Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

04 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Grain stream this Friday same time!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

04 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
04 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
04 Oct 2017

You're not talking out of Uranus, are you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
God damn beat me to it :thumbs_up: :lol: :lol:

@Creativemind its Europa
I was talking about the moon but I was wrong...it's Europa :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

Goodbye

04 Oct 2017

I'm not giving up dsp power for making pretty knobs. I'm here to make music, not to run ultra realistic virtual reality knob twiddling simulations.
This is the big problem lurking behind all the other problems. Yes. Reason used to be rock solid and super performant. That was one of its biggest USPs. But it isn't any more. It made it easier to swallow the outdated graphics performance when we knew we got performance in return, but now we have neither performance nor satisfactory graphics.

Nobody is asking for 'virtual reality knob twiddling simulations', just graphics that don't look like crap on modern screens and perhaps even UI that can do the same things VSTs have been able to do for ages.

Setting this up as an either-or choice is disingenuous. We shouldn't have to make that choice, but this choice is foisted upon us because either the code base is badly in need of updating, they don't have the developers to update it, they don't care, or (hopefully) they are working on a big rewrite which isn't ready for the primetime yet.

Psuper

04 Oct 2017

See that's just it. I use Reason because it's genuinely fun to tinker with: It's enjoyable building sounds and effects. However 95% of my *real* music is piano and voice, something most people never would choose Reason for. I've always liked Reason since it stood out from the pack and brought a conventional hardware experience to software. I've had my fair share of hardware, some I still use (most not), so I'm biased and want to make Reason work for everything I'd need.

Hoewever, UI is #1, and Performance #2. That's what I personally care to see with any new updates. Reason has one of the worst UIs possible for smooth unhindered workflow, always has been their worst aspect in my book, too large before, too small now. I've used a ton of DAWs, and Reason is by far the most fun when just tinkering and messing around with the racks, but the worst when getting serious about making music. We're constantly playing musical chairs with windows and sizing it's just a chore for most resolutions, and is insanely tiny on the 4k road ahead.

I'm to the point I might just head another DAW direction with pure performance and workflow in mind, thinking the Props may never address the elephant in the room for the last 10 years. I haven't begun looking around, but I may after I see this update roll out and I know what we're getting or not.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
04 Oct 2017
I'm not giving up dsp power for making pretty knobs. I'm here to make music, not to run ultra realistic virtual reality knob twiddling simulations.
This is the big problem lurking behind all the other problems. Yes. Reason used to be rock solid and super performant. That was one of its biggest USPs. But it isn't any more. It made it easier to swallow the outdated graphics performance when we knew we got performance in return, but now we have neither performance nor satisfactory graphics.

Nobody is asking for 'virtual reality knob twiddling simulations', just graphics that don't look like crap on modern screens and perhaps even UI that can do the same things VSTs have been able to do for ages.

Setting this up as an either-or choice is disingenuous. We shouldn't have to make that choice, but this choice is foisted upon us because either the code base is badly in need of updating, they don't have the developers to update it, they don't care, or (hopefully) they are working on a big rewrite which isn't ready for the primetime yet.
Holy Smokes Dude - Just give it a rest already - Please!!! The anticipation is killing me as well, but let's just chill for a moment - I understand your concerns, but this is giving me a headache

EdGrip

04 Oct 2017

I dunno about anyone else, but I only ever have the mixer on its own, OR the rack on its own, OR the sequencer on its own on the screen at any time. Each has its own mouse button.

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:
04 Oct 2017
I dunno about anyone else, but I only ever have the mixer on its own, OR the rack on its own, OR the sequencer on its own on the screen at any time. Each has its own mouse button.
I personally only use the tab button myself

EdGrip

04 Oct 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Oct 2017
EdGrip wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Tab is on the middle mouse button/scroll wheel button. For easy rack scrollin' & flippin'.

aeox
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:
04 Oct 2017
I've got the rack on my left monitor and sequencer on the right monitor. The mixer only gets pulled up when I need to automate the EQ or width.

