Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
buddard
RE Developer

14 Jun 2024

tiker01 wrote:
14 Jun 2024
buddard wrote:
13 Jun 2024

You can still detach the Rack and Mixer, either via the Window menu or by Cmd/Ctrl-clicking the corresponding button in the tool bar. It's just the old buttons in the area dividers that have been removed.
I miss them too. Despite Shortcuts still work, it would be great to have a modifier+Click option to be able to detach any given sections!
Well, as I mentioned above, if you hold Cmd/Ctrl and click on the Rack or Mixer button in Reason 13, you will detach/reattach the respective section. That is a modifier + click option, right? Or perhaps I misunderstood you?

Carpainter

14 Jun 2024

Reason's UI has been getting more confusing over the years, and this update just adds to the confusion. I recently booted up Reason 4 and I almost forgot how much simpler it was back then. At this point, I'd just like to be able to disable most of what they've added since then.

Loque

14 Jun 2024

Carpainter wrote:
14 Jun 2024
Reason's UI has been getting more confusing over the years, and this update just adds to the confusion. I recently booted up Reason 4 and I almost forgot how much simpler it was back then. At this point, I'd just like to be able to disable most of what they've added since then.
More features, more complexity, more confusion.
Reason12, Win10

svenh

14 Jun 2024

I was a regular Reason user a decade or so ago, and wanted to enter it again a couple of times since then.

Some of the things that have prevented me (i.e. made it less fun) when trying, is not finding the kind of sounds that I need and not liking the workflow for creating and editing midi. The announced changes have made me a bit excited - definitely looking forward to try v 13!

(And as always, the new Reason Studios devices look tasty!)

chaosroyale

14 Jun 2024

Here's an idea for the device window: seems like everyone wants a "favorites" option for devices, which I heartily second. I would also like a "hide" option, because there are so many devices to scroll through and it can be a workflow killer.

So, how about adding buttons in the device browser to each device to toggle "favorite" and "hide" options, which puts them into either: a pinned top-level "favorites" category, or a minimized (so you can open it and un-hide them if you want) "hidden" folder right at the bottom of the device browser display. It would hugely clean up the device window and make browsing much faster. Also allow users to do this for VSTs, naturally.

Imagine having only the devices you actually use, right there, in a hierarchical order decided by you. I think that would be a real time saver and workflow enhancer.

SoundFactor

14 Jun 2024

Why is there no list of new features for Reason 13? There seems to be a lot of confusion of what is included with Reason 13 including whether VSTs have Midi out.

kitekrazy

14 Jun 2024

$129 or less, otherwise =pass. Pricey for a DAW upgrade not name Live Suite or Samplitued. Oh wait I don't think my Suite upgrade was over $199.

altron

14 Jun 2024

Really looking forward to this! Thanks for the love for the Reason sequencer! Does anyone know what the upgrade from Reason 12 will cost?
Trap is where music goes to die.

robussc

14 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
14 Jun 2024
How do you create favorite folders with this approach, which is what made the previous feature so useful for me?
yeah, that’s more tricky, but favorites combined with the filtering already available (compressors, samplers, etc) would surely get 90% there unless I’m not getting how you group things?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

robussc

14 Jun 2024

svenh wrote:
14 Jun 2024
Some of the things that have prevented me (i.e. made it less fun) when trying, is not finding the kind of sounds that I need
i also struggled with that until I took a weekend devoted to curating the sounds I like from all the various synths into an easily navigable collection of folders. Now when I go looking for basses I’ve already got a list of ones I know I like.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2024

robussc wrote:
14 Jun 2024
selig wrote:
14 Jun 2024
How do you create favorite folders with this approach, which is what made the previous feature so useful for me?
yeah, that’s more tricky, but favorites combined with the filtering already available (compressors, samplers, etc) would surely get 90% there unless I’m not getting how you group things?
For starters, I made my own Instrument/Effects/Utilities/Players folders,, and also occasionally have a folder for a specific project that may cross over several song files and need similar devices. This can be for musical or for testing purposes, so not always something everyone would need!
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

14 Jun 2024

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Jun 2024
I've been using Pump in send mode for sidechain compression for ages now. It's so good and I'm surprised it isn't a more common technique. No messing around with audio cabling or parallel channels or muted kicks. I just run a gate out from my drum machine of choice and trigger the envelope that way. Reason's Sidechain has a lot more controls and does high/low band too so I'll most certainly be using it for that.
I've used Pump in send mode for years, the only thing I do different is use a matrix on it for the triggers ;)

