Ernst's Official Announcement regarding the end of PUF

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jamesville

18 Jan 2015

They are closing the forums because the honest and negative comments about its flagship product affected sales & the companies image.

Understandable, arrogant & one ballsy decision but ultimately ignorant of the fact that you have pissed off the very people who inject income into your companies backbone.

Iapetus 9

18 Jan 2015

Jamesville wrote:They are closing the forums because the honest and negative comments about its flagship product affected sales & the companies image. Understandable, arrogant & one ballsy decision but ultimately ignorant of the fact that you have pissed off the very people who inject income into your companies backbone.
Hyperbole and assumption. No one knows why they shut it down, and those that do know ain't telling. My assumption is completely different than yours, and at any rate, the PUF needs more than a good cleaning. It needs a nukin. Seriously...it was like breaking teeth in there.
38L > 51D every time.

phasys

18 Jan 2015

Jamesville wrote:They are closing the forums because the honest and negative comments about its flagship product affected sales & the companies image. Understandable, arrogant & one ballsy decision but ultimately ignorant of the fact that you have pissed off the very people who inject income into your companies backbone.
Iapetus 9 wrote:
Hyperbole and assumption. No one knows why they shut it down, and those that do know ain't telling. My assumption is completely different than yours, and at any rate, the PUF needs more than a good cleaning. It needs a nukin. Seriously...it was like breaking teeth in there.
Thousands and thousands of howto's, documents, insights, downright technical info, completely destroyed. Sounds like the burning of the library of Alexandria. 

Not to mention that we can't sit happily with Reason 7 forever. They'll never support it for future Windows or Mac OS versions. So you'll be forced to upgrade to that atrocity called Reason 8 anyway. Which I'll never be doing, since those swedish moneygrubbers are never making a penny from me anymore.

jfrichards

18 Jan 2015

German philosophy discovered the secret workings of all things in the 1840's, called Dialectical and Historical Materialism. It states that within any given thing, there exist two fundamental components, one being the original old feature, and the other being the emerging new feature. Through the processes going on between these contradictory features, always evolutionary, sometimes revolutionary, a new thing emerges, discarding the old and establishing the new. This law of development applies to all phenomena, from atomic structures, to social formations, to galactic events.

Welcome to the new.

EnochLight

18 Jan 2015

I'm wondering if Dialectical and Historical Materialism applies to the never-ending fashion of bashing Propellerhead or their business choices? It's possible.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

reason2dance

18 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:I'm wondering if Dialectical and Historical Materialism applies to the never-ending fashion of bashing Propellerhead or their business choices? It's possible.
Maybe. Apple for example might move to a new address just to get out of this "infinite loop"  ;)  ...

EnochLight

18 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:I'm wondering if Dialectical and Historical Materialism applies to the never-ending fashion of bashing Propellerhead or their business choices? It's possible.
reason2dance wrote:
Maybe. Apple for example might move to a new address just to get out of this "infinite loop"  ;)  ...
:D

http://youtu.be/0Jv_XR6RMAI
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ostermilk

18 Jan 2015

I think most peoples desire to bash or praise will be dependent on how an issue affects their individual choice.

If one doesn't like one part of a policy they will likely bash it, whereas if the same person does like a particular choice they will be in favour.

The part that I'll never understand is those people that bash something for the sake of it or those that will automatically issue praise for no better reason.  Both types however do exist in seemingly equal proportion.

Strange but true.

I think I'll likely continue to discuss things and be critical when I don't like how something affects me and praise that which I think is cool regardless of whether anyone else thinks that's fashionable or not.

Usually an individuals choices are more complex than a back and forth between opposite poles which tend to become the norm in forum conversations when people are being less than thoughtful about what is actually being said or discussed before they respond.

So all in all I guess I'm agreeing with you......in part. :D

Jamesville

18 Jan 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:
I didn't really see the issues tbh. I think most of the active users who had something valid to input could spot the flamers and trolls a mile off and ignore them. How was it for you?

Orion

18 Jan 2015

davidvilla wrote:"Look up and to meet the musicians of the world where they are."

I don't think I can roll my eyes any harder than i just did.
Yeah, that's some hardcore smelly BS right there. Choosing to not be upfront is one thing - and bad enough - but to then instead talk down to all of us who have supported the company - in this airy fairy meaningless marketing speak - as if we were all easily fooled idiots - is completely pukeworthy.

Hopefully I can keep 7.1 running for a few more years, at least.

Orion

18 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote:I feel like I've been dumped!
Me too! After 13 years of loyal support! WTF

I'm so glad this site and you fellows are here or I'd be crying right now.

