Pretty Please: subforum/section request

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

16 Jan 2015

Hello everyone,

I would like to humbly request a forum section specifically devoted to CV. The topics "Patching", "Device Routing", and "Modular Design" are nearly synonymous, but a name that contains "CV" is preferable since it can be found on many of the ports throughout Reason. Perhaps a hybrid along the lines of "CV Routing"?

I feel that building patches and using CV to leverage the possible results from stock devices is the biggest selling point of Reason that is least discussed in the context of a focused and specified topic all to itself.

I also see myself posting there rather heavily, as well as asking more technical questions.
It's good to be here at the turning of the page to a new chapter in our journey.

Thank you!
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Theo.M

16 Jan 2015

QwaizanG wrote:Hello everyone,

I would like to humbly request a forum section specifically devoted to CV. The topics "Patching", "Device Routing", and "Modular Design" are nearly synonymous, but a name that contains "CV" is preferable since it can be found on many of the ports throughout Reason. Perhaps a hybrid along the lines of "CV Routing"?

I feel that building patches and using CV to leverage the possible results from stock devices is the biggest selling point of Reason that is least discussed in the context of a focused and specified topic all to itself.

I also see myself posting there rather heavily, as well as asking more technical questions.
It's good to be here at the turning of the page to a new chapter in our journey.

Thank you!
What a wonderful idea.. and perhaps could include various workaround tips in these scenarios to best use VMG or other means when using a bunch of latent plugins in CV crazy routings. :)

Raveshaper

16 Jan 2015

I already have an opportunity to learn: what is VMG?

Pepin

16 Jan 2015

QwaizanG wrote:I already have an opportunity to learn: what is VMG?
VMG is Normen's sample-accurate delay RE (for manual latency compensation)
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ple-delay/

Theo.M

16 Jan 2015

incredibly cheap too and currently the best solution to lock audio in time when using plugins with latency without automatic pdc in reason.

However do note to have automation on the grid and the song cursor in perfect time in these situations, VMG can't help there and you will need to bounce and snip your bounces.

Cheers
(ps if it's only a few samples, the automation/song cursor is not at all relevant, use vmg in realtime to your heart's content, and think about other workarounds only really when you have a stack of high latency plugins going)

Edit: Spelling only which reminds me.. would love to have a way to put our edit reason in :)

eusti

16 Jan 2015

While I think that a CV subforum would be a great idea (maybe in a little time later), I'm not sure how to differentiate between CV stuff and "normal" Reason routing... Would each time you'd use a VMG be a CV case? Would parallel processing be? Of course some cases are more clear than others, but at times some CV stuff feels like a very normal way of doing things in Reason...

D.

Theo.M

16 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:While I think that a CV subforum would be a great idea (maybe in a little time later), I'm not sure how to differentiate between CV stuff and "normal" Reason routing... Would each time you'd use a VMG be a CV case? Would parallel processing be? Of course some cases are more clear than others, but at times some CV stuff feels like a very normal way of doing things in Reason...

D.
vmg does not use cv at all, it's an audio i/o device..  ;)

I made that suggestion that BECAUSE of cv, routing in reason can get very intense, and sometimes it's not immediately apparent to all of us where to best place the VMG if needed, so some tips would be handy. 

eusti

16 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote: vmg does not use cv at all, it's an audio i/o device..  ;)

I made that suggestion that BECAUSE of cv, routing in reason can get very intense, and sometimes it's not immediately apparent to all of us where to best place the VMG if needed, so some tips would be handy. 
Wasn't sure about VMG as I don't have it (yet)...

Thanks for clarifying!

And "yes" to all tips and tricks and how to tutorials!

D.

Lunesis

16 Jan 2015

I hope the 'Tutorials and Techniques' forum will fit you needs for now, since this could be considered a technique. If you gents can really fill that forum up with the goods I will consider a CV subforum to keep things organized. 

Raveshaper

17 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:I'm not sure how to differentiate between CV stuff and "normal" Reason routing...
This is a good point, let me chime in with my thoughts. To me, CV relates to situations where you want to create responsive patches or combinator based modular systems that function in both an automated way and with more complex or dynamic behavior than can be achieved through stock devices by themselves. I can give an example.

Everything related to the topic of using a Dr. OctoRex device as a stand alone sample and loop player would fall under a tips/techniques/tutorials discussion. But an in-depth how-to that intricately explains how to use a combination of midi controller mappings and CV networking to trigger loop slots instead of loop slices via midi -- effectively transforming the Dr. OctoRex into a pad triggered, tempo-matched loop player similar to Traktor -- is a highly specified topic best suited for those interested in CV.
One discussion is about a comprehensive knowledge of devices, the other discussion is about how to develop device networks, modular patches, or super modular systems based on stock components that effectively extend the program beyond default behavior. Does that make more sense in terms of a measurable difference?

I base my feelings of importance for this being implemented on how many times I have seen newer users say that they have no idea what CV is or what they can do with it. Since CV is the most powerful thing in Reason and is unique in the DAW market as far as I know, I think it deserves a place of focus. But that's just me perhaps.

I look forward to the section if it gets opened, I will adjust if it either isn't a popular idea and never happens or it gets shelved because of lack of interest.

Edit: For now, I will have to go through my patches and write some how-tos for the Tutorials and Techniques section.
I think I'll start off with a couple articles on Dr. OctoRex. Might be a couple days because I'm developing a rather ambitious template.
Thanks for reading :)

eusti

17 Jan 2015

@ QwaizanG: Thanks for your explanation! And I agree that it's most likely best to just start adding the content you want to have where it fits best now...
When Lunesis is convinced that there is enough traffic to warrant a subcategory you might get your wish!
Looking forward to read your tutorials! (I'm fascinated by what is achievable through the use of CV, but I usually get distracted before digging in too deep!) :P

D.

Raveshaper

17 Jan 2015

See? There's clearly a market for this information :D

I have been planning on writing up a bunch of tutorials for a while but this fresh start seems like the time to do it. I'll put them up when they're ready.

• Information