Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

29 Apr 2017

I'm so excited about this, that I can't sleep (and I don't even have Beta access yet!)

I've been using a second DAW with loopback for years, just to access a few of my favorite VSTs. And I LOVED it - but this is even better now (no jumping through hoops to use my VSTs!)

And the best part is that I can now start using VST EFFECTS too! When using a second DAW + Loopback, I could never get effects working with low-enough latency to make it practical. So a few of my favorite VST effects were just collecting dust for the last 5 years or so. I'm SO excited that I can use the effects directly in Reason now.

I sort of thought I'd see this in my lifetime coming to Reason, but I thought it was going to be 10 years out from now... :)

Soft Enerji

29 Apr 2017

I am truly amazed that this has happened..........never thought it would! Never actually wanted it myself but big ups Props! Can't wait to see how the implementation goes!

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

Do the vsts's have to be in a certain folder to show up then? in the video it just says something like, Reason detects the vst's on your computer?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

platzangst

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:Do the vsts's have to be in a certain folder to show up then? in the video it just says something like, Reason detects the vst's on your computer?
There are some common locations where VSTs get installed; on my Win10 computer there's a folder called "Program Files" and in that folder there's a subfolder called "Vstplugins" where the majority of my VSTs are automatically installed. Most likely Reason will check that folder out first, without needing to be told. Some VSTs decide to install to other locations, for whatever reason, and if that folder location is exotic enough, Reason will probably have to have to be told to look in that specific location for any VSTs.

Gulale

29 Apr 2017

Where the hell is my Beta Mattias?
Gulale aka Bereket

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

Not really interested in producing till I get into the beta tbh. Or until may 29th.
Or winter.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Le Boeuf

29 Apr 2017

The beta is running more stable than Logic x did on my Mac lol

Le Boeuf

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:Do the vsts's have to be in a certain folder to show up then? in the video it just says something like, Reason detects the vst's on your computer?

Theres a new setting tab where you Can Tell which folder reason should look for vst's in. Multiple if you Want :)

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

platzangst wrote:
There are some common locations where VSTs get installed; on my Win10 computer there's a folder called "Program Files" and in that folder there's a subfolder called "Vstplugins" where the majority of my VSTs are automatically installed. Most likely Reason will check that folder out first, without needing to be told. Some VSTs decide to install to other locations, for whatever reason, and if that folder location is exotic enough, Reason will probably have to have to be told to look in that specific location for any VSTs.
So Reason will scan your whole computer looking for vst's? you could have a terabyte (or bigger) hard-drive. That might take a while eh? How big is your hard-drive platzangst? and how long did it take?

Think it would be handy if you could set which folder you want Reason to look in for vst's in the preferences. That way, all your vst's are located in that folder and Reason knows where to look straight away without having to search.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

chimp_spanner

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
platzangst wrote:
So Reason will scan your whole computer looking for vst's? you could have a terabyte (or bigger) hard-drive. That might take a while eh? How big is your hard-drive platzangst? and how long did it take?

Think it would be handy if you could set which folder you want Reason to look in for vst's in the preferences. That way, all your vst's are located in that folder and Reason knows where to look straight away without having to search.
VST locations are definable. It doesn't scan your whole computer, don't worry :)

joeyluck

29 Apr 2017

platzangst wrote:
Some VSTs decide to install to other locations, for whatever reason
Yeah it's pretty annoying. And it's not just the plugins, but all kinds of other documentation and presets, etc. get stored in different places. Installation and uninstallation woes...

Moccrok

29 Apr 2017

Sorry if this has been answered before, but my question is Like Cubase Pro 9 will Reason 9.5 only use 64-Bit Vst's? Or will 32-Bit be usable as well?

Gulale

29 Apr 2017

Le Boeuf wrote:The beta is running more stable than Logic x did on my Mac lol
It really amuses me how you guys come up with such a comment. I have like around 4 or 5 DAWs and never crashed. Every time people start talking about stability issues on DAW in 2017 it shows me what a crack plugins junky they are.
Gulale aka Bereket

mrnicehat

29 Apr 2017

Over 500 posts in one day. that's massive for a single thread.

17 years of isolation.

Good bye :re: -Lenin.

...but it wasn't all bad in our little DDR :|

Is it only me? Or have some people here the same deja-vu

platzangst

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote: So Reason will scan your whole computer looking for vst's? you could have a terabyte (or bigger) hard-drive. That might take a while eh? How big is your hard-drive platzangst? and how long did it take?
No, I'm saying that it will likely focus on one or two probable locations where VSTs commonly get installed, and check those first, without needing to be told. VSTs in other locations will need you to provide their specific drive locations to be found.

I mean sure, if you tell Reason that all your VSTs are stored in "C:" it'll try to scan your whole drive. But you ought not to do that.

I don't have the beta (yet), but I've been reading some of the comments and it sounds like Reason is going to do something similar to the routines used by other VST hosts I've run. Currently the process only takes a few seconds. On a previous computer, which was much slower, and I had crammed with a lot of "junk" free VST gadgets, the process could be much longer, particularly with certain hosts. There were even a few VSTs that would hang up some of my hosts because for some inexplicable reason the VSTs wanted to check my Fonts folder (of all things) and since I also work with graphics I have thousands of fonts. But now I have only a small selection of VSTs that I decided I liked well enough to carry over to the next computer, and everything wraps up in a few moments.

