Reason 9 live streams by Propellerhead

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Yonatan

03 Jun 2016

A link to Twitch or Youtube is also easy to share on Facebook and can be liked. People can also comment on that link.
Dont know which platform has best chat. One bad thing about FB is the same thing just mentioned as good, namely
that your friends get my comments in their feed, and me personally prefer to be a bit more private in livestream chat.
But others might not care about such integrity. But its ok for me to just watch it.

I could not view any livestream window at all on my mobile on FB, but maybe others did manage that?

Its ok if there is a bit of trial and error before you find that which overall works best. Try some different and see what feels best.

joeyluck

03 Jun 2016

Yonatan wrote:A link to Twitch or Youtube is also easy to share on Facebook and can be liked. People can also comment on that link.
Dont know which platform has best chat. One bad thing about FB is the same thing just mentioned as good, namely
that your friends get my comments in their feed, and me personally prefer to be a bit more private in livestream chat.
But others might not care about such integrity. But its ok for me to just watch it.

I could not view any livestream window at all on my mobile on FB, but maybe others did manage that?

Its ok if there is a bit of trial and error before you find that which overall works best. Try some different and see what feels best.
I use my artist page to comment on streams. I can select who I'm posting as. You could create a page and do the same?

Yonatan

03 Jun 2016

Good tip Joey. Will indeed create a new profile for music.

Zerosity

03 Jun 2016

ryanharlin wrote:
Yeah youtube and twitch are our other contenders. But people still tend to live on Facebook all day long so the ability to catch people's attention is highly tempting. But for the tutorials, since they publish to Youtube then doing the stream via Youtube makes sense. But Twitch is also a really cool platform and might be a cool way to connect to new people. Not sure. But I'm considering all options.
There are video splitters available that will allow you to split your video to multiple stream providers (https://www.xsplit.com/). So if your upload bandwidth can handle it, you could stream to FB, YouTube, and Twitch all at once.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

04 Jun 2016

Yonatan wrote:I could not view any livestream window at all on my mobile on FB, but maybe others did manage that?
If you run the FB app on your mobile, streaming works. If you load the FB website on your mobile's browser, streaming doesn't.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

04 Jun 2016

Zerosity wrote:There are video splitters available that will allow you to split your video to multiple stream providers (https://www.xsplit.com/). So if your upload bandwidth can handle it, you could stream to FB, YouTube, and Twitch all at once.
That's very interesting. I had looked into that for FB/YT simultaneous streaming but the software I'm using (Wirecast) says FB doesn't allow it. But maybe YT/Twitch down the road is a good way to go. For the last stream we do about R9 features we'll stick to Facebook.

craste

05 Jun 2016

For the next video where you concentrate on sounds, can you put together a little house track using the "house" sounds and show us how fast you can get a track started by using the new players, then do another style of track for the non-house heads!

I'd love a video where Ryan Harlin creates a house track and shows us how to create drops, tension etc!

Possibly one for the future?

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

05 Jun 2016

craste wrote:For the next video where you concentrate on sounds, can you put together a little house track using the "house" sounds and show us how fast you can get a track started by using the new players, then do another style of track for the non-house heads!

I'd love a video where Ryan Harlin creates a house track and shows us how to create drops, tension etc!

I'll speak with Mattias on Tuesday and we'll come up with our game plan... we want to show the soundbank and probably some other things too. I'm not sure we'll build a house track in that stream, though. But your question raises an interesting point because some people commented during the last stream "The best thing about these examples is they aren't EDM" and on the first stream some people commented "These players make getting music started too easy." Here your question perfectly encapsulates the counter viewpoint that showing how you can get EDM ideas started quickly with players is something other people like.

I'm a middle child in my family. I want to please both sides and I simply CAN'T!! :shock: :lol:

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

05 Jun 2016

It's also like the people that say "these streams are too long! get to the point!" and people that say "Thanks for taking the time to talk in depth about this stuff." Can't please everyone.

But I'll say this: I'll be making more traditional tutorials about this stuff. In fact, I'm incredibly excited to cover one topic that I've wanted to teach for YEARS but haven't had a good tool to help teach it before. And now Scales & Chords has made it possible... or at least I think.

craste

05 Jun 2016

ryanharlin wrote:
craste wrote:For the next video where you concentrate on sounds, can you put together a little house track using the "house" sounds and show us how fast you can get a track started by using the new players, then do another style of track for the non-house heads!

