Soooo ... what is there left to complain about (2019) ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

25 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
25 Apr 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
25 Apr 2019

I don't know how common 32-bit samples are. Virtually every library I've bought (or worked on) has been 48/24. Sometimes 96/24. Not saying there's no use for them at all. It's just relatively uncommon, in my experience at least.
Reason does support loading 32-bit floating point audio tracks and samples. But what Reason lacks is the ability to export 32-bit audio. So you can't round-trip 32-bit in, 32-bit out.

But perhaps even worse is when you bounce clips to new samples you don't even get 24-bit audio, the samples will be 16-bit. This makes no sense to me at all, because Reason is fully 32-bit internally. The sampler can load 32-bit audio, so that's not the problem. You can bounce the clips to disk, and export them as 24-bit (still no 32-bit, see above), and then re-import them as samples, and they'll work. No reason for it to be this way at all.
Yeah bouncing clips to samples at 16-bit is kind of dumb. It should be an option at least. 32-bit export isn't really on the wishlist for me. Any time I send away for mastering they always, always want 24-bit. But yeah I mean, ideally these should all be options. If it can do 32-bit internally I'd expect it to be able to export at everything up to that, even if in reality I'd only be using 24.

Enterface

25 Apr 2019

Bring in Microsoft Clippy to help with tool tips for new users. Also clippy should pop up periodically asking if you need assistance with your mix. :lol:

ShawnG

25 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
25 Apr 2019
ShawnG wrote:
24 Apr 2019

Bandwidth and server capacity still cost money, and you still aren’t gonna want to pay more than you have to. Everything is compressed data, not just audio. Consumers don’t care enough about the differences to want to deal with either a higher price, or a reduction in choice.
So, instead of agreeing that we "should" be at a higher level here, corporate greed is still "A number one" .......... fine. Bye.
Wow.

Guess I just got consigned to the role of "the Man". get as cranky as you want to be about it, I am more than happy to fight the power, stick it to the corporate suits etc... But If I'm fighting that fight, I'm doing it to stick up for the recording artists that are being screwed by the streaming services' paltry royalty rates, and not because they don't provide access to all the digital bits that the engineer of the track filtered out anyway. Today's compressed audio formats are fine, for playback purposes and for the listening habits of 98 percent of the population. I'm happy to pay higher rates if the artists are getting their share (Although I'm in the minority on that point as well). I'm not cool with having that dosh spent on making a few audiophiles happy.

ShawnG

25 Apr 2019

Enterface wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Bring in Microsoft Clippy to help with tool tips for new users. Also clippy should pop up periodically asking if you need assistance with your mix. :lol:
Nah that’s what izotope is for

Matt9

26 Apr 2019

My main complaint is the fact that changing the pitch of an audio clip when stretch is disabled does not allow the length of the waveform to naturally follow as physics normally dictates. This is not a true disabling of stretch. If you change the pitch of an audio clip and it remains the same length then some form of "stretch" audio processing is happening. What's more frustrating is that the person at Propellerhead who responded to my emails about this did not really understand what I was talking about. They simply suggested manipulating the audio in one of Reason's samplers, completely missing my point. Apart from the logical incongruency of that part of the software, I also desire this behavior because of my own particular workflow preferences. If Reason would simply do this one thing correctly it would add about 50% more value to me. Maybe more.

boingy

26 Apr 2019

The fact is that MP3 is real, universal and hugely popular. Most Reason users are not pro-musicians, making (or trying to make) a living from their work. Most just make music for fun and MP3 is by far the most common for uploading, downloading, emailing and sharing. Reason should reflect that, especially as the patents on MP3 have now expired.

And most other DAWs can export to MP3. Are they all wrong?

But, yes! Bring back Clippy. I miss that little guy.

Heigen5

26 Apr 2019

avasopht wrote:
18 Apr 2019
[*] Reason sound
What? :o

Seriously, what?

Loque

26 Apr 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Apr 2019
That is really scary...
Reason12, Win10

Heigen5

26 Apr 2019

Anyway, if Reason had a sound and not anymore than there should be a "switch soundengine button" for the old projects.

Heigen5

26 Apr 2019

Even though I believe I've had a bad "head-engine" and that's why I ever had any doupts.

ShawnG

26 Apr 2019

Reason sound was simply tons of kiddies using pirated copies of Reason 5 and earlier, and never using anything but patches from the default reason soundbank. Make a track with pre version 6 reason devices and default presets, and you too can have reason sound.

reggie1979

26 Apr 2019

Oh my, the "my daw sounds better" wars. Cassettes are way better, or VHS tape.

reggie1979

26 Apr 2019

ShawnG wrote:
25 Apr 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
25 Apr 2019

So, instead of agreeing that we "should" be at a higher level here, corporate greed is still "A number one" .......... fine. Bye.
Wow.

