is anyone really using OHHH's and AHHH's (HUMANA synth)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dan_g

31 Jul 2019

Here is an example. The intro has some ahhhs from humana:

second example: also the same ahhs :roll:

i find when used with some reverb it sounds not too bad.

Edit:
Humana is also hearable in the intro of this remix comp entry from me:

Daniel
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Jagwah

31 Jul 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
30 Jul 2019

Here's the last thing I used it in. June '19
Really nice vibe man, love the uniqueness of it all :)

mjxl

31 Jul 2019

dan_g wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Here is an example. The intro has some ahhhs from humana:

http s://drive.google.com/file/d/1OPoUsKznku2HjuGb1Gu_9fWe33SaxWMY/view?usp=sharing
second example: also the same ahhs :roll:

http s://drive.google.com/file/d/1rK84iVef2Pxfnf9yBaQBRpYTO4rbF1LM/view?usp=sharing

i find when used with some reverb it sounds not too bad.
Edit:
Humana is also hearable in the intro of this remix comp entry from me:

http s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewL1S73Hbjg

Daniel
Teach me senpai :thumbs_up: :o

DougalDarkly

31 Jul 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2019

:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

dan_g

01 Aug 2019

mjxl wrote:
31 Jul 2019

Teach me senpai :thumbs_up: :o
what can i do for you ? ;)
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Lempface

02 Aug 2019

artotaku wrote:
29 Jul 2019
On its own it sounds boring and recognizable. But it´s actually quite useful to quickly stack/layer it on top of other pads to give them some sonic variation and push the sound into a more mystical/majestic/sublime direction.

Example:
This is gorgeous, just wanted you to know!
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

guitfnky

02 Aug 2019

just gotta say, I love it when people post threads in a thinly-veiled effort to get the rest of the community to pile on with them, but the rest of the community isn’t having it. 😆
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

artotaku

02 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
02 Aug 2019
just gotta say, I love it when people post threads in a thinly-veiled effort to get the rest of the community to pile on with them, but the rest of the community isn’t having it. 😆
OHHH? AHHH! :puf_bigsmile:

artotaku

02 Aug 2019

Lempface wrote:
02 Aug 2019
artotaku wrote:
29 Jul 2019
On its own it sounds boring and recognizable. But it´s actually quite useful to quickly stack/layer it on top of other pads to give them some sonic variation and push the sound into a more mystical/majestic/sublime direction.

Example:
This is gorgeous, just wanted you to know!
Thanks!

RobC

02 Aug 2019

Heh, Kiesza's Hideway used sort of solo Ooh, and Aah's for it's chorus!

pushedbutton

21 Aug 2019

another thing i did around juneish, didn't quite get the ending how i wanted it but there are some elements I like.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

reggie1979

21 Aug 2019

Some great examples. Mazing how when people actually use the tools they somehow become useful :lol:

Molotovbeatz

23 Aug 2019

I used it in one of my beat project for a friend. The song is not out yet but I regularly use Humana

chimp_spanner

23 Aug 2019

It's only a demo clip but around 00:33 the "Invaders From Mars" style choirs in the back are Humana.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhmrqn36abah4 ... g.wav?dl=0

I use it in a lot of stuff. Super useful!

joeyluck

23 Aug 2019

For anyone interested, looks like the Soundiron vocal collection is on sale 80% off. Could then have legato on top of many other things. I wonder if they'll ever update Humana to have legato

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... l/#c926685

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2019

I fear Kontakt is starting to fire up my GAS again.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

reggie1979

23 Aug 2019

Ugggggg, No way here. That thing is a MESS!

TheGodOfRainbows

24 Aug 2019

i actually really used Humana all over my latest album Earth Creature, along with Pangea and Klang and nothing else. I really like that trio of instruments being included with Reason. Nutty right?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Aug 2019

This thread makes me very, very happy. :)

diminished
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Aug 2019
This thread makes me very, very happy. :)
No longer afraid of releasing Processed Vuvuzelas? :twisted:

Actually, the more I think about it, processed vuvuzelas could sound really cool. Like those War of the Worlds, cruise ship horn type of sounds.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

26 Aug 2019

joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2019
I wonder if they'll ever update Humana to have legato
:lol:

Well quite.

