Animosity for R8... I'm missing out!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
normen

18 Jan 2015

Well more importantly I hope you got off that WinXP install ;)

CephaloPod

18 Jan 2015

Ah, the first Reason 8 upgrade discussion on the new board.  This is our first true test.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

ohmygoff

18 Jan 2015

normen wrote:Well more importantly I hope you got off that WinXP install ;)
GeorgeFeb wrote:
What is XP?  :roll:
What is R8? :P

rvman

18 Jan 2015

I absolutely love R8. Having a blast with it.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

zeebot

18 Jan 2015

CephaloPod wrote:Ah, the first Reason 8 upgrade discussion on the new board.  This is our first true test.
You know what, I'm absolutely fine that he likes R8, pleased even...I'm loving this new laid back feeling.

I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

polardozer

18 Jan 2015

pilgrimOmega wrote: I was always a fast upgrader, but I ended up stuck on R6.5 on an xp system when a lot of folks got onto R7.

In November I went from 6.5 to 8, which was a huge change for me. And while no DAW is ever perfect and there are still many things the Props can improve, I am still loving R8 for the most part.

I guess it sucks to be unsatisfied.
Honestly, I like RE8, but would like it more if I could figure out how to use midi with it!

Ostermilk

18 Jan 2015

CephaloPod wrote:Ah, the first Reason 8 upgrade discussion on the new board.  This is our first true test.
zeebot wrote:
You know what, I'm absolutely fine that he likes R8, pleased even...I'm loving this new laid back feeling.
zeebot wrote: 
Yeah, but that's absolutely no excuse for sticking your cheesy feet in everyone's face is it?

QVprod

18 Jan 2015

On that note...... Reason 9 FTW!  :D

robsynth

18 Jan 2015

I like R8 so far, although I must agree that the transport graphic change is a bit weird!

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

Ostermilk wrote:Yeah, but that's absolutely no excuse for sticking your cheesy feet in everyone's face is it?
GeorgeFeb wrote:
How do you know that they are cheesy? :)

Does internet got that far already?
Are you saying you don't have the free PH RE-Odorama? :s0238: It is all smelly in th PUF!

Gaja

19 Jan 2015

pilgrimOmega wrote: I was always a fast upgrader, but I ended up stuck on R6.5 on an xp system when a lot of folks got onto R7.

In November I went from 6.5 to 8, which was a huge change for me. And while no DAW is ever perfect and there are still many things the Props can improve, I am still loving R8 for the most part.

I guess it sucks to be unsatisfied.
polardozer wrote:
Honestly, I like RE8, but would like it more if I could figure out how to use midi with it!
What midi related task are you unable to get reason to perform? Maybe I or someone else can help you out...

On a sidenote, I am actually quite content with R8. Yeah the transport looks a bit weird, but everything works. I'm having the same level of fun with it as before and some things go faster than before, so to me it has been an improvement.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Heater

19 Jan 2015

This is the first time I've not upgraded Reason.  I'm still on Reason 7.

But I'm happy about that.  I don't feel that I'm missing out.  Reason 7 feels pretty much feature complete and stable.
And it's not like there are RE's that only run on R8 etc...

I really don't see a compelling argument to upgrade.

InavigableHeart

19 Jan 2015

From the perspective of an R7 user there are some quite desirable aspects of R8 such as; easy sample dropping in the sequencer and on drum pads etc; a faster browser, a few minor midi editing enhancements; some decent amps that aren't relevant to my music... thats about it.

If that's all it provided I'd feel simply abivalent about it, but the fact that this update also ruins good aspects of the older workflow, severely damages the ergonomics of some setups, and in many people's opinions harms the legibility and function of parts of the UI... all followed by some cheesy OTT marketing lingo. For these reasons its caused such a hullabaloo. 8.1 hasn't helped either as very few of the conerns people raised were addressed. If you love and use Reason every day, this trajectory is quite a worry.