Guess I just got consigned to the role of "the Man". get as cranky as you want to be about it, I am more than happy to fight the power, stick it to the corporate suits etc... But If I'm fighting that fight, I'm doing it to stick up for the recording artists that are being screwed by the streaming services' paltry royalty rates, and not because they don't provide access to all the digital bits that the engineer of the track filtered out anyway. Today's compressed audio formats are fine, for playback purposes and for the listening habits of 98 percent of the population. I'm happy to pay higher rates if the artists are getting their share (Although I'm in the minority on that point as well). I'm not cool with having that dosh spent on making a few audiophiles happy.
I may have been a bit snippy but consider this: I'm interested in sound quality that is better than the MP3's I used to download before the RIAA started suing kids grandmothers. I think after 20 years, it's fair ;)

ShawnG

27 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
26 Apr 2019
ShawnG wrote:
25 Apr 2019
Wow.

I may have been a bit snippy but consider this: I'm interested in sound quality that is better than the MP3's I used to download before the RIAA started suing kids grandmothers. I think after 20 years, it's fair ;)
Sure, who wouldn't be? The sort of Mp3 we all used back then so that our barely better than dial up connections could handle, is nowhere near the quality of an Mp3 we would use today. If you got serious audiophile gear and a well tuned environment maybe it matters (and even then I'd like to see someone who can tell a high bit rate lossy, from a lossless or CD blind; not saying that isn't possible, but most of us don't have those sorts of ears)

either way, it's all good, rock on :thumbs_up:

reggie1979

27 Apr 2019

What else I want, I this seems like it should be pretty easy to code, is a "save to template" command. It's a first world problem but it seems so silly that it's not there.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2019

Yep. Back to it. Export to mp3. That’s the only thing I want. Easily pleased?

Edit: I was totally convinced that Reason had this in an earlier release. Or Record maybe? Maybe I dreamt it though.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

27 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Apr 2019
Yep. Back to it. Export to mp3. That’s the only thing I want. Easily pleased?

Edit: I was totally convinced that Reason had this in an earlier release. Or Record maybe? Maybe I dreamt it though.
It did not have it and does not really need it... export to FLAC or ogg on the other hand would be great. ;)

guitfnky

27 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
27 Apr 2019
What else I want, I this seems like it should be pretty easy to code, is a "save to template" command. It's a first world problem but it seems so silly that it's not there.
like save a song file as a template that you can pull up later when you’re starting something new?

if that’s what you mean, it’s already in there. I start all my songs from templates.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

reggie1979

27 Apr 2019

guitfnky wrote:
27 Apr 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
27 Apr 2019
like save a song file as a template that you can pull up later when you’re starting something new?

if that’s what you mean, it’s already in there. I start all my songs from templates.
Of course, but there are "templates" ... so why do you have to save them as a song, drag them into the template folder and then use it that way? Why not simply have a "save to template" that takes you to the folder that already exists ;)

anDre

28 Apr 2019

Matt9 wrote:
26 Apr 2019
My main complaint is the fact that changing the pitch of an audio clip when stretch is disabled does not allow the length of the waveform to naturally follow as physics normally dictates. This is not a true disabling of stretch. If you change the pitch of an audio clip and it remains the same length then some form of "stretch" audio processing is happening.
:thumbs_up:

I always thought that this must be a bug, i still hope it will be fixed with a future update.

This plus the ability to enter values numerically for all knobs and faders.

guitfnky

28 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
27 Apr 2019
guitfnky wrote:
27 Apr 2019

Of course, but there are "templates" ... so why do you have to save them as a song, drag them into the template folder and then use it that way? Why not simply have a "save to template" that takes you to the folder that already exists ;)
ah, gotcha, didn’t realize the complaint was about how it works, not that it’s not there. yeah, I agree they could make it a lot easier. I always have to dig around when I have something new I want to save as a template. 👍🏼
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

stratatonic

30 Apr 2019

I'd like to complain about lack of:
Folders
Markers
MP3 Export
MIDI takes
Previewing Waveforms in Browser viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7503499

Throw that in R11 and I'll be happy to upgrade from R8 and buy some newer updated REs.

scratchnsnifff

30 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Someone is going to chime in about video support but for me personally I'd like to see sequencer and audio editing improvements. Other than that I'm really liking things. It is definitely a good time to be a Reason user. And what Diminished mentioned.
I am with you. But on the other hand...where videos getting more and more important...But Videos are another field of software and not Reason.
i have no use for video myself.
but i wonder if its possible to just sync the clock of reason to some video editing software?
so that way people can still use all of reason, while being able to have synchronized audio playing accordingly
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

mashers

30 Apr 2019

Personally I would prefer if Reason did not add video support natively, as this is a feature which I would not use but which I imagine would make the programme rather more complex. Personally I think the best solution would be a Rack Extension which added video sync support, with maybe some extra hooks into Reason's clock to keep everything in sync. That way people who want to use video sync can do so, but without enlarging the code base for people who will never use the feature.

xbitz

30 Apr 2019

inbuilt combinator backdrop browser would be handy ... https://www.reasonistas.com/combinator-backdrops
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

• Information