Ernst's Official Announcement regarding the end of PUF

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zeebot

17 Jan 2015

loopback wrote:This blogpost says nothing. Killing the PUF is an understandable yet terrible decision. Let's hope this place doesn't become the same asylum the PUF was since the relaunch.

Cheers
Loop
This forum will have mods and admin so any funny business will be snuffed out pretty quick I hope.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

bruceb

17 Jan 2015

"Reason 8 turned out to be the most successful version of the program that we have ever made"

I would expect to read corporate spin but wouldn't expect the CEO to make untrue statements. It's considered very bad marketing as it bites you in the arse in the end. It isn't very Swedish in my experience either.

That said, it depends on what they mean by "most successful". Most successful at upgrading from pre 7.1 users  - and/or bringing in new users? Good chance on the latter, given the amazing bundle that was offered.

So this statement could just as easily be heavily spun, given that the rest of his statement is just verbiage.

loopback

17 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote: This forum will have mods and admin so any funny business will be snuffed out pretty quick I hope.
I hope so too that's why i registered. And of course because a lot of cool people are around here, people that once made the PUF a great place of knowledge and discussion.

Cheers
Loop

soundcloud.com/minex

Andy Hyde

17 Jan 2015

You know, I actually think this is a great time and opportunity for all of us.  Mainly, to get back to making music and sharing the learning experiences as we go, just like it was when I joined having bought R4.

No need for anger/ bemusement at the Props or Ernst, they provided what we have and use.  Hopefully that will continue.

For the time being I am happy seeing all on here and having the ability to make music (still on 7.1 and that is not an issue either)

Andy

Namahs Amrak

17 Jan 2015

All the marketing baloney from Propellerheads is wearing a bit thin. They seem to spend a lot of time carefully constructing communications that say a whole lot of nothing. The Line6 statements were of the same hand-jive style, and the BS surrounding the pre-release of 8 was little more than a time waster.

Anyway, within 48 hours, this forum has taken off like a bushfire. No great loss for the future, although the reference material will be a loss. How many GB do you think the entire forum would be, perhaps someone might save the whole thing offline?
My Words are my ART

jfrichards

17 Jan 2015

Now this is ironic.  I wrote this letter to the Props in March, 2011 (didn't get a reply of course).  I found it going through my PMs on the PUF to salvage important contacts and information.

Hi Leo, Ernst, Marcus, Pelle, Fred, James, et al.,

I didn't know how to contact your senior management, so I'll send this here.

I have used Reason since 1.0 and loved every step of the way. Now that you have Record, it is like you have entered a new stage in your evolution. I would like to see your software and company grow even more. It occurs to me that you have grown past the self-effacing image of a bunch of genius nerds that love electronic music. I am not opposed to self-effacement (the act of making oneself, one's actions, etc., inconspicuous, esp because of humility or timidity) in the music industry. It is an industry that sorely lacks humility and I have always appreciated your humility and hard work. BUT... Your stuff is much cooler than many of your competitors these days, and I feel that you are poised on the edge of a set of breakthroughs, along with the whole independent music field (both musically and technically). Along those lines of thinking, I have a few rough suggestions that are far from worked out, but are made to help you think through your next 5 years of growing:

1. Change the company name to Propeller. A propeller has great imagery and meaning, and is a natural evolution of the Propellerhead concept.

2. Combine your three main products (Reason, Record, Recycle) into one, named Compozer, with the three blades of your propeller being Compose, Record, and Perform. Release Compozer 1.0 as an upgrade for all three. Continue the older separate products, but focus on the integrated system.

3. Remake the company image as less nerdy and more cool. Honestly, you deserve it. You can keep all the nerdy, humble features of your staff and public relations, but ADD to this with something that will appeal to the millions of musicians who feel that independent music is sophisticated and powerful and sexy and cool. I'm not advocating that you turn into the arrogant corporate villains that populate the music world.

These are merely friendly ideas that you can use as you wish. I wish you all the success in the world. And I love you just the way you are.

Thanks,

John Richards
San Francisco

Namahs Amrak

17 Jan 2015

jfrichards wrote:I'm not advocating that you turn into the arrogant corporate villains that populate the music world.
It seems they didn't listen.

My Words are my ART

MichalskiMusic

17 Jan 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Meeting musicians by closing a well running forum? Bullshit!
All I will say is your idea of a well-running forum and mine are miles apart.
Michalski Music Productions
MMP on Soundcloud

Ocean of Waves

17 Jan 2015

PUF was becoming a disgrace, we all know why. So it's closure isn't coming as a surprise to me.

Somebody said they found it odd they close it within a small timeframe, I don't. If you dare to head over there you'll see it became even worse, now without any moderation at all. What would've happened if they've kept it open for another month or so in that state? The sooner the better, although I'm glad people are trying to salvage the best threads.

phasys

17 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/crew ... of-an-era/

Not sure if this explains anything for me... :frown:

D.
Reason 8 the most succesful version. I don't believe a word of it.

zeebot

17 Jan 2015

I remember when it was released the claim was Reason 8 was the fastest selling version, that seems to have morphed into 'most successful' now. Yet more hyperbole.
In speed of intial sales it may be the 'most successful' in that respect but its almost insulting to insinuate that R8 beat all other upgrades in volume.
It was plain to see on the PUF and other sites that R8 was roundly dismissed.
I am simply going off propellerheads, shame as I still absolutely love the products but being treated like a moron is leaving a sour taste in my mouth :frown:
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

polardozer

17 Jan 2015

I think that reason 8 is not the best selling version, but the Reason Essentials 8 is the only one I have... But, NMW, They have closed the forum, which i had just joined=P

Ocean of Waves

17 Jan 2015

Until we see some sales figures we can't say these claims are true or false. You know, the group complaining about R8 did it with such determination it sure looks like everybody hated it. The ones who liked it didn't. There's also a very BIG group of users not using the forum, you know?