Humana is a depressingly lazy piece of programming, because the failure here is so, so abject and unnecessary. The entire device feels like an afterthought. As usual, the lack of legato was pointed out by people who understand these things before release, it could have been fixed at a simple level in an afternoon (I say this to head off any accusation that there would have been no time to add it), but no, as usual these correct assessments from testers was roundly ignored because admitting mistakes or a failure in design is seen as weakness rather than growth to make something better.

While of course some will always find a use for things—as demos in this thread highlight, it's not entirely without merit as it stands, I'm not suggesting otherwise—it has no realistic role outside of such background pads or textures layered with other stuff, often with long release times to vainly attempt to cover up lack of legato: you cannot use it for choral solo, for example, because it sounds so fundamentally unnatural. As a choral set it's basically useless and worse than using an old choir soundfont in NNXT.

Even if Props didn't want to license dedicated legato samples and script the auto-switching, frankly, I'd still have done a better job with it as an IDT device than whoever set this up as I'd have gone the extra mile to make sure at least the default IDT legato worked (it's not a perfect solution but it would have been better than nothing, and yes that could have been added (could still be added!) to Humana in an hour or two). Because that's what you're supposed to do, the best you can with the tools you have at your disposal: not release any old crap you threw together in an afternoon, say "this is great, I'm so proud and the eight critics are all wrong because two people used it successfully as a background pad!"

That's the advertising equivalent of "2 out of 10 cat owners say their cats prefer Whiskas!" That's a glowing recommendation right there!

Literally no choir in the world, heck, no-one on the planet sings like Humana has been set up, even people like me who can't sing for shit. One naturally sings legato, not breath takes breath a breath new breath breath breath in breath between breath each breath note breath no breath matter breath how breath short. :roll:

And breeeeeeeathe.

People sing in phrases. So you added a vocal device, you had _one_ thing to get right.

boingy

26 Aug 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
26 Aug 2019
joeyluck wrote:
23 Aug 2019
I wonder if they'll ever update Humana to have legato
:lol:

Well quite.

Humana is a depressingly lazy piece of programming, because the failure here is so, so abject and unnecessary. The entire device feels like an afterthought. As usual, the lack of legato was pointed out by people who understand these things before release, it could have been fixed at a simple level in an afternoon (I say this to head off any accusation that there would have been no time to add it), but no, as usual these correct assessments from testers was roundly ignored because admitting mistakes or a failure in design is seen as weakness rather than growth to make something better.

While of course some will always find a use for things—as demos in this thread highlight, it's not entirely without merit as it stands, I'm not suggesting otherwise—it has no realistic role outside of such background pads or textures layered with other stuff, often with long release times to vainly attempt to cover up lack of legato: you cannot use it for choral solo, for example, because it sounds so fundamentally unnatural. As a choral set it's basically useless and worse than using an old choir soundfont in NNXT.

Even if Props didn't want to license dedicated legato samples and script the auto-switching, frankly, I'd still have done a better job with it as an IDT device than whoever set this up as I'd have gone the extra mile to make sure at least the default IDT legato worked (it's not a perfect solution but it would have been better than nothing, and yes that could have been added (could still be added!) to Humana in an hour or two). Because that's what you're supposed to do, the best you can with the tools you have at your disposal: not release any old crap you threw together in an afternoon, say "this is great, I'm so proud and the eight critics are all wrong because two people used it successfully as a background pad!"

That's the advertising equivalent of "2 out of 10 cat owners say their cats prefer Whiskas!" That's a glowing recommendation right there!

Literally no choir in the world, heck, no-one on the planet sings like Humana has been set up, even people like me who can't sing for shit. One naturally sings legato, not breath takes breath a breath new breath breath breath in breath between breath each breath note breath no breath matter breath how breath short. :roll:

And breeeeeeeathe.

People sing in phrases. So you added a vocal device, you had _one_ thing to get right.
Hehe. Testify, brother!

The real problem is that right now R11 is approaching release and it's bound to include a couple of mediocre instruments to pad out the "what's new" page. They just don't seem to grasp that bundled instruments are nowhere near as important as they used to be because: VST.

• Information