Reason was such a close tight Forum

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sublunar

03 May 2017

QVprod wrote:
KonBrio wrote:I don't even know why they created the forums in the first place. Facebook is way more robust for group discussions now.
KonBrio wrote:Hey PROPS, START AN OFFICIAL FACEBOOK GROUP.
We are not Propellerhead (if you weren't aware). However the benefit of a forum over a facebook group is that it's easier to follow a discussion. Facebook Groups are not good for that. Comments get nested with several different threads al in one post. Sometimes you want to go back to an old post, It's harder to that on FB without scrolling for eternity. Here we have a search function. This forum was started when Propellerhead's forum closed down
Exactly.

Facebook absolutely positively sucks on its own right. Not the least of which as a forum replacement. Every group I'm in on facebook is the same posts repeated ad nauseum every day because of a few reasons, one being that there's no centralized resource for FAQ's and other information that would prevent the needless repetition of the same questions/comments every day. And people are lazy. Forum content is freely available to the internet indefinitely and searches return good results. I cannot stand the ADD inducing nightmare that is facebook. Forums are where it's at.

Oquasec

03 May 2017

Meh, felt reddit & twitter more than facebook but that's because I knew from when I used that site, the layout wouldn't bode well for me xD
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Gorgon

03 May 2017

Oquasec wrote: Who gives a fuck about manuals these days [That one guy] :lol:
That's a pretty dumb and ignorant statement.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Oquasec

03 May 2017

Gorgon wrote:
I have proven time & time again, my stupidity knows no bounds.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

KonBrio

03 May 2017

QVprod wrote:
KonBrio wrote:I don't even know why they created the forums in the first place. Facebook is way more robust for group discussions now.
KonBrio wrote:Hey PROPS, START AN OFFICIAL FACEBOOK GROUP.
We are not Propellerhead (if you weren't aware). However the benefit of a forum over a facebook group is that it's easier to follow a discussion. Facebook Groups are not good for that. Comments get nested with several different threads al in one post. Sometimes you want to go back to an old post, It's harder to that on FB without scrolling for eternity. Here we have a search function. This forum was started when Propellerhead's forum closed down

There is a search group function. I can search "Reason was such a close tight Forum" and it would come up easily. Also, if you commented or liked anything, just chevk your activity log or search a few words of your comment and you could easily find it again. I didn't even mention notifications.

I live in Japan and it was this forum called Gaijinpot that moved to FB. Smooth as hell, super quick responses.

KonBrio

03 May 2017

sublunar wrote:

Exactly.

Facebook absolutely positively sucks on its own right. Not the least of which as a forum replacement. Every group I'm in on facebook is the same posts repeated ad nauseum every day because of a few reasons, one being that there's no centralized resource for FAQ's and other information that would prevent the needless repetition of the same questions/comments every day. And people are lazy. Forum content is freely available to the internet indefinitely and searches return good results. I cannot stand the ADD inducing nightmare that is facebook. Forums are where it's at.
FAQ Problem: Do the same thing that the mods do in the forum, shut off commenting and redirect the OP to thread where the question that has already been answered or make a running document with FAQ's and pin the link to the top of the page.

Ad museum: Delete people who post ads.

Facebook groups are EASILY searchable once you join.

Presonus already does this and it works in their favor, the CEO even makes posts from time to time.

ejanuska

03 May 2017

I like this forum and an influx of noobs is cool. Not sure WTF "mainstream" is supposed to mean regarding a forum. Does it mean noobs get told RTFM for every little question? Does it mean we can post pictures of tits? I just don't know.
I'm not a facebook fan so this is a better venue for me. This is where I found out about the big 9.5 update, learned about REs I never would have found in the lame shop, learned about the finer details of everything from side-chaining to mastering and other tricks not in the manual.

Exowildebeest

03 May 2017

We need extreme vetting and a temporary ban on users coming from unstable DAWs.

sublunar

03 May 2017

KonBrio wrote:FAQ Problem: Do the same thing that the mods do in the forum, shut off commenting and redirect the OP to thread where the question that has already been answered or make a running document with FAQ's and pin the link to the top of the page.
Yeah but who has the time to actively research similar questions to find the one time someone answered it in a random facebook post? That's just wasted time for everyone. FAQs already answer those questions without any extra work on anyone's part except the person with the question.
KonBrio wrote:Ad museum: Delete people who post ads.
Ad nauseum, meaning repetition to the point of nausea. I'm in a few different groups and there's a lot of repetition and not a lot of substance.
KonBrio wrote:Facebook groups are EASILY searchable once you join.
Perhaps they are searchable but they are not organized in any way whatsoever, except for newest posts on top. And they are isolated inside of facebook. You can lurk on forums all day long and learn a lot in the process. Forums are generally public and search engine indexed. You could spend all day on facebook writing the most perfect collection of paragraphs that offer all the wisdom of the universe and after one or two comments later it's buried forever, never to be seen again unless someone happens to search for something and find your nuggets of wisdom -which pretty much never happens. I long ago learned to not throw away my time in such ways. There's practically no return on that investment.
KonBrio wrote:Presonus already does this and it works in their favor, the CEO even makes posts from time to time.
Actual Propellerheads people even post here from time to time.

