Possible "coloration" of SSL mixer vs. 14:2 mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

06 Aug 2016

I knew this would happen. As soon as I bring up some kind of listening test people run away from it. Never mind, I know how that works. They don't want their fairytale to be unraveled.

In the end your ears will tell you straight away what you like or don't like. A simple test will enlighten you. And it might keep you from spending a lot of money too.

SA Studio

06 Aug 2016

Whoa there. Not trying to offend you or not be a part of your test in fear of my own fairy tale being unraveled.

You're welcome to your opinions. You said you think a laptop is as capable as a studio console and also have the opinion that digital is better than tube for guitar amps. You also seem to think that the value of expensive outboard analog gear is a myth. I'm not trying to argue with you. I simply don't agree with you. No need to get mad or bothered about anything.

If I can find a minute and sit and listen to those examples, I'll give it a shot
Last edited by SA Studio on 06 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

06 Aug 2016

SA Studio wrote:Whoa there. Not trying to offend you or not be a part of your test in fear of my own fairy tale being unraveled.

You're welcome to your opinions. You said you think a laptop is as capable as a studio console and also have the opinion that digital is better than tube for guitar amps. You also seem to think that the value of expensive outboard analog gear is a myth. I'm not trying to argue with you. I simply don't agree with you. No need to get mad or bothered about anything.
Please listen to my guitar examples and pick the ones with real amps and those with simulated amps. If tubes sounds a lot better, this should be easy for you.

taddx

06 Aug 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:check out for example these files here:
http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/oh-my-tu ... s-amazing/
good stuff sir, thanks for sharing

QVprod

06 Aug 2016

SA Studio wrote:Whoa there. Not trying to offend you or not be a part of your test in fear of my own fairy tale being unraveled.

If I can find a minute and sit and listen to those examples, I'll give it a shot
Following along, I do think it should be noted that many high profile mix engineers including Dave Pensado, and Andrew Scheps mix ITB.

Remember Andrew Scheps is this guy with a wall of outboard gear

Yet he mixes ITB now...

At one point in time (when digital mixing was still new) one could say that analog was indeed better. But today in 2016, it's all just a matter of preference. No one can tell whether or not a song was mixed OTB or ITB unless you mixed it yourself.

selig
RE Developer

06 Aug 2016

QVprod wrote:

Following along, I do think it should be noted that many high profile mix engineers including Dave Pensado, and Andrew Scheps mix ITB.

Yet he mixes ITB now...

At one point in time (when digital mixing was still new) one could say that analog was indeed better. But today in 2016, it's all just a matter of preference. No one can tell whether or not a song was mixed OTB or ITB unless you mixed it yourself.
For many of us it's been a matter of preference for some time now. I more often choose to go over to the dark side, but Shhhh - don't tell anyone! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

06 Aug 2016

I love the time we live in. Never got better a sound than now. So easy and convenient and creative.

househoppin09

06 Aug 2016

Absolutely agreed! We have some stunningly good ITB options now, and all of the oldschool analog equipment is also still available, and more affordable than ever. It really is just a matter of preference. People should mix however they personally are able to get the best results. The more options, the better! :)

jonheal

06 Aug 2016

selig wrote:
QVprod wrote:

Yet he mixes ITB now...

For many of us it's been a matter of preference for some time now. I more often choose to go over to the dark side, but Shhhh - don't tell anyone! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here is an interesting interview with this Andrew Scheps fellow where he discusses his beloved gear and also talks about doing things digitally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbqjoPDpGyw
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Stranger.

06 Aug 2016

Ok.How many people tried the rsfile>?
Without multi-quoting-there seems little response other than 1 'confirm'....
This pic shows 1 way to metering with taps / <<while using reason.>>
splittTaps.JPG
splittTaps.JPG (161.99 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
Eg.
Rearoute asio drivers from reason>>>reaper <uses soundcard asio outputs.
4 seperate tracks are made in reaper.
1 folder track controls 3 seperate stereo inputs,izotope is inserted on this folder channel,and meter bridge is opened.
1 stereo channel feed is reason master section 1+2.
1 stereo feed is from reason,channels 3+4,output from 14:2 mixer.
1 stereo feed,channels 5+6,output from either a reason mix,or audio channel output,or w/e.

Taps are inserted on each stereo channel feed,and meters are read..in this case showing variations,for me,at this time.
All quite basic and simple,and there may be mis-interpretation along the way i guess.