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Oct 2017

EdGrip wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Oct 2017

Tab is on the middle mouse button/scroll wheel button. For easy rack scrollin' & flippin'.
Depends on your Keyboard Girlfriend

EdGrip

04 Oct 2017

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
04 Oct 2017
EdGrip wrote:
04 Oct 2017

Depends on your Keyboard Girlfriend
Nah, like this:

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Oct 2017

Now that is Something - Hopefully it doesn't vibrate and replace me as a man lol - I hope that was in line with Terms of Service

FYI - I'm having a few tonight

lakinlakin

05 Oct 2017

Psuper wrote:
04 Oct 2017
See that's just it. I use Reason because it's genuinely fun to tinker with: It's enjoyable building sounds and effects. However 95% of my *real* music is piano and voice, something most people never would choose Reason for. I've always liked Reason since it stood out from the pack and brought a conventional hardware experience to software. I've had my fair share of hardware, some I still use (most not), so I'm biased and want to make Reason work for everything I'd need.

Hoewever, UI is #1, and Performance #2. That's what I personally care to see with any new updates. Reason has one of the worst UIs possible for smooth unhindered workflow, always has been their worst aspect in my book, too large before, too small now. I've used a ton of DAWs, and Reason is by far the most fun when just tinkering and messing around with the racks, but the worst when getting serious about making music. We're constantly playing musical chairs with windows and sizing it's just a chore for most resolutions, and is insanely tiny on the 4k road ahead.

I'm to the point I might just head another DAW direction with pure performance and workflow in mind, thinking the Props may never address the elephant in the room for the last 10 years. I haven't begun looking around, but I may after I see this update roll out and I know what we're getting or not.
I agree.

Krell

05 Oct 2017

Psuper wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Reason has one of the worst UIs possible for smooth unhindered workflow, always has been their worst aspect in my book, too large before, too small now. I've used a ton of DAWs, and Reason is by far the most fun when just tinkering and messing around with the racks, but the worst when getting serious about making music. We're constantly playing musical chairs with windows and sizing it's just a chore for most resolutions, and is insanely tiny on the 4k road ahead.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

Pralijah

05 Oct 2017

I would not mind if Reason changed the whole interface and look of the software, making it more modern looking, easier to scale etc. It must be adjustable for both iPad, laptop, and bigger screens. But they might wait until getting it ready for touch screens etc. Would be surprised if they dont have any bigger changes in the plans for UI. Would be heaven if one could customize and have certain options depending on how much graphic power one has on the computer. If using a laptop, one could save some power by showing less colours etc. And for those on really big systems, they could have the highest possible resolution and graphics. But I guess making this takes a lot of work, so am not surprised that it dont happen in the first R10 introduction. But some changes have to happen in this section of the DAW. Ableton is very simple on the layout, but too boring in my opinion (guess one may get used to it). Reason has had advantage of a more pleasant look for the eye, but at the other hand has came to get a bit too stuck in the 90´s and earlier decade of 2000.
For some nostalgics users, there would surely be a resistence if PH changed the look of the older style into something more useful and updated. But I think that sometime there has to be a remake. The update deal of €129 is so good as I think it would be ok to take a step into the new era. Things looking too tiny. But offcourse keeping the backars compatibility is crucial. But a new easier look which increases the workflow of the UI would be a great thing. I dont mind that. But there has to be some balance to it. But there are some Remote apps that is easier on the eye than the look in Reason on a computer. But I know too little of this area so might be getting it wrong. But I want a more streamlined look. Changing the SSL mixer I think is priority nr 1, as well as some older devices. In the Rack, some form of function to get the RE:s in a popup bigger screen would be helpful, especially of the bigger synths etc.
Make music shake again!

