Ernst's Official Announcement regarding the end of PUF

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

16 Jan 2015

Really nice to see a bunch of familiar names and avatars.

I hope the owner of this forum does not one day decide to close it down so he can "talk to people in the street" instead.

BarbaraC

16 Jan 2015

I'm in agreement with everyone so far. Social media mostly just sucks, and so does the closing of PUF. But there's another point of view that might help once we all stop being so pissed off...

I belong to another huge forum focused on the Photodex corporation, which owns the video slide show software I use (and with which I've made a penny or two). The forum is not in any way affiliated with the company, which has no user forum. The forum words well because nobody from the company is looking over anyone's shoulder. We can say whatever we please within the rules of the forum. The only time anyone got banned was because they were deliberately cruel to others.

I also belong to the Zazzle forum because I "own" several stores there. It's the worst forum I've ever belonged to, and the reason it's awful is because the company is always there in the background. Get really angry with them for something, and you're kicked off the forum.

Reason Chat (thank you, Brent!) will slowly build into something we could easily end up preferring to PUF.

For the time being, though, I'm still pissed off. :x

Exowildebeest

16 Jan 2015

The only viable theory I have is that they're intentionally seeding out the community to the wider interwebz, making the RE format and their other products seem more 'independent', like other formats. More neutral. More widely accepted and talked about. More mature.

Instead of killing "free speech", as some have suggested, it might be the complete opposite of that. For commercial reasons though, of course :)

Exowildebeest

16 Jan 2015

The more I think of it, I totally should have been hired to write Ernst's blog post, I could have spinned this whole thing like a pro :D

craven

16 Jan 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:The more I think of it, I totally should have been hired to write Ernst's blog post, I could have spinned this whole thing like a pro :D
it would have been much better than his nonsense. Oh man, I love Reason and I liked the Props a lot. I really hope that this is just a bad phase, I'm afraid it could be a transition into something I don't like. 
:ugeek:

Yorick

16 Jan 2015

davidvilla wrote:"Look up and to meet the musicians of the world where they are."

I don't think I can roll my eyes any harder than i just did.

I've always thought Ernst was full of sh*t.

Ernst - you are full of sh*t.
One word:

Snapchat

Carnstein

16 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:we been beta testing all along (even the none beta testers) to get throwed out like dirty towels ,

I am not fallowing the new direction here and I will not suggest more to Propellerhead , they breaked the only thing I had in them (FAITH) !

If I was not a reason 7.1 addict I would say they lost me but I am not sad I just need to buy a lot of Corn .
Speaking of beta tests do you think there will be a beta-testing forum next time they need testers? If so I think I'll be pretty pissed haha.
Hello!

wikholm

16 Jan 2015

I think they think they will get more attention if more of their users will discuss their products on big social media platforms, but I think it'll just drown in the noise and turmoil of such places.

Perhaps it's a bit of an age thing. Slightly older people seems to think mainstream social media is still cool, while the younger seems to think it's old, and will move the actual conversation elsewhere as soon as they've found whoever they were looking for.

If trying to sell Reason to the somewhat elderly (such as myself) then it might help to get people actually talking about it in social media, but those in my age bracket have likely already got what they're going to use, while the prospective new, younger, users won't be looking for options in major social media anyway.

Emian

16 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote:I'm also still not convinced that " Reason 8 turned out to be the most successful version of the program that we have ever made"
Really? I dont know the figures but judging by the public reaction it was a dud, but what do I know? I'm not hip enough I guess.

just my tought too.

And if the PUF shutdown is their reaction to our oppinions about R8, than it really is an act against "freedom of speech" (wich happens all to much lately :frown: )

Anyway, i'm hopefull about this new forum, not about Reasons future tough....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

DLDTech

16 Jan 2015

emotica wrote:May I ask the RE developers in here -  Wasn't the developer forum the best way to connect to other developers and PH themselves?
The developer forums are (thankfully) staying as is - all us devs are really nice people* so you don't get all the **** that goes on in the main forums.

(*except when we all batch about Reason 8...)
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

jfrichards

16 Jan 2015

I am starting to see something extremely positive in the PUF forum liquidation decision, not that it was intentional by the Props.  I made the following responses to Jason, Last Alternative, (who demanded a refund for all his Reason investments), to try to get at the serious positive evolution going on (in bold).