EnochLight

14 Jun 2024

TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Jun 2024
MattiasHG wrote:
13 Jun 2024
Any plans to add the favorite list function for devices back?
That's kind of dealbreaker for me here.
Polytone and Ripley, both look like really fun devices. But I just can't let go of my favorite list workflow.
It's really not that big of a deal - all you need to do is save 1 of your favorite presets from said device under a Favorite... and bam - your favorite device list is still accessible. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Chi-Individual

14 Jun 2024

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2024
TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Jun 2024

Polytone and Ripley, both look like really fun devices. But I just can't let go of my favorite list workflow.
It's really not that big of a deal - all you need to do is save 1 of your favorite presets from said device under a Favorite... and bam - your favorite device list is still accessible. :thumbup:
There are still devices that can’t be recalled because they don’t have patches like that Synapse Audio FX(DR1, VE-3 and AF4 for example)

cocoazenith

15 Jun 2024

altron wrote:
14 Jun 2024
Really looking forward to this! Thanks for the love for the Reason sequencer! Does anyone know what the upgrade from Reason 12 will cost?
Please don't say love, because...
the sequencer per se did not change at all.

Elements related to it were demoted though. The piano roll window was reduced to the bottom of the screen and the tool bar has been removed only to occupy thrice the screen space and be placed left side of the piano roll.

Maybe the sample editor did change for the better but that's debatable as well. I like how in Reason you edit directly in the sequencer. No need for a separate area at the bottom of the screen like in Logic.

But no changes to how you manage clips, to automation, to how insert automation relates to the parent track in the sequencer, freeze tracks, group tracks, hide tracks, a keyboard+mouse combo for showing a vst window when clicking on its sequencer icon without calling up the rack.

So no, the sequencer, the area where you arrange clips on a timeline, DID NOT CHANGE AT ALL.

Pralijah

15 Jun 2024

Wow, Reason got deal for students. Not me, but good move to reach the youngsters out there.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/school
Make music shake again!

Yonatan

15 Jun 2024

After I have seen the videos so far, I must say I am really looking forward to trying the R13 workflow. I know some things might feel a bit counter intuitive at first if used to the previous Seq and Browser, but from what I have seen, I am ready to change those habits. I think I will like the new workflow, from what I seen. R12 already feels outdated when I get fullscreen in the Sequencer everytime and I already wish I had the sidetools at hands and could see the main sequencer.

Globi

15 Jun 2024

Why it‘s not already June 18th? 😵🤓😎

Neo

15 Jun 2024

chaosroyale wrote:
14 Jun 2024
Here's an idea for the device window: seems like everyone wants a "favorites" option for devices, which I heartily second. I would also like a "hide" option, because there are so many devices to scroll through and it can be a workflow killer.

So, how about adding buttons in the device browser to each device to toggle "favorite" and "hide" options, which puts them into either: a pinned top-level "favorites" category, or a minimized (so you can open it and un-hide them if you want) "hidden" folder right at the bottom of the device browser display. It would hugely clean up the device window and make browsing much faster. Also allow users to do this for VSTs, naturally.

Imagine having only the devices you actually use, right there, in a hierarchical order decided by you. I think that would be a real time saver and workflow enhancer.
+199
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

selig
RE Developer

15 Jun 2024

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2024
TritoneAddiction wrote:
13 Jun 2024

Except for VSTs and REs without a patch browser. What about a VST like Kontakt, I wouldn't want to open the same patch every time (even if I could), I want to open the empty browser like I do now…
Selig Audio, LLC

Dabbler

15 Jun 2024

Sorry friends for asking a dumb one.

Will Reason 13 show up in the DAW like all the other updates?

Peace brothers and sisters :)

EnochLight

15 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
15 Jun 2024

Except for VSTs and REs without a patch browser. What about a VST like Kontakt, I wouldn't want to open the same patch every time (even if I could), I want to open the empty browser like I do now…
Well, then there’s that. Lol
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

15 Jun 2024

Dabbler wrote:
15 Jun 2024
Sorry friends for asking a dumb one.

Will Reason 13 show up in the DAW like all the other updates?

Peace brothers and sisters :)
If you’re asking if 13 will be an “auto-update” in 12, the answer is no. All major versions always require a separate download & install so you can optionally keep previous versions installed.

Dabbler

15 Jun 2024

Thanks EnochLight

EnochLight

15 Jun 2024

No worries!

• Information