Question: Merging Audio Clips

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

18 Jan 2015

In the past I have used the normalize option to clean up merged audio clips so that they actually become one long clip instead of being treated as one in the sequencer, but this changes the levels in the clips. Is bounce to new recording a better method for retaining original levels while also cleaning up the audio to remove embedded versions of the old clips?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

QVprod

18 Jan 2015

Yes. You have to delete the unused recordings afterwards but  yes Bounce to new recordings keeps the same levels. 

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

Isn't there a clean up unused recordings option somewhere?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

ScuzzyEye

19 Jan 2015

It's under the right-click menu of the clip, but only shows up if there are indeed unused recordings.

Raveshaper

19 Jan 2015

To be honest, I have never really understood what makes something qualify as used or unused. Bouncing things is a bit of a head scratcher for me at times.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ScuzzyEye

19 Jan 2015

A clip is unused if no parts of it are active in the comp editor. If you have an audio track that's the entire length of the song, and cut it in half, and then record a new half. The original clip is still half used, while you can delete it from the new recording it will still take up the full space in the file. But if you cut the clip in half, and then bounce both halves, they will be stored as two individual recordings, and the original will be completely unused, and can be deleted from both halves, and then when the file is saved and optimized, the data will be discarded. Then you can replace one half with a new recording, and the half what was replaced will also be unused. If you join clips together and then bounce, they will be represented by a single recording.

Yeah, that probably didn't clear anything up. :P (But I think I just found the topic for my next instructional video.)

The more time spent in the comp editor, the more obvious it becomes about working with a sliced single recording, verses multiple recordings.

• Information