Discover or not 2 Discover ?!?!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
CharlyCharlzz
Posts: 906
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015


I just think we all here because of it ,

I bet they need the forum staff for it to run so they just cut this service !

did anybody tried it ? is there a video better then the Props demo .....maybe a video done by a user?

did you try it and if yes what did you think of it ?

I am on 7.1 so I dont plan going for 8.1 yet , I did plan for a 8.1 upgrade in 02/2015 but this will wait now .
It does not die , it multiplies !

 7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

User avatar
Gaja
Posts: 998
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 16 Jan 2015

Well I certainly plan to use it for promotional purposes, once I have the concept figured out properly.
Also of course it will need lots of time to develop to a point where it is really useful, like find all contributions from certain users, stem export etc. but I am quite positive that it could become a really cool resource for all kinds of useful stuff. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks about using discover for promotion, so at some point I'm sure there will be lots of professional content available there.
Apart from that it's really useful to quickly check your mixes on your phone/ car radio etc. be sure to select "unlisted" for that purpose, so it will not be made publicly available.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

User avatar
zeebot
Posts: 628
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: The Factory

Post 16 Jan 2015

I'm sticking with 7.1 until at least R9 comes out.
I have take and figure and have browsed discover. In theory it sounds amazing, tons of musicians collaborating, sharing across platforms etc but I find the beta page (yes I know its only beta) a little unispiring. Bland loops and 40 second 'songs' from figure.
It is either going to be a massive hit or a waste ground full of unusable content uploaded by casual users messing around on their phone/ipad with no musical merit.
The downside to this 'marriage' of platforms is that anyone can now download figure or take and upload. Be prepared for lots of 'My first song in figure' uploads of simply god awful crap.
Have fun sifting through that, there is already some useless content on there, more will follow.
But...it may be a massive hit
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote:I'm sticking with 7.1 until at least R9 comes out.
I have take and figure and have browsed discover. In theory it sounds amazing, tons of musicians collaborating, sharing across platforms etc but I find the beta page (yes I know its only beta) a little unispiring. Bland loops and 40 second 'songs' from figure.
It is either going to be a massive hit or a waste ground full of unusable content uploaded by casual users messing around on their phone/ipad with no musical merit.
The downside to this 'marriage' of platforms is that anyone can now download figure or take and upload. Be prepared for lots of 'My first song in figure' uploads of simply god awful crap.
Have fun sifting through that, there is already some useless content on there, more will follow.
But...it may be a massive hit
I didn't try it yet but if they add more ways to connect with people and do more one-to-one sharing then it could be quite useful. Obviously there will be a lot of thrash-ish stuff on there but just like on facebook or twitter you don't need to follow all the crap thats posted there..? But yeah, just having one huge list of everything that has ever been posted on Discover would be pretty useless imo.

User avatar
ebop
Posts: 142
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: NZ

Post 16 Jan 2015

I use Drop and Discover as part of my music writing process rather than to share. It's quick, tidy and stable. I Drop my tracks I'm working on (unlisted). Open them on my Discover page. Send them to Take and loop it. Gives me a chance to walk around the house, listen to it, and think of changes. It's so much more efficient than how I was doing it previously having to Airdrop to my iMac and then go through iTunes to get tracks on to my phone. Pain in the ass that was. One day I'd really like to try a collaboration though.

User avatar
jfrichards
Posts: 1171
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: New York

Post 16 Jan 2015

Drop to Discover is very convenient.  I hit the upload box in 8.1, choose a name and either song or loop, and that's it.  Then I have a link to post anywhere.  In emails, to bandmates, in forums, Facebook, wherever.  If I had a smartphone, it would replace my 1"x2" mp3 player I carry at all times with all my songs and works in progress for review wherever I go.  And a smartphone with Take would replace my 1"x3" dictation/wav recorder that I keep near me 24 hrs/day.  I can see where this is going.  So can Ernst.  It's right in line with how I compose, with the added benefit of instant download back into Reason.  Damnation, I'm talking myself into it.

User avatar
CharlyCharlzz
Posts: 906
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

you guys got a lot's of good points ,

Gaia sayed you can share in hidden mod wich is a option I never heard about on the other forum !