Jason, take a step back for a minute to look at the overall picture. Reason has not gone anywhere. It's sitting right in front of you. For those who have mastered or at least are competent with Reason 7, the only possibly negative change in Reason 8 is in patch searching, going from list-surfing to drag-and-drop, and even that is solely around getting back to the first patch since you can still list surf. They've already told you that the only big change coming up is that Line6 amps will not be inside Reason 9 in Oct 2016, and that the Softube amps are there for a replacement. And that you can still run R8 at the same time if you need to. Does that sound like they are going away? Obviously, the big shift in focus is towards the millions of musicians who have iPhones and iPads, and yes we paid for that ongoing work with the upgrade price. But even this is intimately tied to promoting Reason to millions, not to hide it away and replace it with mobile apps. Future-proofing Reason is essential, and it will most likely not happen by exclusively competing with the other desktop DAWs. For example, the value of Logic 10 for $200 is astounding. And all the others have stepped up their game with synths, effects, and ease of use. Reason will have to go way wider to survive.

From your point of view, I'm surprised that you seem to have forgotten your rapid advance with Reason, to the point where many of us look to you as a leader in guitar tones and rock mixing. And in fact, a new forum has emerged with much better administrators than Props could ever provide. Brent, Giles, Ed, and Noel are all heavyweights and have brought an army of resources with them. And the expectation will never be for Props to come in and answer your questions, which is a great advance forum-wise. It's like the little nestlings have been forced out of the nest and are actually flying on their own. And you are one of those experts still available for any new people who want to compose powerful rock music in Reason. Just like the expert engineers are all still there, eager to take your most difficult technical and artistic questions. I get that you're feeling like that little bird looking down at the 50 foot drop to the ground. I don't know if the Props are aware of this historic change or they're just callous, or they just want everyone to sign up with paid tutorial services. Whichever is true, the new forum is proof that serious Reason users have evolved, at least growing into self-aware teenagers. Remember Alexander took over all the kingdoms from Greece to India from age 20 to 30.

Even if you don't spend a penny more on Reason, you have the talent, tools and support right now to make a stunning album.

Originally Posted by LastAlternative 
... nothing can truly replace a one stop shop like this...

Wrong, a forum administered by Brent, Giles, Ed and Noel will be a step or two above this company forum. They and the army of experts that have joined them can answer questions right away without waiting for the gods of Sweden to respond. And one of the obvious first steps will be to make sure all the official Prop sites have constant references to the new forum so new people will see it as a great resource. New site competitions can be announced everywhere. New music can be sent from the new site to the Props sites. New site representatives can do all kinds of things on the official Props sites. You don't think new people would be excited to see links to a forum filled with experts answering questions immediately? It may be saving Props from their own weird decisions, but is that so bad?

MarkTarlton

16 Jan 2015

I lost all respect for Ernst a while ago...he is a dictator with no concern for his loyal followers. A real big F*ck you to us in my opinion!!

Theo.M

16 Jan 2015

MarkTarlton wrote:I lost all respect for Ernst a while ago...he is a dictator with no concern for his loyal followers. A real big F*ck you to us in my opinion!!
Is it all up to him though?

it's tough for me to hate Ernst, as he personally has been amazing to me on multiple occasions. I really don't agree with alot of the props overall decisions as obviously quite a few of us don't, but how much of it behind the scenes, is actually him and only him making the final decision?

I dunno.. he's always been a nice guy in skype n stuff..  

I do think perhaps the PUF was at the point of being too late to save, BUT, it could have been resurrected as a brand new forum when the new site comes online, with every single previous post read only, and an all new moderation team of well know and trusted users. 

In it's *current* state, they made the right decision, really. And i guess it just wasn't important enough to them to dedicate moderating staff from their offices, but the valid idea of volunteer user mods just slipped their mind. It's possible.

And how could it beat the clean slate format anyway, really?

selig
RE Developer

16 Jan 2015

MarkTarlton wrote:I lost all respect for Ernst a while ago...he is a dictator with no concern for his loyal followers. A real big F*ck you to us in my opinion!!
Be that as it may, I'm fairly confident that's not what it was intended to say. Companies and their leaders make mistakes all the time. I don't take things like this so personally. I can still be annoyed, as I was about this 'change'. At least I was annoyed at first, then I got motivated and noticed others were doing the same. Followed Brent over here and am for the FIRST time in my life actually excited about the prospects of an online community. 

