Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 349
Jagwah

01 Jul 2016

Proud new owner of Reason 9. Very exciting coming from Reason 7.

Just one last time I must say:

Reason 7 FTW!!!!!!!!

:D !!!!!!!

8cros

01 Jul 2016

Jagwah wrote:Proud new owner of Reason 9. Very exciting coming from Reason 7.

Reason 7 FTW!!!!!!!!

It's not fair, we were deprived of the joy.

Not everyone shares your free obtaining of R8. :|
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

jfrichards

01 Jul 2016

Reason 7 FTW!!!!!!!!
Congratulations Jag, 9 is very very cool. The sounds and the players are perfect for the dance music that you and I love. But I asked props to disable all the features of 8 in your license, and they did that. Mwah ha ha! But really, you will love the features of 8 too. I've been using them every day for over a year and a half, so just one last time I must say: Reason 8 FTW!!!!!! Got any recent tracks? I'd love to hear them, even if they're in a rough stage. BTW, don't forget the add-ons from Softphonics, they're fabulous.

Jagwah

02 Jul 2016

jfrichards wrote:
Reason 7 FTW!!!!!!!!
Congratulations Jag, 9 is very very cool. The sounds and the players are perfect for the dance music that you and I love. But I asked props to disable all the features of 8 in your license, and they did that. Mwah ha ha! But really, you will love the features of 8 too. I've been using them every day for over a year and a half, so just one last time I must say: Reason 8 FTW!!!!!! Got any recent tracks? I'd love to hear them, even if they're in a rough stage. BTW, don't forget the add-ons from Softphonics, they're fabulous.
lol :) Yeah the players are really cool and I love that I can use them in conjunction with progressing with music theory. Thanks for the heads up on the Softphonics refill, didn't know that and getting it now.
I've spent many months setting up the new place I have moved to so have had a big break from Reason, listening to a lot of music from my past (all those cassette tapes and CDs never got thrown out) and that's been really cool, but now ready to get back to it.
Have a ton of WIPs that deserve completion imo, and also I have created something very special inside Reason - basically a set of algorithms that write music and beats for me then I come and add my human touch, can't stop working on it atm. Eager to explain more and share it but also wanting to keep it a secret, could make a good RE, or a great combinator provided we get that super combi one day.
Loving the new blue theme, and the chords Player, and loving your singing too while writing this :)

Grooq

03 Jul 2016

Hi all,
In the next few days I will upgrade to R9, but I am a bit confused.
My previous Reason (still 6.5) is uninstalled and I downloaded the R9 file (3.5GB).
Should I buy the upgrade before installing R9, or can I install now, use in demo mode until I upgrade?
I tempt to try it at least in demo mode but I am not sure if I can.

Another question: is there ANY legal difference btw the online purchase and the boxed version? In my country the boxed version is slightly cheaper. What does the boxed version contain? What is the point of it?
thx.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2016

Well I upgraded to 9 on Friday and used it to compose my latest track. I must say that the midi reverse and bounce to track alone greatly improved my workflow because it allowed me to quickly create reversed sequences while keeping the melody or drum pattern.

Plus it just made it 1000x times easier to go from composition to mixing. I prefer to mix with audio and I like to do destructive edits because stimulates a completely different mental mode of operations.

pushedbutton

03 Jul 2016

I've found a shop that sells it so I'll go and pick it up tomorrow.
there are two reason for this.
1) I get a box, I love boxes
2) It's about £10 cheaper than buying it from the props store due to the value of the pound at the moment.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jacobsladder

06 Jul 2016

I did but i noticed some of the sounds I've accumulated over the years have exclamation marks on them as if they've been lost. sometimes if you let your cpu sleep the sounds aren't available to be seen by your external hd so i allowed my cpu to run for hours and they still haven't popped up yet. hmm

jfrichards

06 Jul 2016

jacobsladder wrote:I did but i noticed some of the sounds I've accumulated over the years have exclamation marks on them as if they've been lost....
Happened to me too. They had been moved. I found them with a search.

Creativemind

07 Jul 2016

I did put 'Yes' to this post, as in 'will' upgrade, but I've decided to wait till a point version comes out. There's just a few features (for now) that I'd like to see, some aren't that extreme either (mute /unmute notes in midi editor, shaded rows when adding notes or pressing midi controller key/s in midi editor, ganged / linked faders on the SSL and a couple of others) and I'd upgrade straight away.

Isn't there a comprehensive list of all features (including little ones) anywhere on the Props site?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Yonatan

08 Jul 2016

Agree on those additions above. Have upgraded but expect to see some filning of the gaps with such wokflow features.

Creativemind

08 Jul 2016

Yonatan wrote:Agree on those additions above. Have upgraded but expect to see some filning of the gaps with such wokflow features.
Let's hope so.

Might mail them again soon. Just a few little tweaks for me.

