Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ostermilk

28 Apr 2017

Gulale wrote:why i'm i getting this for beta testing?
Authorization failed

Sorry, in order to join the beta testing you need to own and register a copy of Reason 9 or Reason Essentials 9.
I dunno, but maybe it means you need to own and register a copy of Reason 9 or Reason Essential 9 in order to test 9.5.

I'm just guessing though.

submonsterz

28 Apr 2017

You've now blew reason into the big time guys keep working on these best of the best ways forward.
Only good things can come from these types of movements forward.
A few more things on the cards for the way forward and you've got it completely cracked in the daw market.
I'm excited now .
Another step closer to the all in one daw and the integration to propel it into greatness .
Future now looks a lot brighter for all.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Chizmata wrote:
i can agree so much on many of that. fact is, we dont know how far a different approach would have taken props. maybe every pure electronic musician would have reason at home as his standard tool now, while recording guys still never heard of it. the risk when you widen your approach is to lose the core and not really attract the rest too much - and also lose quality in what initially made you big, while youre always behind trying to adapt to other DAWS strenghths.

quoting myself on the analogue thing:

i would have wished for something more dedicated than nektar panorama. lets say something that has enough, faders, knobs and buttons to theoretically completely control any existing reason device without switching modes or layouts. on top there could be a digital display naming each knobs and faders function depending to which device you switch.
Just out of interest have you tried RsTouch? This is really the closest you're gonna get to what you want. There's really no way that one physical device could ever accommodate every possible Reason device, stock or otherwise. How would a single page controller for Thor work? And how would it adapt to ReDrum, or Parsec, or NN-XT? RsTouch is a great solution to this IMO. Any controller that came even close to this would probably cost at leas as much as an iPad Air 2 or Pro + a compact audio/MIDI interface, so might as well just get one of those and then you can have a more tactile interface. Plus a sweet tablet haha. You can even sequence ReDrum with it! Which is pretty damn cool. Just an idea. I know it's not quite knobs and faders but it's the closest you'll get for now :)

Losing the core user has always been a risk - I felt they came close to doing that for a while, back when Reason wasn't even prominent on the website and everything was about singer-songwriters with an acoustic guitar and a macbook, making music on Figure and Take. That was a dark time :lol: I think now the focus is squarely back on Reason, and once people cross over and start dipping their toes into the modular world their minds will be blown. Maybe once a few videos surface of what's possible with 9.5 you might feel differently. Never say never!

ltbrunt00

28 Apr 2017

This is F*$&#*#@@ Awesome. I have been in the various forums for many years getting no VST smack downs.........

The DAW gods have heard our cheers.

WOW.........
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

28 Apr 2017

May sale on RE's around the corner, 2017 is officially the year of the DAW.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

scrag

28 Apr 2017

Gulale wrote:why i'm i getting this for beta testing?
Authorization failed

Sorry, in order to join the beta testing you need to own and register a copy of Reason 9 or Reason Essentials 9.
Sorry! Try again now...

Chizmata

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
i can agree so much on many of that. fact is, we dont know how far a different approach would have taken props. maybe every pure electronic musician would have reason at home as his standard tool now, while recording guys still never heard of it. the risk when you widen your approach is to lose the core and not really attract the rest too much - and also lose quality in what initially made you big, while youre always behind trying to adapt to other DAWS strenghths.

quoting myself on the analogue thing:

i would have wished for something more dedicated than nektar panorama. lets say something that has enough, faders, knobs and buttons to theoretically completely control any existing reason device without switching modes or layouts. on top there could be a digital display naming each knobs and faders function depending to which device you switch.
Just out of interest have you tried RsTouch? This is really the closest you're gonna get to what you want. There's really no way that one physical device could ever accommodate every possible Reason device, stock or otherwise. How would a single page controller for Thor work? And how would it adapt to ReDrum, or Parsec, or NN-XT? RsTouch is a great solution to this IMO. Any controller that came even close to this would probably cost at leas as much as an iPad Air 2 or Pro + a compact audio/MIDI interface, so might as well just get one of those and then you can have a more tactile interface. Plus a sweet tablet haha. You can even sequence ReDrum with it! Which is pretty damn cool. Just an idea. I know it's not quite knobs and faders but it's the closest you'll get for now :)

Losing the core user has always been a risk - I felt they came close to doing that for a while, back when Reason wasn't even prominent on the website and everything was about singer-songwriters with an acoustic guitar and a macbook, making music on Figure and Take. That was a dark time :lol: I think now the focus is squarely back on Reason, and once people cross over and start dipping their toes into the modular world their minds will be blown. Maybe once a few videos surface of what's possible with 9.5 you might feel differently. Never say never!
as said i didnt like 9 from the start and im closer to downgrading to 5 or 6 than upgrading at any point :lol:

altron

28 Apr 2017

Good for the VSTi world. Most likely the grave digged for RE development.
Trap is where music goes to die.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

I think it depends on how RE develop, which over the last few years has been more toward niche tools than big ports. you might see the ports dry up i guess . but, to an extent, that already happened.