I love the upgrade btw.

phasys

17 Jan 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Until we see some sales figures we can't say these claims are true or false. You know, the group complaining about R8 did it with such determination it sure looks like everybody hated it. The ones who liked it didn't. There's also a very BIG group of users not using the forum, you know?

I love the upgrade btw.
You know, you know? You know you know you know?

Theo.M

17 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/crew ... of-an-era/

Not sure if this explains anything for me... :frown:

D.
phasys wrote:
Reason 8 the most succesful version. I don't believe a word of it.
I dont' have any evidence of course but I feel the same and there's some formulated truth stretching going on here

Arsenic

17 Jan 2015

Regarding Ernst's comment about Reason 8 being the most successful version.....

I  wondered if this is why they decided to change the version number for Essentials. It went from Version 2 to Version 8

Figures and claims could be based on the combined sale of all variants of "8"  whereas they may well have been divided between Reason Essentials and Reason due to the differing version numbers.

Of course, I'm just speculating based on no evidence whatsoever and an inability to string two coherent thoughts together

Jensen

17 Jan 2015

I was a bit sad to see the forum go and being not impressed by Reason 8 I thought that this is not my product anymore. Especially since I feel that Propellerheads have started talking down on us from some high and lofty throne.

Being on R7 is fine, although I would have loved some true workflow improvements and features. I'm over it now though and I hope that it is true that Reason 8 sold as well as they claim. Because then there's possibly hope that a future upgrade will happen and some of the flaws in R8 will be addressed. If R8 did not sell well, this may have been the final version and I don't think anyone would be served with that. So, think positive about it :)

Btw. I like the layout of this forum much better and the PUF one, thanks for making it happen!

Theo.M

17 Jan 2015

Arsenic wrote:Regarding Ernst's comment about Reason 8 being the most successful version.....

I  wondered if this is why they decided to change the version number for Essentials. It went from Version 2 to Version 8

Figures and claims could be based on the combined sale of all variants of "8"  whereas they may well have been divided between Reason Essentials and Reason due to the differing version numbers.

Of course, I'm just speculating based on no evidence whatsoever and an inability to string two coherent thoughts together
I remember them first saying that the upgrade had been the most successful so far, now the latest statement is more of a "Reason 8 sales in general" comment. So I reckon it was the big recent sale and perhaps with upgrades and new comers, the sales are indeed the highest, volume wise, of R8 and how many people are using it, but it doesn't really take into account the less profit they made by throwing in all those freebies.

Namahs Amrak

17 Jan 2015

wikholm wrote:
Perhaps it's a bit of an age thing. Slightly older people seems to think mainstream social media is still cool, while the younger seems to think it's old, and will move the actual conversation elsewhere as soon as they've found whoever they were looking for.

If trying to sell Reason to the somewhat elderly (such as myself) then it might help to get people actually talking about it in social media, but those in my age bracket have likely already got what they're going to use, while the prospective new, younger, users won't be looking for options in major social media anyway.
Not quite sure where these perceptions on Facebook users are coming from but I have read it three times in the past 24 hours that 'younger people aren't using Facebook'. This simply isn't true. The demographic studies show that Facebook remains the most popular social networking site amongst teens. Further studies have indicated that almost half of the teen demographic are using Facebook more than they were the same time a year prior. While the demographic may be changing to include more older people, this is not particularly at the expense of less younger users. According to a recent BUsiness Insider article, 'Facebook has more daily teen users than any other social network'.

My Words are my ART

eusti

17 Jan 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Until we see some sales figures we can't say these claims are true or false. You know, the group complaining about R8 did it with such determination it sure looks like everybody hated it. The ones who liked it didn't. There's also a very BIG group of users not using the forum, you know?

I love the upgrade btw.
Glad you are happy with the upgrade!

I saw a lot of people on a German forum complain about the update as well as on Props Facebook page... But you are correct: we don't have any numbers, so they might be indeed correct...

D.

Wook

17 Jan 2015

I tried to search for 2014. financial report but haven't found anything. Really interested to see. Haha, i have no life. 

eusti

17 Jan 2015

Wook wrote:I tried to search for 2014. financial report but haven't found anything. Really interested to see. Haha, i have no life. 
Might be too early for that yet... Not sure how the financial years are structured in Sweden...

D.

Wook

17 Jan 2015

Wook wrote:I tried to search for 2014. financial report but haven't found anything. Really interested to see. Haha, i have no life. 
eusti wrote:
Might be too early for that yet... Not sure how the financial years are structured in Sweden...

D.
Mhm. I doubt they have reported it yet. 

Smedberg

17 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:

D.
Wook wrote: Mhm. I doubt they have reported it yet. 
If company have calender year it is 1st of July...

stratatonic

17 Jan 2015

"Successful" money wise?...

Maybe Ernst may have meant:

*Reason 8 turned out to be the most successful (drag n drop) version of the program that we have ever made.

or

*Reason 8 turned out to be the most successful (polarizing of our official Propellerhead forum members) version of the program that we have ever made

• Information