Ernst's Official Announcement regarding the end of PUF

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ostermilk

18 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Don't forget guys, that not only PH forums will be closed soon, but also all the accounts will be deleted, licences of all products will be nullified & you would need to buy them all over again - official statement! :D
I'm sure some would feel honoured to be able to buy them all over again... :thumbup:

ksailer

18 Jan 2015

Aha, for the street price, all you have to do is to find Ernst on the streets of Stockholm! :D
He should be there on the streets, together with the world's music community - as per his statements.
:reason: :record: :ignition: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :refillpacker:

Raveshaper

18 Jan 2015

I was displeased at the decision of PUF closure, but this is a far better venue. You can just feel it. We can do it for us, by us, and do it better than the PUF. I'm glad it happened, regardless of what Ernst's reasoning might have been.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Yorick

20 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/crew ... of-an-era/

Not sure if this explains anything for me... :frown:

D.

So I take it this: "It’s time to take the discussion out of the kitchen and into the streets. Look up and meet the musicians of the world where they are" means that Ernst is coming to my church? Going to grab a coffee with me in my home studio? Coming to my pub gig on sunday night?
Is that what it means? What the heck does it mean??

Gaja

20 Jan 2015

D.
Yorick wrote:

So I take it this: "It’s time to take the discussion out of the kitchen and into the streets.
Yorick wrote:Look up and meet the musicians of the world where they are
Yorick wrote:" means that Ernst is coming to my church? Going to grab a coffee with me in my home studio? Coming to my pub gig on sunday night?
maybe he's trying to say that instead of lurking in the forum all day we should collaborate in music making and meet people ( in real life) and improve on our music making skills instead...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Yorick

20 Jan 2015

D.
Yorick wrote:

So I take it this: "It’s time to take the discussion out of the kitchen and into the streets.
Yorick wrote:Look up and meet the musicians of the world where they are
Yorick wrote:" means that Ernst is coming to my church? Going to grab a coffee with me in my home studio? Coming to my pub gig on sunday night?
Gaja wrote:maybe he's trying to say that instead of lurking in the forum all day we should collaborate in music making and meet people ( in real life) and improve on our music making skills instead...
If he came out to meet me where I'm making my music, he'd see that a forum is an important community lifeline for freelancers who make music all day from home.... :frown:

jfrichards

20 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:... maybe he's trying to say that instead of lurking in the forum all day we should collaborate in music making and meet people ( in real life) and improve on our music making skills instead...
In context, he's saying there are a few hundred musicians in the forum, and millions on Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.  While he is rightfully drooling at the potential customer base, it is simultaneously a good fact to keep in mind for independent electronic music in general.  I think ReasonTalk should promote itself as the fabulous resource it is on all these social media outlets, both in the Props pages and everywhere.  People getting into iThor, Figure, and Take could all benefit from joining ReasonTalk.  And we will all benefit if iThor, Figure, Take, and Reason become more popular.

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

I was just wildly speculating of course. So Yorick you're actually working alone all the time? Interesting. When I try and make music alone, I'll dabble along for a while and then lose focus and direction, which is why I always collaborate.
@jfrichards I agree that this forum is a valuable resource for all Reason users, and should be promoted accordingly.
My original background thought for that post was the take promo video with the two guys and the container thing, and also the Master Class video with the cateracts, where the message of collaboration is clearly advertised.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Yorick

21 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:I was just wildly speculating of course. So Yorick you're actually working alone all the time? Interesting. When I try and make music alone, I'll dabble along for a while and then lose focus and direction, which is why I always collaborate. @jfrichards I agree that this forum is a valuable resource for all Reason users, and should be promoted accordingly. My original background thought for that post was the take promo video with the two guys and the container thing, and also the Master Class video with the cateracts, where the message of collaboration is clearly advertised.
Yes, every day.

I do collaborate when I can, and my musician-wife often chimes in with opinions, but there's usually no budget for others. My kids are around too, so "alone" isn't entirely accurate, but it's not the same camaraderie as working in a studio with other composers.
But rock and roll, when I was in a studio, I was never home, so I've prioritized being a father.

