings and nothing seems to work.  I've watched pretty much every video I can find, and still can't get it. 
When I go to "Options:Sync" and set to "Send Midi Clock", it just freezes me out, turns off my controller and I have to reboot my computer. 

I know this works because I got it to work one time. I don't  know how I did it, but I had to pack up and move and disassemble everything.  
Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time.

Image  Image  Image    

Attachments
20150119_133136.jpg
20150119_133136.jpg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 1570 times

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Your setup is the problem. Your Utility settings on the Motif rack however are correct.

First off, you don't need any of that advanced midi stuff or anything in the Sync menu. All of that (except midi clock output) is for controlling Reason devices not external ones. All you need is the EMI device. 

Second thing is you named 3 different midi devices. Basically you need to send midi (on the EMI device) to whatever the Motif rack is connected to. Being that the Motif Rack has a usb connection, just use that. (ignore the oxygen and m-track for this) If you haven't already make sure you've downloaded and installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver so that you're computer will recognize the Motif as midi i/o. (you may need to restart Reason if you're installing it while Reason is open)

Once that's done The motif should be selectable via the EMI Device from Reason. The EMI is controllable from any keyboard you set up n the Control surfaces menu (in Preferences) just like all the other Reason devices.

Neko the Jaguar

20 Jan 2015

Thank you very much QVprod.  Its working perfectly.  I also have a JV880 and a K Station. I'm assuming they would work the same, so long as I have the drivers, yes?

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Sorry Just seeing this. If those also have USB ports then sure you can do the same. Otherwise you would use a regular midi cable from the midi out of either your m track or oxygen to the desired synth/module.

• Information