So because I feel it wasn't intended as an FU, and because it REALLY should be a TU (thank you) because none of this would have ever happened otherwise, I'm totally at peace with Ernst and the Props. Ohmmmm…   :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Julibee

16 Jan 2015

I keep mulling this over in my mind, and what strikes me is that we have an incredible opportunity, just as Giles points out above.

We aren't here just as part of a corporate ball of wax (nice though it was), we are here because we WANT to be here... We genuinely desire the community and recognize the value in it. Even if we stay as this smaller subset of what we once were, we're still better and stronger FOR it. Because those who came along with us are truly, truly an impressive set of individuals.

I'm just very happy with the the amazing group that have joined us. Each and every one of you. If we can sustain the camaraderie, and bring with us the best of what we were, this will be the best damn spot on the Internet. Keep going.

I almost feel like we've started a new little country.

Huzzah.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

GregHPSon

16 Jan 2015

I'm glad to see this Forum started up & also glad to see so many familiar faces here as well.
Follow me on Instagram/Facebook: Vic20

Faastwalker

16 Jan 2015

In contrary to a lot of what people have suggested I think Ernst's post explains a lot - They feel that things have moved on somewhat from what the forums offer & there's a lot more potential in alternatives & new ways of communicating. Fair enough I think. I know a lot of us don't buy that or agree with it. In truth they probably think the forums have become a viper pit of utter bullshit, which they mostly have.

In Ernst's post I was actually more interested in what he had to say about 2014 being the best year yet for Propellerhead & that Reason 8 was the most successful version of the program to date. What do people make of that? I'm more than a little surprised seeing how it went down as well as a fart in an elevator on the forums. Yes, those same forums which I believe to be mostly a waste of Internet space these days!!

eusti

17 Jan 2015

Faastwalker wrote: In Ernst's post I was actually more interested in what he had to say about 2014 being the best year yet for Propellerhead & that Reason 8 was the most successful version of the program to date. What do people make of that? I'm more than a little surprised seeing how it went down as well as a fart in an elevator on the forums. Yes, those same forums which I believe to be mostly a waste of Internet space these days!!
Well, I saw a lot of complaints about the update on Facebook as well... So, not sure if the claim of being the most successful update is actually true... That instills some doubt about the rest as well for me... :/

D.

littlejam

17 Jan 2015

hello,

i think that this new ReasonTalk and the old PUF should 'live and let die'

we have our new home

all of us here are refreshed and happy and excited and jubilant and grateful

we have a new home, a new country, a new way of life to express ourselves (easier)

and we will still use Reason because it is the bestbest

'if it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger'

cheers to all, j

littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Heater

17 Jan 2015

I'm pretty disgusted with the props right now.
It was a shitty thing to do to throw away a 18 year old community because it didn't fit with their vision. Think about that for a minute. They through us away because they simply couldn't be arsed with us.

They couldn't even be bothered to consult with us on the best way forward.
A simple post asking us about the best way forward was too much for them.

What a shitty company and I agree that Ernst is a dictator and doesn't give a fuck about us.
Anyone who thinks different is deluding themselves.

raymondh

17 Jan 2015

If Props eventually fix the semi functional browser in Reason 8, then all will be forgiven :)

I am really liking this new forum already. It looks and feels fresh and its great to see everyone here!

loopback

17 Jan 2015

This blogpost says nothing. Killing the PUF is an understandable yet terrible decision. Let's hope this place doesn't become the same asylum the PUF was since the relaunch.

Cheers
Loop

soundcloud.com/minex

Arsenic

17 Jan 2015

raymondh wrote: I am really liking this new forum already. It looks and feels fresh
...and is that a hint of Pine that I detect :)

MassiveSoundStudios

17 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:...We aren't here just as part of a corporate ball of wax (nice though it was), we are here because we WANT to be here... We genuinely desire the community and recognize the value in it. Even if we stay as this smaller subset of what we once were, we're still better and stronger FOR it. Because those who came along with us are truly, truly an impressive set of individuals.

I'm just very happy with the the amazing group that have joined us. Each and every one of you...

I almost feel like we've started a new little country.

Huzzah.
This is a great post and a great attitude!

It is quite amazing and impressive how many Reason users moved over here so quickly.

It's also quite refreshing to see how many of you are opposed to a social media.

Jan 2004

• Information