Jagwah

21 Jan 2015

Hang on, by talking on this forum doesn't that mean that we are back in the kitchen instead of out in the street? D:

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

Jagwah wrote:Hang on, by talking on this forum doesn't that mean that we are back in the kitchen instead of out in the street? D:
Obviously not! The kitchen is where Pheads cook up their potions of public pretentiousness, and their antidotes against agressive antagonism. Everything else is in the streets. Like this place.. It's more like a night pharmacy. a take out place.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:
Gaja wrote:I was just wildly speculating of course. So Yorick you're actually working alone all the time? Interesting. When I try and make music alone, I'll dabble along for a while and then lose focus and direction, which is why I always collaborate. @jfrichards I agree that this forum is a valuable resource for all Reason users, and should be promoted accordingly. My original background thought for that post was the take promo video with the two guys and the container thing, and also the Master Class video with the cateracts, where the message of collaboration is clearly advertised.
Yorick wrote:
Yes, every day.

I do collaborate when I can, and my musician-wife often chimes in with opinions, but there's usually no budget for others. My kids are around too, so "alone" isn't entirely accurate, but it's not the same camaraderie as working in a studio with other composers.
But rock and roll, when I was in a studio, I was never home, so I've prioritized being a father.
Ah yes I understand that decision.
Luckily my studio is not far away from home, so I can come back every day. Would it be different, I'm sure I'd decide in favor of my family anytime.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

kloeckno

21 Jan 2015

It seemed like there were maybe 50 regulars on the forums in the last year or two. The people who went there constantly (and I was one of them until recently) probably thought they were the majority. But I bet compared to the actual userbase, they make up a very small percentage. So as a business, it may seem like dead weight to keep the forum going when the rest of the world is using newer forms of communication.

And this site is great, so there's not really much of a loss. If they just archived the old forum I could care less, but I still have the knowledge I've gained from it. You have to remove some of the old stuff to make way for progress...

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

kloeckno wrote:It seemed like there were maybe 50 regulars on the forums in the last year or two. The people who went there constantly (and I was one of them until recently) probably thought they were the majority. But I bet compared to the actual userbase, they make up a very small percentage. So as a business, it may seem like dead weight to keep the forum going when the rest of the world is using newer forms of communication.

And this site is great, so there's not really much of a loss. If they just archived the old forum I could care less, but I still have the knowledge I've gained from it. You have to remove some of the old stuff to make way for progress...
Yes I agree.
Also as Mattias has stated, if they would use a forum as main method of interaction, they wouldn't have time to develop software. Read every post, every rant, every scrap bit of batch does not seem overly productive to me. Especially, when you consider it represented only a small fraction of the userbase.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Exowildebeest

21 Jan 2015

I think not having an official forum doesn't do justice to the depth Reason provides - a property they should be proud of and exploit, imo.

Jagwah

21 Jan 2015

Jagwah wrote:Hang on, by talking on this forum doesn't that mean that we are back in the kitchen instead of out in the street? D:
Gaja wrote: Obviously not! The kitchen is where Pheads cook up their potions of public pretentiousness, and their antidotes against agressive antagonism. Everything else is in the streets. Like this place.. It's more like a night pharmacy. a take out place.
*-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0238: *-___________-* :t2018: *-___________-* :s0225:

FrankJaeger

21 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:Not sure if this explains anything for me... :frown:
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: It explains... nothing.
Ernst: It’s time to take the discussion out of the kitchen and into the streets. Look up and to meet the musicians of the world where they are.
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Meeting musicians by closing a well running forum? Bullshit!
This.

I suspect the complaints about the lackluster Reason 8 release was too much for the props to bear. Notice how they kept saying how it was the fastest selling and that it did the best of all other updates, but never mentioned what people who actually bought/upgraded thought about it. From what I saw on the PUF, the majority of people weren't happy. Some even asked how to re-install 7.1.1 in place of 8.

That kind of response on their own official webpage (that even people without any registered software can see) could spell TROUBLE when they roll out the next product. If that outcry is on some "random" forum that's not really known to the public then it's a lot easier to dissociate yourself and your product from the negative feedback of users. This is just my opinion of the situation, not a  :s0403: .
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

phasys

21 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Yes I agree. Also as Mattias has stated, if they would use a forum as main method of interaction, they wouldn't have time to develop software. Read every post, every rant, every scrap bit of batch does not seem overly productive to me. Especially, when you consider it represented only a small fraction of the userbase.
Forums are for customer helping customer. Which is what largely took place, on the Propellerhead forum. The whole takedown is only because of negative publicity about their flagship product. They can't remove the individual posts because they'll get accused of censorship, so they take down the whole forum with some bullshit excuse instead. The most prepostorous thing was that Mattias actually said that sometimes "the forum members even worsened issues from users by giving wrong advice". I mean, the freaking nerve.