I'll speak with Mattias on Tuesday and we'll come up with our game plan... we want to show the soundbank and probably some other things too. I'm not sure we'll build a house track in that stream, though. But your question raises an interesting point because some people commented during the last stream "The best thing about these examples is they aren't EDM" and on the first stream some people commented "These players make getting music started too easy." Here your question perfectly encapsulates the counter viewpoint that showing how you can get EDM ideas started quickly with players is something other people like.

I'm a middle child in my family. I want to please both sides and I simply CAN'T!! :shock: :lol:
Thanks for the reply Ryan!

The thing which gets me frustrated is making the breakdowns and drops in house music, so that when the beat drops back in the crowd go mental! How to build it up so the crowd go into a frenzy when the beats drop in!

I would love to see some tutorials on how to do that. Things like snare rolls, and how to program nice bouncy hats etc!

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in with the scales and cords player as I have not got the time or inclination to learn how to play the keyboard so that will really help me.

Look forward to watching the video again on Wednesday (NOT THURSDAY! :puf_smile:

pushedbutton

05 Jun 2016

Personally I love it all, even the stuff I have no interest in listening to in the car. Everyone would learn a lot by looking into the evolution of music and asking stupid questions like 'what would gregorian monks have done with an 808?' or 'what if mozart had a sampler?' or even 'what would calvin harris have recorded if he was around in the 70s?.
I find being creative most productive when i set parameters to create a concept.

If someone made a mythbusters style tv show that deconstructed a song and took a look at the fashions, culture and technology that the music came from I'd be edutaied, but perhaps that will take more than a couple of days to plan.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

05 Jun 2016

craste wrote:The thing which gets me frustrated is making the breakdowns and drops in house music, so that when the beat drops back in the crowd go mental! How to build it up so the crowd go into a frenzy when the beats drop in!
Have you ever seen the artist interview I shot with DJ Lucky Date? He gave a tutorial on a cool way to make a Thor sound that rises and rises with pitch dives throughout. It's a perfect buildup technique that does indeed make the crowd go mental.

craste

05 Jun 2016

ryanharlin wrote:
craste wrote:The thing which gets me frustrated is making the breakdowns and drops in house music, so that when the beat drops back in the crowd go mental! How to build it up so the crowd go into a frenzy when the beats drop in!
Have you ever seen the artist interview I shot with DJ Lucky Date? He gave a tutorial on a cool way to make a Thor sound that rises and rises with pitch dives throughout. It's a perfect buildup technique that does indeed make the crowd go mental.

Cheers Ryan, I have actually seen this and will have to watch it again. :puf_smile:

Have you got any future DJ/producer interviews lined up? These are fantastic to watch and they must really help with your marketing and sales.

Jagwah

07 Jun 2016

I was really hoping the last stream would go up on Youtube like the one before it but I'm beginning to think it's not going to happen :(

joeyluck

07 Jun 2016

Jagwah wrote:I was really hoping the last stream would go up on Youtube like the one before it but I'm beginning to think it's not going to happen :(
Well it's viewable by everybody via Facebook. And you don't have to be logged in to view it.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

07 Jun 2016

Jagwah wrote:I was really hoping the last stream would go up on Youtube like the one before it but I'm beginning to think it's not going to happen :(
It's going to happen but since the first part of the stream had technical glitches that caused us to restart the stream after rebooting and unhooking some of my crazy technology, I'm going to record a little intro for it and then get onto the part where Mattias and I chat. But... like this girl says...

But I'll get to it probably tomorrow.

Jagwah

07 Jun 2016

ryanharlin wrote:It's going to happen but since the first part of the stream had technical glitches that caused us to restart the stream after rebooting and unhooking some of my crazy technology, I'm going to record a little intro for it and then get onto the part where Mattias and I chat. But... like this girl says...

But I'll get to it probably tomorrow.
Lol @ the video. It's fine dude as long as the intention is to put it up on Youtube it doesn't matter when it gets there.

This new talking to us thing is really nice :P

Yonatan

08 Jun 2016

Streaming today...looking forward to last part of this triology. Wonder what magic Gandalf will show us this time. Will put on my 3D glasses.

buddard
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

craste wrote: The thing which gets me frustrated is making the breakdowns and drops in house music, so that when the beat drops back in the crowd go mental! How to build it up so the crowd go into a frenzy when the beats drop in!

Exowildebeest

08 Jun 2016

"Can't hug every cat."
"Is that a Swedish saying?"
"It's an... internet thing..."

:lol:

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Jun 2016

Is it over yet?

pushedbutton

08 Jun 2016

well that was nice. :)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Yonatan

08 Jun 2016

Nice to get to see Ernst at the end too. He´s a good guy.

bitley

08 Jun 2016

Must. Get. Reason 9.

• Information