I am like zeebot waiting to upgrade but I will maybe not wait until R9 , well I missed the sales already but maybe they will be a offer I cant miss in the futur is what I'm saying .

I hope guys or them damn kids with i-pads will start sharing mad and maybe I could see a video from one of them to see how that work . :thumbup:
It does not die , it multiplies !

 7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

User avatar
Rook
Posts: 152
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

When I first read about it, I thought it sounded cool...in theory. But, I don't know if I can see it really panning out as a useful tool for the more "serious" types. Kinda seems super casual to me. Like Zeebot said, lots of "my first phat beatz" kinda crap from kids with iphones. I'm interested to see where it goes though. I could be totally wrong.

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 2049
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2015

Must admit I've not properly looked into Discover yet. I'm a little confused by the whole thing to be honest. Also a little concerned about the legal stuff people were 'discussing' on the Prop's forum. Sounds a bit grey. Not at all clear.

I'm guessing the whole thing will make a lot more sense once out of beta, with the service in fall flow & with the new website imminent. It seemed to me that Propellerhead were making quite a big deal of this. So I'm guessing it has a lot more up it's sleeve than what we have seen so far.

I liked what ebop said early about the way he uses Drop. Interesting. But am I correct in assuming you need Reason 8.1 for all this stuff?

User avatar
CharlyCharlzz
Posts: 906
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

Rook wrote:When I first read about it, I thought it sounded cool...in theory. But, I don't know if I can see it really panning out as a useful tool for the more "serious" types. Kinda seems super casual to me. Like Zeebot said, lots of "my first phat beatz" kinda crap from kids with iphones. I'm interested to see where it goes though. I could be totally wrong.
yhea we will see in the futur if it opens up to everybody or what not I guess .
Faastwalker wrote:Must admit I've not properly looked into Discover yet. I'm a little confused by the whole thing to be honest. Also a little concerned about the legal stuff people were 'discussing' on the Prop's forum. Sounds a bit grey. Not at all clear.

I'm guessing the whole thing will make a lot more sense once out of beta, with the service in fall flow & with the new website imminent. It seemed to me that Propellerhead were making quite a big deal of this. So I'm guessing it has a lot more up it's sleeve than what we have seen so far.

I liked what ebop said early about the way he uses Drop. Interesting. But am I correct in assuming you need Reason 8.1 for all this stuff?
exactly it's too early to really know but I must say it could turn out to be interesting .
It does not die , it multiplies !

 7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Flandersh
Posts: 124
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Norway

Post 17 Jan 2015

Faastwalker wrote:Must admit I've not properly looked into Discover yet. I'm a little confused by the whole thing to be honest. Also a little concerned about the legal stuff people were 'discussing' on the Prop's forum. Sounds a bit grey. Not at all clear.

I'm guessing the whole thing will make a lot more sense once out of beta, with the service in fall flow & with the new website imminent. It seemed to me that Propellerhead were making quite a big deal of this. So I'm guessing it has a lot more up it's sleeve than what we have seen so far.

I liked what ebop said early about the way he uses Drop. Interesting. But am I correct in assuming you need Reason 8.1 for all this stuff?
As a Reason 4 user with no plan to upgrade in the first, this discover may not be available to me anyway. But as you I do not see what it is all about. Presonus made something called exchange where users in Studio One could share all kind of stuffs; from loops and drum sets to presets and I wonder if it would be something like that. I have never shared anything in Studio One this way, and there does not seem to be much shared this way yet either. The last time I shared much was with Reasonstation and Combinatorhq, which did work great enough for the purpose. So I wonder what it would be, but as you I think I have to wait to see what is to discover.

User avatar
jfrichards
Posts: 1171
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: New York

Post 17 Jan 2015

The beta version is still just mp3 up and down loading between 8.1, Figure, and Take, and postings are hand-picked by Props.  Hints are that it will be way more.

User avatar
Hollownation
Posts: 20
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

I only just realized there's a button on the transport for this thing (I'm still on 7) and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. It feels a bit too social networky for my liking and like they say there are many ways of communicating in this modern age do we really need another. Personally if I'm going to collab with someone drop box is more than adequate and means I can share things other than props related material feels like their trying to lock us in a little bit.