Creativemind wrote:Think it would be handy if you could set which folder you want Reason to look in for vst's in the preferences. That way, all your vst's are located in that folder and Reason knows where to look straight away without having to search.
Judging by other comments, that is the case, though in your initial startup it may go ahead and check those common locations before you set any other folders.

Rainy Day

29 Apr 2017

No VST3 support. Thus no Halion 6 for Mac in Reason :-(

Ostermilk

29 Apr 2017

Moccrok wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before, but my question is Like Cubase Pro 9 will Reason 9.5 only use 64-Bit Vst's? Or will 32-Bit be usable as well?
Like with any 64bit DAW it will run native 64bit plugins, as with any other 64 bit DAW to run 32 bit plug-ins they will need to be bridged. Some DAWs e.g Sonar have bridging built-in and some you need to use a 3rd party bridge. e.g jBridge is a popular choice.

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Bear in mind bridging 32 bit plug-ins isn't an exacting science and some plug-ins will work better than others.

ljekio

29 Apr 2017

How about VST automation and remote mappings in the 9.5?
Is there way for save and edit remotemaps for any plugins?

Ostermilk

29 Apr 2017

platzangst wrote:
Creativemind wrote: So Reason will scan your whole computer looking for vst's? you could have a terabyte (or bigger) hard-drive. That might take a while eh? How big is your hard-drive platzangst? and how long did it take?
No, I'm saying that it will likely focus on one or two probable locations where VSTs commonly get installed, and check those first, without needing to be told. VSTs in other locations will need you to provide their specific drive locations to be found.

I mean sure, if you tell Reason that all your VSTs are stored in "C:" it'll try to scan your whole drive. But you ought not to do that.

I don't have the beta (yet), but I've been reading some of the comments and it sounds like Reason is going to do something similar to the routines used by other VST hosts I've run. Currently the process only takes a few seconds. On a previous computer, which was much slower, and I had crammed with a lot of "junk" free VST gadgets, the process could be much longer, particularly with certain hosts. There were even a few VSTs that would hang up some of my hosts because for some inexplicable reason the VSTs wanted to check my Fonts folder (of all things) and since I also work with graphics I have thousands of fonts. But now I have only a small selection of VSTs that I decided I liked well enough to carry over to the next computer, and everything wraps up in a few moments.

Creativemind wrote:Think it would be handy if you could set which folder you want Reason to look in for vst's in the preferences. That way, all your vst's are located in that folder and Reason knows where to look straight away without having to search.
Judging by other comments, that is the case, though in your initial startup it may go ahead and check those common locations before you set any other folders.
Yep, that's pretty much it.

On Windows it checks for at least C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins and C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins which are the two most likely locations on a PC to contain 64 bit VST(i)'s. You can add custom locations of your choice via Reason Preferences/Advanced once Reason is running.

Some people have been reporting plugins not being found when they have plug-ins installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins which of course is where you'd usually expect to find 32 bit plugins installed, of course 32 bit plugins wont work without being bridged, so make sure you are actually installing 64 bit plugins to those 'default' locations.

chimp_spanner

29 Apr 2017

Gulale wrote:
Le Boeuf wrote:The beta is running more stable than Logic x did on my Mac lol
It really amuses me how you guys come up with such a comment. I have like around 4 or 5 DAWs and never crashed. Every time people start talking about stability issues on DAW in 2017 it shows me what a crack plugins junky they are.
For real. VST has been a stable technology for a long time, and certainly since I went legit. This was a good move for PH no doubt. I just hope they're prepared for the inevitable influx of complaints from people saying Reason is no longer stable because it won't load their cracked Waves collection :lol: Because you *know* that's coming.

lzap

29 Apr 2017

Well at least PH will still offer great REs and these are very good, Parsec or Radical Piano to name few. That is the worst case which will actually not happen, there will be new REs coming up I am pretty sure. It does not make sense to do RE versions of VST plugins much, but those which are unique are still appealing.

The Tone Ranger

29 Apr 2017

Given the choice I'll take a RE over the VST of the same plugin. I've been a Reason user since version 2. I don't care if I can't use RE's in other DAW's because I don't need to use another DAW's ever again. I've been using it so long it's unlikely I'm ever going to stop.

MirEko

29 Apr 2017

I will still buy RE when given the option.
But there is one VST i have held onto and that is NI Reaktor and Twisted Tools ensembles.
I might need to upgrade Reason now.. Lets see if I can hold out to R10 :lol: (R7 still :P )
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

Trying to extract one rack device to another daw is impossible.
Cuz for one the keyboard shortcuts for em wouldn't work, they aren't in the same codebase, they do not leave reason because reason is meant to be used either by itself or as a modular addon to something else.

Reason didn't get native vst support till 7 when the emi module came out [Everything including exe, not vst 2.4 only]
Rewire is specifically for that, and would be a waste of resources porting pieces of the whole daw like that when it takes them long enough maintaining it as a whole xD
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:VST locations are definable. It doesn't scan your whole computer, don't worry :)
Chimp ..or any BETA tester...question...can you have Reason check if a new VST plugin has been installed , re scan the folder and load that plugin to be used while a Reason session is up and running? With no need to restart REASON. Ableton does this and it's very handy.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information