Flandersh

18 Jan 2015

It may apply to the point that the ideas of Dialectical and Historical Materialism may be what is driving Propellerhead. The bashing is then both very normal and important, since it ask question about the strategy of an Enlightenment that has never really reached its goal. Questions that ask if the way of progression will always lead to a brighter future or if it may culminate in a disastrous future.

But a software company is not really expected to take responsibilites for such type of questions, as it is more a victim of it. And bashing in any case may even not be the most effective way to resolve the situation neither; inquries and factual work may be more effective.

bangaio

18 Jan 2015

I'm over it and to be honest stopped regularly visiting the PUF a long time ago because of all the moaning and negativity.....wait I am moaning about people moaning!  Looking forward to being a wee bit more active here and making more music with the software I love: Reason!

Iapetus 9

18 Jan 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:
phasys wrote:
Thousands and thousands of howto's, documents, insights, downright technical info, completely destroyed. Sounds like the burning of the library of Alexandria. 

Not to mention that we can't sit happily with Reason 7 forever. They'll never support it for future Windows or Mac OS versions. So you'll be forced to upgrade to that atrocity called Reason 8 anyway. Which I'll never be doing, since those swedish moneygrubbers are never making a penny from me anymore.
I was archiving anything important to me from the start, but you're right, it is sad to see that happen.  Personally, I'll upgrade when I need the tools. Don't need drag n drop for anything. Welcome back Phasys. Cheers!
38L > 51D every time.

SteveDiverse

18 Jan 2015

I'm not really surprised the forum is being shut down, but it does seem like more of a mistake than anything else.

The ratio of informative and useful posts to posts that were mostly complaints and bickering has steadily declined since basically Reason 6.5

A heavier moderating hand, even if a set of forums users, I think would have been a better option than a total shutdown.

That said, i'm guessing that to get the registered product icons into the posts, and restricting posting in some forums to registered users only probably was done by props modifying the bulletin board code - which meant not being able to upgrade the board code, or move to a different product without making the same modifications.

Anyway, it is what it is, and why doesn't really matter at this point.  I'm fine moving on to here.

:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

Iapetus 9

18 Jan 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:
Jamesville wrote: I didn't really see the issues tbh. I think most of the active users who had something valid to input could spot the flamers and trolls a mile off and ignore them. How was it for you?
I lurked more than I was active. It had its moments in the sun which kept me going back. After the reboot, I found that the most informative stuff was buried by dumpster fire threads and jackassery. I may be in the minority, but I won't miss the PUF. I see so many old faces here posting. Reason users will carry on. Cheers!
38L > 51D every time.

MarkTarlton

18 Jan 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:
phasys wrote:

yup! exactly my position as well. I will no longer buy or update anymore propellerheads software. I love Reason 7 and will keep a machine around that will allow me to run it until I can ween myself completely off of all their products. it's an addicition to some degree for me. I visited their site everyday...most of the time I never posted, but I skimmed through every thread and searched for the valuable content which will now be gone forever except for in peoples heads.

EddieG

18 Jan 2015

EddieG wrote:Here's what I got from it:

It is with  blah blah and lots of fluff
that blah blahbiddy blah blah fluff
further more it is with greater fluff and blah,
and in conclusion, blah and fluff

Exile - thats what it is

We did it years ago, and we'll do it again. Do not be afraid

Better, stronger, faster, fatter, balder, older, slower ....(what? )

the Exile Colection has indeed expanded once again to this fine establishment
Thank You
Blah

To quote myself
" the Vines of industry,
the minds of the big machine ...
overgrowing wildly ...
choking the mother tree "

The Exile Collection 2006
http://www.exilecollection.com/
stratcatfl in the house !

motuscott

18 Jan 2015

jfrichards wrote:German philosophy discovered the secret workings of all things in the 1840's, called Dialectical and Historical Materialism. It states that within any given thing, there exist two fundamental components, one being the original old feature, and the other being the emerging new feature. Through the processes going on between these contradictory features, always evolutionary, sometimes revolutionary, a new thing emerges, discarding the old and establishing the new. This law of development applies to all phenomena, from atomic structures, to social formations, to galactic events.

Welcome to the new.
I'm a sucker for a good philosophical argument.
Also, Hitler.
There. I said it.
Je suis Dabbler
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

hydlide

18 Jan 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote: I see so many old faces here posting. Reason users will carry on. Cheers!
i am beginning to see the similarity when old computer systems just die (eg: Commodore, Amiga, MSX and so on). The beauty behind community efforts is that you can "kick" us out... but there is no stopping the heart of the community.

It keeps on beating...

motuscott

18 Jan 2015

OK Then!
I have really cut the prices of these REs I'm unloading.
First on the block, that graphic lighty thing that was free.
What's my first offer HUMMINAHUMMINAHUMMINA...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information