Timeline Markers (stackable (up to 5). Brilliant for analysing songs, where things come in and drop out)
Ganged/Linked Faders on the SSL
Mute / Unmute of Notes in Midi Editor
Undo Events List (At least 500 undo's)
db / width / panning numerical readings on Main Mixer Channels
All Parameters in dB / Hz inc Automation Checkbox in Preferences (dunno what 1-1000 is for automation, I wanna see what db / hz etc I'm automating in the sequencer)
Synch All Windows Checkbox (Mute / Solo / Order / Labelling / Browsers) in Preferences

I know there's plenty more, more bigger things like Supercombi / PDC/ADC / Audiowarp / Zoom In On Rack etc but for me, but if they gave us those 7 features in a point update or 2 (they're not especially big features really most of'em) ker ching, I'd part with my cash straight away. The other things are bigger things that they would obviously save for a whole version update.

They should of given us more of those little 'nuts 'n' bolts' features as someone called them recently instead of giving us things like Players, as good as they are.

Yonatan

09 Jul 2016

Folding or hide channels in the mixer would be awesome too. And that naming channels in both mixer and sequencer to be in sync. Also drag ´n drop to the main mixer etc. Many smaller things that honestly should have been made in R8.X which would make the overall workflow and experience better in Reason.
I fully embrace new things like Players and pitch editor (who would buy an upgrade with only small adjustments?) but in smaller point updates, I want them to deliver more than now is the case. We should not have to wait years and years for quite simple improvements, never really knowing if they will be adressed at all. Would we see a more determined pace with thsese smaller details ("devil is in the details"?), the frustration would ease off a bit because we know and can relax that PH really working on it.
I just find it strange how PH themselves dont get frustrated about certain things that block up the creative work flow on projects.
Many of the workflow issues, there seem to be common opinion among regular users here, so I hope PH listen and give some love to some workflow betterments.

Creativemind

09 Jul 2016

Yonatan wrote:Folding or hide channels in the mixer would be awesome too. And that naming channels in both mixer and sequencer to be in sync. Also drag ´n drop to the main mixer etc. Many smaller things that honestly should have been made in R8.X which would make the overall workflow and experience better in Reason.
I fully embrace new things like Players and pitch editor (who would buy an upgrade with only small adjustments?) but in smaller point updates, I want them to deliver more than now is the case. We should not have to wait years and years for quite simple improvements, never really knowing if they will be adressed at all. Would we see a more determined pace with thsese smaller details ("devil is in the details"?), the frustration would ease off a bit because we know and can relax that PH really working on it.
I just find it strange how PH themselves dont get frustrated about certain things that block up the creative work flow on projects.
Many of the workflow issues, there seem to be common opinion among regular users here, so I hope PH listen and give some love to some workflow betterments.
Not really following the fold / hide channels in the mixer thing. Like collapsing? I never really have an issue with this but then I don't have big projects with 20+ tracks or anything. You can use the scroll bar underneath, is that too time consuming or what is the issue?

What would you want to drag 'n' drop to the mixer, drop sends or inserts or something?

And naming all channels you mentioned. This is what I meant by Synch All Windows checkbox in Preferences. I wish it synched "the naming of tracks" in all windows, "the muting and solo'ing of tracks" in all windows, "the move the order of any instruments / channels" so that the order stays the same in all 3 windows and same with the Browsers in the Sequncer and Rack. Whatever browser you have open in the sequencer is the same in the rack. Even if it meant everytime you did so, it took the computer a second to do it (not sure how quickly you could get the computer to re-arrange / label etc the other 2 windows). Maybe you could have it quick enough to not notice.

I've always thought it strange how the Props don't get frustrated too. We obviously do. Someone said recently in a thread on here, seems like the Props actually use their software unlike other daw manufacturers. to me sometimes it seems like they don't in my opinion lol! Else they'd get as frustrated as I do sometimes, when you can't turn multiple faders down on the SSL at once (like I've needed countless times), or go back to a specific undo, or mute individual notes in the midi editor, or see what key your pressing on your midi controller in the midi editor if you're trying to find what note is displayed in the midi editor on your midi keyboard.

As for "who would upgrade if they only gave us small adjustments?" very true but they could've given us improvements on what we already had instead, like I'd like to see a Thor 2, which I posted a picture of in another thread with many great ideas suggested there, or a Supercombinator which people have asked for, or SDKIII with Sample Loading and then a Props made Granular Synth with Sample Loading and made the Audio to Midi and Pitch Correction polyphonic instead.

jonheal

09 Jul 2016

Well ... I was going to upgrade. I always do. And I may at some point, but not at this time. I have spent so much money on audio software over the years and done so little with it. So now I am really trying to restrict my options.