And now with the brutal closure of the PUF, I think many of us old-timers are feeling a bit... :frown:

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

Heater wrote: And it's not like there are RE's that only run on R8 etc...
Wait until Reason 9, when SDK3 is launched, and they demand that all new RE's plus upgrades to existing RE's be compatible only on that platform. They have already been pushing devs to refrain from any updates in SDK1. "Mister Silent' from That Music Company also said as much, in a roundabout way.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

19 Jan 2015

InavigableHeart wrote:From the perspective of an R7 user there are some quite desirable aspects of R8 such as
In contrast, there are many aspects that are very undesirable to users. It's one thing to avoid upgrading when the features list is thinning, but for Reason 8 there are changes that are actively detested. For me, it's the over-bright sequencer and the ridiculous situation with being unable to return to the existing patch when browsing. Neither of these make ANY sense. Nor does the changed transport bar add value - who was asking for that to be changed as a feature request? And what's this I hear about Rex loops not playing in the tempo of the project? Surely I'm misunderstanding that last point. Where is the slew of workflow improvements? They promised a slew, but I see no slew.

Actually they misused the word. What the fuck were they even talking about? The definition of slew is as follows, and in a way we could apply this to Propellerhead's market share after Reason 8, or perhaps the reaction from existing users

slew

turn or slide violently or uncontrollably
My Words are my ART

selig
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

InavigableHeart wrote:From the perspective of an R7 user there are some quite desirable aspects of R8 such as
Namahs Amrak wrote:
In contrast, there are many aspects that are very undesirable to users. It's one thing to avoid upgrading when the features list is thinning, but for Reason 8 there are changes that are actively detested. For me, it's the over-bright sequencer and the ridiculous situation with being unable to return to the existing patch when browsing. Neither of these make ANY sense. Nor does the changed transport bar add value - who was asking for that to be changed as a feature request? And what's this I hear about Rex loops not playing in the tempo of the project? Surely I'm misunderstanding that last point. Where is the slew of workflow improvements? They promised a slew, but I see no slew.

Actually they misused the word. What the fuck were they even talking about? The definition of slew is as follows, and in a way we could apply this to Propellerhead's market share after Reason 8, or perhaps the reaction from existing users

Namahs Amrak wrote:slew
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Namahs Amrak wrote:1
Namahs Amrak wrote:.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Namahs Amrak wrote:turn or slide violently or uncontrollably

Yes, that's the verb slew - but they didn't use it as a verb, it was used as a noun:   ;)
(and yes, I agree with everything else you stated - makes little sense in the big picture, at least from our vantage point)

4slew
 noun
: a large number of people or things

Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
Wait until Reason 9, when SDK3 is launched, and they demand that all new RE's plus upgrades to existing RE's be compatible only on that platform. They have already been pushing devs to refrain from any updates in SDK1. "Mister Silent' from That Music Company also said as much, in a roundabout way.
There has to be a cutoff somewhere - maintaining and developing for multiple SDKs is tedious at best. There will always be a push to get users and developers on the latest version. It is easier to manage, to trouble shoot, to fix bugs, etc. 

For the record, they have never "demanded" anything, but there will be a point where support for older versions of the app and SDK will have to be dropped. 
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Heater

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
selig wrote:
There has to be a cutoff somewhere - maintaining and developing for multiple SDKs is tedious at best. There will always be a push to get users and developers on the latest version. It is easier to manage, to trouble shoot, to fix bugs, etc. 

For the record, they have never "demanded" anything, but there will be a point where support for older versions of the app and SDK will have to be dropped. 
I can understand that.  As far as you know.  And I know you are under NDA so might not be able to answer this.  But is there a new SDK that is will generate RE's that only run on R8 or newer?

selig
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
selig wrote:

Heater wrote:
I can understand that.  As far as you know.  And I know you are under NDA so might not be able to answer this.  But is there a new SDK that is will generate RE's that only run on R8 or newer?
No, there is only SDK1 and SDK2 at present. Synchronous is an example of an SDK2 RE, and it runs on Reason 7.1 and later. 
Selig Audio, LLC

Heater

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
selig wrote:

Heater wrote:
selig wrote:
No, there is only SDK1 and SDK2 at present. Synchronous is an example of an SDK2 RE, and it runs on Reason 7.1 and later. 
Thanks.

I guess the Props will know how many of their existing customers are on R7.1 and taylor the next SDK requirements accordingly.

Majestik Monkey

19 Jan 2015

normen wrote:Well more importantly I hope you got off that WinXP install ;)
GeorgeFeb wrote:
What is XP?  :roll:
ohmygoff wrote:
What is R8? :P
The one before R9  :t2018:

• Information