Namahs Amrak

21 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote: So I take it this: "It’s time to take the discussion out of the kitchen and into the streets. Look up and meet the musicians of the world where they are" means that Ernst is coming to my church? Going to grab a coffee with me in my home studio? Coming to my pub gig on sunday night?
Ernst thinks every band is still playing on the roof of buildings, a'la the Beatles.

Dear Ernst, got off the roof and into the bedrooms of teenage boys, that is where the magic is happening.

My Words are my ART

MirrorEyEs

21 Jan 2015

Ernst eh does he have a white cat? I like to think the R8 sales evaluation meeting went down like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XIwUxmtX5U

Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

Ostermilk

21 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:... maybe he's trying to say that instead of lurking in the forum all day we should collaborate in music making and meet people ( in real life) and improve on our music making skills instead...
jfrichards wrote:
In context, he's saying there are a few hundred musicians in the forum, and millions on Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.  While he is rightfully drooling at the potential customer base, it is simultaneously a good fact to keep in mind for independent electronic music in general.  I think ReasonTalk should promote itself as the fabulous resource it is on all these social media outlets, both in the Props pages and everywhere.  People getting into iThor, Figure, and Take could all benefit from joining ReasonTalk.  And we will all benefit if iThor, Figure, Take, and Reason become more popular.
Good post.

My theory about one of the reasons for the closure of the forum has to do with the user base being tied to the place where they want to attract developers to.

There's no other platform where the third party plug-in developers are so tightly tied together.  So say somebody develops a crap VST plugin nobody is going to write that develper off en-masse on the Cubase or Sonar forum customers will tend take their complaints to the plug-in developer themselves.

Another issue when you are bring a 3rd tier between the DAW vendor and the customer base is that beast called entitlement again for example where users will bleat on about what they've spent on RE's without taking responsibility for their own purchases they just start laying into the devs and the evils of the Prop Shop as being the cause.

Basically when REs were introduced it created a conflict of interests between giving developers a healthy environment where they can create tools and where the customers could discuss those tools and as we saw some of those discussions got ugly and unbalanced.

So it was certainly easier to cut the part of the user base off from the home base and hope they'd relocate somewhere else than run the risk of nobody wanting to develop for a platform that was a PR nightmare for the dev.

Like I say it's only a theory of mine but I could see that a third tier appeared when third party developers came sandwiched between the Props and their customers.

It does look like it's turned out well because those users that cared about participating on a forum rather than being cast into the mulch of social media turned up here and I'm sure this place in itself being somewhat insulated from the Devs themselves will make for much more comfortable interaction between ourselves as customers, Propellerheads and 3rd Party Developers as well.

Here's hoping anyway.

Exowildebeest

21 Jan 2015

jfrichards wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:
Good post.

My theory about one of the reasons for the closure of the forum has to do with the user base being tied to the place where they want to attract developers to.

There's no other platform where the third party plug-in developers are so tightly tied together.  So say somebody develops a crap VST plugin nobody is going to write that develper off en-masse on the Cubase or Sonar forum customers will tend take their complaints to the plug-in developer themselves.

Another issue when you are bring a 3rd tier between the DAW vendor and the customer base is that beast called entitlement again for example where users will bleat on about what they've spent on RE's without taking responsibility for their own purchases they just start laying into the devs and the evils of the Prop Shop as being the cause.

Basically when REs were introduced it created a conflict of interests between giving developers a healthy environment where they can create tools and where the customers could discuss those tools and as we saw some of those discussions got ugly and unbalanced.

So it was certainly easier to cut the part of the user base off from the home base and hope they'd relocate somewhere else than run the risk of nobody wanting to develop for a platform that was a PR nightmare for the dev.

Like I say it's only a theory of mine but I could see that a third tier appeared when third party developers came sandwiched between the Props and their customers.

It does look like it's turned out well because those users that cared about participating on a forum rather than being cast into the mulch of social media turned up here and I'm sure this place in itself being somewhat insulated from the Devs themselves will make for much more comfortable interaction between ourselves as customers, Propellerheads and 3rd Party Developers as well.

Here's hoping anyway.
That's basically my theory of "letting the format out in the wild because it has matured/needs to mature". Just with more words ;)

Ostermilk

21 Jan 2015

Exowildebeest wrote: That's basically my theory of "letting the format out in the wild because it has matured/needs to mature". Just with more words ;)
Well 'Vebose' is my middle name.

Regards:

Oster Verbose Milk

• Information