As topic turned to saturation,amps and tubes-- people --"use what you have,and try to use it well" as some say.
Today,all these great things can be combined,and used to form new boundries.
Sonically+technically for those that are interested and willing to try exploring new methods of creations,today =is a good day!!

Please confirm if file shows any type of result,or not,thanX.

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Aug 2016

Stranger, I've seen your Reason file and it made zero sense concerning the title of this thread. I can confirm that the 14:2 nulls completely against the SSl emulation Channel.

SA Studio

06 Aug 2016

Yes - we have more options than ever and that's wonderful.

To know why expensive outboard is heralded, as I mentioned, is a good study. At least it's been a nice journey for myself.

Yes- some engi's are all ITB now......key word being "some".

The absolute only thing I was advocating was educating one's self on WHY certain thing like tubes and analog outboard has set the bar for so many decades.

SA Studio

06 Aug 2016

househoppin09 wrote:Absolutely agreed! We have some stunningly good ITB options now, and all of the oldschool analog equipment is also still available, and more affordable than ever. It really is just a matter of preference. People should mix however they personally are able to get the best results. The more options, the better! :)

Absolutely :)

8cros

06 Aug 2016

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:Stranger, I've seen your Reason file and it made zero sense concerning the title of this thread. I can confirm that the 14:2 nulls completely against the SSl emulation Channel.
Screenshot of my project.
6:2 and SSL
There are obvious differences between them. I could be wrong, as happened very often. :puf_unhappy:
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (407.51 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Aug 2016

8cros - do this for me please...

1. add dr rex and loop of your choice

2. add splitter and add a 6:2 or 14:2 - doesnt matter

3 make mix channel and split signal between 14:2 and mix channel

4. keep everything at "Unity Gain" which will be default level

5. Inverse the phase on one of them and look at the master meter - dead silent

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Aug 2016

or another alternative is to route the outputs of 14:2 and the SSL channel to hardware outputs of Reason aand rewire into your other DAW . Flip the phase and the results should be the same

8cros

06 Aug 2016

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:8cros - do this for me please...

1. add dr rex and loop of your choice

2. add splitter and add a 6:2 or 14:2 - doesnt matter

3 make mix channel and split signal between 14:2 and mix channel

4. keep everything at "Unity Gain" which will be default level

5. Inverse the phase on one of them and look at the master meter - dead silent
I got a different result. :redface:
Attachments
Untitled-1 2.jpg
Untitled-1 2.jpg (414.33 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Last edited by 8cros on 06 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.
REASON RESONANCES

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Aug 2016

dude... you did not do what i said

Why are you throwing the compressor into the mix? you only have one channel when there should be two...please follow my instructions - and also screenshot the back of your rack

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Aug 2016

Also please don't add the flower Meter... I don't have Normen's delay unit so I can't measure if it's producing latency.... Can someone else chime in here if ya got one?

8cros

06 Aug 2016

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:dude... you did not do what i said

Why are you throwing the compressor into the mix? you only have one channel when there should be two...please follow my instructions - and also screenshot the back of your rack
Compressor before the spider. He adds 23.6dB.
Spider creates two lanes A and B.
A - Mixer 6: 2
B - Mixer SSL
And then connects the Master SSL and Master 6: 2.
Last edited by 8cros on 06 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.
REASON RESONANCES

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Aug 2016

ok I give up

WongoTheSane

06 Aug 2016

8cros, could you remove Flower and post the song file?

selig
RE Developer

06 Aug 2016

Can I just remind everyone that a null test will fail not only if there is a color (spectral) difference, but also if there is even the slightest volume OR timing difference. So if the test fails you really have NO idea what the actual difference might be nor which signal is the one that is different (or it could be both signals differ from the original or from each other).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Aug 2016

selig wrote:Can I just remind everyone that a null test will fail not only if there is a color (spectral) difference, but also if there is even the slightest volume OR timing difference. So if the test fails you really have NO idea what the actual difference might be nor which signal is the one that is different (or it could be both signals differ from the original or from each other).

Thank you Giles, my thoughts were the same

WongoTheSane

06 Aug 2016

selig wrote:Can I just remind everyone that a null test will fail not only if there is a color (spectral) difference, but also if there is even the slightest volume OR timing difference. So if the test fails you really have NO idea what the actual difference might be nor which signal is the one that is different (or it could be both signals differ from the original or from each other).

I agree. I figured the hunt for those differences would be fun, hence the request for the file :D

• Information