I argue that forums are infinitely more useful than facebook for a variety of purposes. Facebook is convenient because you're already on there, I guess.. But some of us don't have any interest in investing time into the social media platform that also manages to provide infinite time sucking in an endless variety of ways. I prefer to focus my time and energy into specialized areas of research rather than be confronted with walls of unrelated cat memes, random opinions, selfies, etc. Forums, for me, are for actual work and research. Facebook is for taking breaks from that stuff. Mixing the two becomes extremely non-productive, for me, anyway. I have yet to see a benefit to moving from forums to facebook, with the exception of being already on facebook. Maybe I'm just weird and lose all cognitive abilities when I'm on facebook, but judging by the content I see posted there I don't believe I'm the only one who is so afflicted.

siln

03 May 2017

definitely not a fan of facebook groups, i tend to login to facebook only once a week

MDTerps2015

03 May 2017

bunja wrote:You was a newb once , treat people how you want to be treated.
I think this one flew over you head. I know I was a noob once. Cant a conversation be started without someone assuming or thinking for someone else. All I'm saying is that there will be a bunch of noobs and the forum will probably explode. I wasn't meaning my original post as demeaning to anyone, but the "treat people how you want to be treated" just didn't make sense. If i offended you, get thicker skin.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Kenni
Site Admin

03 May 2017

Let us worry about the forum exploding.

Best you can do is to catch the newcomers the right way.

Glass half full, people.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Ostermilk

03 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
I have proven time & time again, my stupidity knows no bounds.
Yep, but perhaps you don't have to keep proving it at every opportunity that arises.

Which leads me nicely back to the topic.

I will certainly welcome some fresh faces around here... :puf_smile:

ThisIsNotTheMusic

03 May 2017

I know! How about a special forum only for very important, elitist, and special Reason users?? You could call it NO NOOBS ALLOWED - REASON ELITE WELCOME or something similar and then feel very important once you had accessed it? That way, everybody is happy!!! ; )
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

bunja

04 May 2017

Im not a newb but you seemed botherd ish which suggests subconciosly somewhere u did think what i thought u was thinking , and maybe people that havent learned yet annoy you coz you have learned, so what if new learners come , new people are born all the time they all have to learn sometime , be patient with people, everyone forgets masters and genius are made (with hard work and patience not born. Peace

kitekrazy

04 May 2017

ejanuska wrote:I like this forum and an influx of noobs is cool. Not sure WTF "mainstream" is supposed to mean regarding a forum. Does it mean noobs get told RTFM for every little question? Does it mean we can post pictures of tits? I just don't know.
I'm not a facebook fan so this is a better venue for me. This is where I found out about the big 9.5 update, learned about REs I never would have found in the lame shop, learned about the finer details of everything from side-chaining to mastering and other tricks not in the manual.
Most developers are bad at writing manuals. Reaper and Tracktion at one time didn't have one. I hate PDFs and still prefer the chm. files. We forget the noobs are very anxious and so into creating sound they don't want to spend time reading. Sometimes the best way is to use the program and learn at the same time. One could easily watch groove3 or MPV tutorials and then use the app but who wants to do that?

One of the dumbest things I read other than RTFM was "just google it". Well that's how someone got here.

I hate facebook. This is also a great place to find those low priced REs and great Refills. The Prop Shop is a horrible place to search for items by price.

Probably the worst thing in forums are fanboys. Live's forum has the more honest user base. Cakewalk use to be one of the worst that there was a phrase in the Live forum stated "beat down Sonar style". Image Line use to be bad as well. The Steam forums are beyond terrible. It's sad that people get too passionate about code. It's like software has become religions and we declare jihad when someone criticizes our software.

Meanwhile I don't think people will drop their DAWs over Reason having VST support. It's not the new mecca. I get the feeling there wont be this so called mainstream. Outside of the forum they only longer discussion came from the Reaper forum. No responses in Live or Image Line. A few talked about in Cakewalk. I could see the casual users who had a copy of Reason 4 upgrading. Familiarity often wins over something better.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

04 May 2017

kitekrazy wrote:We forget the noobs are very anxious
Aren't they though? : )

I'm still anxious ... :geek:
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

• Information