zumBeispiel

28 Apr 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
It's available for Reason Essentials too!
:thumbs_up:
Thank you Mattias.
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 28 Apr 2017, edited 5 times in total.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

altron wrote:Good for the VSTi world. Most likely the grave digged for RE development.
I think it will be the opposite. Rack Extensions have some very clear and distinct advantages over VSTi's, because they were purpose built for that environment. Take a look at something like VK-2 that just came out. All that rear panel goodness, audio rate modulation direct to oscillators, total flexibility over CV routing. For many VST users the closest they've gotten to that has been Reaktor, and even then Reaktor can only interact with itself. Yeah I have no doubt a lot of people are gonna head straight for the Serums and the Massives. But they'll also have access to a huge selection of instruments that no other DAW has, that can do things that no other plugins can do outside of entirely self contained environments like Reaktor!

So on the contrary, I think this could be great news for RE developers. More interest. More customers. More possibilities!

shropshirelad

28 Apr 2017

eXode wrote:Reason 10 (or X) seriously needs device zoom or some sort of HD resolutions for the rack. That should be #1 priority IMHO. A dark theme for the SSL mixer would be pretty darn sweet too. :)
Agree completely about the zoom - really is frequently requested feature and one that many VST's do beautifully i.e. Spire

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Chizmata wrote:
as said i didnt like 9 from the start and im closer to downgrading to 5 or 6 than upgrading at any point :lol:
You're a crazy man!! Haha, hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Like your tunes btw, especially the dark techno stuff. I'm in love with Cyberpunk right now and some of your stuff puts me in mind of that. I guess if you can already make what you want with what you have, keep doing that. Newer isn't better for everyone.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Holy sh*t guys it works. It's real. And it's awesome.

stratatonic

28 Apr 2017

zumBeispiel wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:
zumBeispiel wrote:As the Emi, not for Reason Essentials, right?
Last edited by stratatonic on 29 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

friday

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Holy sh*t guys it works. It's real. And it's awesome.
He Chimp Spanner , can you post pictures with the manual delay compensation built in to the mixer, please???
Last edited by friday on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

danc

28 Apr 2017

One thing I've been awaiting in Reason for a long time is a much more advanced sampler - beyond NN-XT which has served me well, but always feel like I'm fighting it rather than working with it (especially on the splitting up of samples across the keyboard). VST could be my route to making this happen. There are plenty of really strong and well-supported VST sample players/editors to choose from.
Check my Soundcloud:

Marc Swing

28 Apr 2017

danc wrote:One thing I've been awaiting in Reason for a long time is a much more advanced sampler - beyond NN-XT which has served me well, but always feel like I'm fighting it rather than working with it (especially on the splitting up of samples across the keyboard). VST could be my route to making this happen. There are plenty of really strong and well-supported VST sample players/editors to choose from.
Yes same here! any suggestions of a good vst sampler?

Electric-Metal

28 Apr 2017

Damn, had goosebumps all over when I watched the vid. :puf_bigsmile:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

danc

28 Apr 2017

Directwave... Kontakt... MOTU MachFive... UVI Falcon... TAL... AIR Music Technology Structure... 112dB Morgana... DiscoDSP Bliss... the list is nearly endless. All have their strong points... demo them and decide.
Check my Soundcloud:

Chizmata

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
You're a crazy man!! Haha, hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Like your tunes btw, especially the dark techno stuff. I'm in love with Cyberpunk right now and some of your stuff puts me in mind of that. I guess if you can already make what you want with what you have, keep doing that. Newer isn't better for everyone.
yes and thx a lot! in germany we have a saying "hinten kackt die ente" if you can make a sense of it :lol: . just sad because the reason i wish doesnt exist...

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

Something just occurred to me, is the delay compensation only gonna be applicable to the VST's through the new Plug-In Device, so what I'm saying is, is Delay Compensation not gonna be applicable to Re's or stock devices in the rack?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

friday wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Holy sh*t guys it works. It's real. And it's awesome.
He Chimp Spanner , can you post pictures with the manual delay compensation built in to the mixer, please???
I'm just waiting to hear if it's okay to release pictures but I can tell you it does exist!

Delay compensation is available for *all* devices, stock, RE and VST.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

Marc Swing wrote:
danc wrote:One thing I've been awaiting in Reason for a long time is a much more advanced sampler - beyond NN-XT which has served me well, but always feel like I'm fighting it rather than working with it (especially on the splitting up of samples across the keyboard). VST could be my route to making this happen. There are plenty of really strong and well-supported VST sample players/editors to choose from.
it has a pig of an interface but TX16Wx is probably the best freeware sampler you can download right now. it also has a premium version with some additional features. it depends what you're looking for though.
Last edited by zakalwe on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

Marc Swing wrote:
Not saying I've used any of these but there's Izotope Iris, TAL Sampler, UVI Falcon and Kontakt.

There's also some free ones listed here:-

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/4-o ... ins-616807
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information