User avatar
zeebot
Posts: 628
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: The Factory

Post 17 Jan 2015

Like I said on the PUF I dont use facebook, twitter, google+, instagram or any other 'social media' type of communication.
I find it shallow, intrusive and limiting. I'm tired of the onslaught of things like these..I actually saw a police car a while ago with a twiiter bird on the side!!
I mean, the actual real police have a moronic twitter bird and link on their car!!
Absolutely ridiculous!!
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

User avatar
ohmygoff
Posts: 62
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

Being a relic from the 'good' old days of 4-track cassette recording, I'm not really into that bounce-everything-to-stereo-again thing, now that I finally have the freedom of unlimited digital multitracks.

'Original version stereo + new stereo track from collab partner' to send back and forth would be the minimum tech requirements for me to really get interested in Discover.

User avatar
bpmorton
Posts: 431
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

Discover is like an orgy where everyone gets the clap. No thanks.

User avatar
ionly
Posts: 305
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jan 2015

I wonder if the new website will have some kind of Myspace (if anyone fondly remembers that?) vibe to it, with visible user accounts and any respective Discover clips attached to a personal player. Moreover, when anyone uploads a clip, all and sundry can see it in the 'pool' and whom it belongs to. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but just pondering the idea

Cheers

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7433
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 18 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:I just think we all here because of it.
I thought we're all here because the PUF is shutting down? :D

On topic: I don't use Discover, but I absolutely love Drop to Prop and being able to share projects between Reason and Take. Priceless, IMHO. I use it to test vocal ideas/mixes in Take whenever the muse strikes, and I use it to test mixes in my car via my iPhone without having to take up space on my phone. What's not to like?

But yeah, Discover seems aimed at a totally different demographic than me.
Win 10 | Abelton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Sumsung 870 QVO 2 TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 323
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

I can see a future on that...if different audio and reason file formats are admited.
But,I am seeijg it now as a way for PH to give away some cool drumloops for free ;)

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

Flandersh wrote: As a Reason 4 user with no plan to upgrade in the first, this discover may not be available to me anyway.
Wow, you're still on Reason 4? While I won't particularly promote 8.1 as good value, it has come a LONG way since R4. Yo would be blown out if you upgraded tomorrow.

But of course you must be very happy with the version you're on, and if you're making music without any major sense of feeling restricted, then R4 can serve you forever. It's still  a whole lot more powerful that the hardware that many of us grew up using.
My Words are my ART

Flandersh
Posts: 124
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Norway

Post 18 Jan 2015

Flandersh wrote: As a Reason 4 user with no plan to upgrade in the first, this discover may not be available to me anyway.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Wow, you're still on Reason 4? While I won't particularly promote 8.1 as good value, it has come a LONG way since R4. Yo would be blown out if you upgraded tomorrow.
Yeah it sure has come a long way and I was sort of blown out (rather than blown in) at version 6, so I downgraded from that moment on.

Reason 4 has the value it had for me in the beginning, letting me explore modularity beyond it limits. And together with some of the old geniuses working in Reason, like Roosty vs Fremen, this transcendence of limits shows it greatest potential.

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Banned user
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 18 Jan 2015

Flandersh wrote: Yeah it sure has come a long way and I was sort of blown out (rather than blown in) at version 6, so I downgraded from that moment on.
This year we are going to produce an album of some tracks made by me over the years, and as I'm reviewing the huge archive of material, am noticing that my Reason 4 songs are generally better - compositionally and sound wise -  than those done in Reason 7. I think a significant factor is that there were less distractions (ie less native devices, no audio and no RE's).
My Words are my ART

User avatar
CharlyCharlzz
Posts: 906
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:I just think we all here because of it.
EnochLight wrote: I thought we're all here because the PUF is shutting down? :D On topic: I don't use Discover, but I absolutely love Drop to Prop and being able to share projects between Reason and Take. Priceless, IMHO. I use it to test vocal ideas/mixes in Take whenever the muse strikes, and I use it to test mixes in my car via my iPhone without having to take up space on my phone. What's not to like? But yeah, Discover seems aimed at a totally different demographic than me.

Yhea I think the being at home feeling we have here is a bit confusing for me now :)

I will try this once it roll's straight but poor commercial DR-Rex Refill's will  drop on sales if you can pick what you want ?!?!!?

It does not die , it multiplies !

 7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Yandex [Bot] and 3 guests