Data_Shrine

05 Oct 2017

For a start, they could simply use the higher-res bitmaps (which all RE already have..) It's too difficult to do, apparently. Maybe no one at PH can redraw Subtractor.. eh.

I won't be updating to R10 unless they improve on the engine/graphics.. yeah. I was excited, but now i'm bummed.

jlgrimes

05 Oct 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:
05 Oct 2017
For a start, they could simply use the higher-res bitmaps (which all RE already have..) It's too difficult to do, apparently. Maybe no one at PH can redraw Subtractor.. eh.

I won't be updating to R10 unless they improve on the engine/graphics.. yeah. I was excited, but now i'm bummed.
I think a graphics update is inevitable as 4K is slowly becoming the standard and stuff should be easy to read on laptop monitors at those resolutions. That said Propellerheads isn't the only one with this problem. Ableton Live while making improvements looks very tiny on a 4K monitor and I was force to lower the resolution just to be able to look at Ableton. However I heard they haven't made any improvements on the 4K side.

Reason 9 on the other hand had a lot of glitches when trying to run at a high resolution and I was forced to run in low resolution mode, so Reason might have some memory management issues, while Ableton just seems to have visual aesthetic issues.

That said it is probably something performance related on why we haven't seen an update on both sides as 4K can be resource intensive.

I'm guessing the graphics update would be perfect time to update the GUI to make use of the higher resolution. Probably a good time to rethink the GUI.

EnochLight

05 Oct 2017

Psuper wrote:
04 Oct 2017
Reason has one of the worst UIs possible for smooth unhindered workflow, always has been their worst aspect in my book, too large before, too small now.
I disagree with this partly, as I feel Reason's user interface is part of its workflow. You're either with it, or you're not - in which case Reason is probably not going to work for you. That said, if you're referring to the size (as in, no zoom into the rack, limited zoom in the sequencer), then I totally agree though. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

05 Oct 2017

Looking forward to the Grain live feed tomorrow. In case you were wondering ;)

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Oct 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
05 Oct 2017
Data_Shrine wrote:
05 Oct 2017

I think a graphics update is inevitable as 4K is slowly becoming the standard and stuff should be easy to read on laptop monitors at those resolutions. That said Propellerheads isn't the only one with this problem. Ableton Live while making improvements looks very tiny on a 4K monitor and I was force to lower the resolution just to be able to look at Ableton. However I heard they haven't made any improvements on the 4K side.

Reason 9 on the other hand had a lot of glitches when trying to run at a high resolution and I was forced to run in low resolution mode, so Reason might have some memory management issues, while Ableton just seems to have visual aesthetic issues.

That said it is probably something performance related on why we haven't seen an update on both sides as 4K can be resource intensive.

I'm guessing the graphics update would be perfect time to update the GUI to make use of the higher resolution. Probably a good time to rethink the GUI.
The problem here is really with the hardware and operating system. A 4K display at should be displaying everything at 1.5 - 2x size across the board, and it's up to the operating system to do that, not applications.

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
05 Oct 2017
4K is slowly becoming the standard
Where do you get this information?

EnochLight

05 Oct 2017

aeox wrote:
05 Oct 2017
jlgrimes wrote:
05 Oct 2017
While virtually all TV's sold right now that are decent quality are all 4K (seriously, 1080p panels being sold are just "meh" right now), computer monitors seem to be stuck (popularly) in much lower resolutions. 1366-x-768 is still common for most laptops, and even 1920-x-1080 have only recently begun to be popular:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017 ... 5c28b2206d

I think it's the less than 7% of Mac users on Retina displays that have the biggest issues.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

05 Oct 2017

aeox wrote:
05 Oct 2017
jlgrimes wrote:
05 Oct 2017
It's on Wikipedia :lol:

EdGrip

05 Oct 2017

1920 X 1200 4eva!!! <3 <3 <3

miscend

05 Oct 2017

Anyone else looking forward to the grain live feed tomorrow? I can’t wait hear some of the patches and see what the new features are.

• Information