I have a copy of Studio One v2 and the previous full version of Melodyne I wouldn't mind selling, but it is probably more trouble than it's worth. I would also like to get rid of FL Studio, but you can't resell that.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2016

pushedbutton wrote:I've found a shop that sells it so I'll go and pick it up tomorrow.
2) It's about £10 cheaper than buying it from the props store due to the value of the pound at the moment.
The value of the pound has not helped in buying anything outside of the UK so it isn't a positive thing.
The lifetime updates deal I recently bought from Cakewalk (pre-Brexit) is now over £10 more expensive. The price of the R9 upgrade is also around £10 more than it would have been if the status had been quoed. (I may have made up that last word ;) )

Grum.

pushedbutton

09 Jul 2016

Grumbleweed wrote:
pushedbutton wrote:I've found a shop that sells it so I'll go and pick it up tomorrow.
The value of the pound has not helped in buying anything outside of the UK so it isn't a positive thing.
The lifetime updates deal I recently bought from Cakewalk (pre-Brexit) is now over £10 more expensive. The price of the R9 upgrade is also around £10 more than it would have been if the status had been quoed. (I may have made up that last word ;) )

Grum.
I'm not saying it's a positive, i'm just saying it's the best deal I could get for my money. Yup, when the price of the upgrade was announced it was about £99, when it became available it was £106 and when I got around to buying it a few days later is was £108. Retail shops in the UK have a set price of £99, for the moment anyhow. The cost of borrowing should go down soon, but that's bad news for those with savings. Interesting times.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Gorgon

11 Jul 2016

I'm still not convinced. Sitting on R7 now, been trying out the demo for R9. The players seem nice at first but start to look shallow and limited pretty quickly. I also do not like it how they're just "there" and not connected by cables. This can cause confusion. I couldn't give a **** about the extra sounds, that's just stuffing. There are no significant improvements at all where it counts, in the sequencer. Not enough there to justify spending 129 euros on. Not even close.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

KEVMOVE02

11 Jul 2016

jonheal wrote:Well ... I was going to upgrade. I always do. And I may at some point, but not at this time. I have spent so much money on audio software over the years and done so little with it. So now I am really trying to restrict my options.

I have a copy of Studio One v2 and the previous full version of Melodyne I wouldn't mind selling, but it is probably more trouble than it's worth. I would also like to get rid of FL Studio, but you can't resell that.
+1000

The guilt of wasted time and money has driven me to narrow my choices, which improves my focus. I justify the expense of upgrading to the latest version by either making enough money using Reason to justify its costs. If it were just a hobby, I would measure success by whether I derived any joy from using it. The Propellerhead sandbox meets my two criteria with flying colors.

thmpbeats

11 Jul 2016

I already did and it was well worth the 130$ in so many ways.
I have a youtube channel where I kick it with my community and give away tips and tricks. contests for Rack extensions ect.
Right now I have a contest going on for a free rack extension from Blamsoft called Zero Hybrid Synth!!!
This is not spam... lol anyone who wants to join the contest for free click the link below..
Oh yeah, F*** what you think about Reason, what can you do with it? ;)

:re: :reason: :record: :recycle: :cool:

bama

24 Jul 2016

Upgraded to 8, and got 9 as well.
Been playing around with 8 until yesterday, and like it.
Opened 9, immediately used bounce in place, was happy right there, and decided to switch to dark theme.
That's it, that's the best feature in the update for me. So much easier on my eyes, even with the mixer visible on top of the sequencer window.
Don't think I'll use the players al lot, who knows, I'll try them out, but I do mostly audio with some synths sparingly used in a few songs.
I'll try the other features as well, but pitch correction was not very high on my wishlist anyway.

Jagwah

25 Jul 2016

Just love it, using a totally different workflow, actually can't get away from the players.

Dark themes are awesome, I really like reverse automation clips, heaps of great things, feels very different in a good way, feels quite matured.

Reason 9 FTW !!

kitekrazy

07 Aug 2016

I will get to it eventually. You can get the upgrade for about $109 at JrrShop. Maybe Props will sweeten the deal down the road for upgraders. I don't use it a lot but part of that is not knowing it enough. Plus something DAW wise usually ends up on sale to take away funds for it.

dioxide

10 Aug 2016

Voted no, but I will eventually. For now I'm sticking with something stable that possibly uses less CPU than R9. Once something that I need comes along in a future update I will consider the upgrade again.

RendotDnB

10 Aug 2016

A resounding yes. I have already upgraded. I had Reason 4 for many years, and I'm not a serious producer by any means. I just do this to have fun and unwind after work. That being said, its a big step up from Reason 4 and easier for me to use. I love the browser and all the bells and whistles that have been added since Reason 4 (man, I've been missing out!).

I just want to say in regards to a mini MIDI controller for Reason 9. I just went through some craziness when it came to an Akai MPK Mini MKII and a Novation Launchkey Mini MKII. The Akai was a pain in the butt; didn't have time to mess with it and figure it out, I just wanted it to work with minimal tweaking. I returned the Akai and bought the Novation. Had issues with the Novation, but just an FYI lol:

Make sure you push the Incontrol button on the Novation controller to get it to work lol. I fought with the thing for a couple of hours wondering why the knobs weren't working. Hit the Incontrol button and POW everything works perfectly!! Very excited... I wish they would have supported the Akai MPK Mini MKII (The non MKII MPK works just fine apparently), but the Novation is awesome and works nicely for me and my application/environment.

• Information