Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Carpainter

10 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
10 Jun 2024
Carpainter wrote:
10 Jun 2024

I mostly agree, but sometimes you just want to flex your muscles with a huge-sounding patch. I'm withholding judgement on Polytone until I try it, but that video wasn't a very impressive showcase.
Indeed, and I would reach for other synths for that job, like Europa or Thor in Reason, Massive or Pigments or others in the VST world. The bread and butter sounds never sound “impressive” when you hit solo on a mix in my experience.
Are you able to talk about how Polytone compares to other virtual analog synths or are you under an NDA?

QVprod

10 Jun 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
10 Jun 2024
Carpainter wrote:
10 Jun 2024
Maybe this is a classic case of crappy Reason presets, but Polytone isn't knocking my socks off.
It's very basic synth with nothing innovative and interesting, even Subtractor is more capable than this.
It is indeed a fairly basic synth but take another look. I wouldn’t say Subtractor is more capable. I’d actually say this is probably the closest we’ll get to a Subtractor 2 minus the additional numbered waveforms most of us likely don’t use.

mimidancer

10 Jun 2024

QVprod wrote:
10 Jun 2024
dusan.cani wrote:
10 Jun 2024

It's very basic synth with nothing innovative and interesting, even Subtractor is more capable than this.
It is indeed a fairly basic synth but take another look. I wouldn’t say Subtractor is more capable. I’d actually say this is probably the closest we’ll get to a Subtractor 2 minus the additional numbered waveforms most of us likely don’t use.
I agree with you. being able to morph sounds and filters will give great movement to users who are into sound design. There is no pleasing the haters on this board.

satyr32

10 Jun 2024

mimidancer wrote:
10 Jun 2024

I agree with you. being able to morph sounds and filters will give great movement to users who are into sound design. There is no pleasing the haters on this board.
I think it looks and sounds good. But isnt it a bit of a missed chance to not allow separate patches for A/B. I mean that is the first thing you think of if you implement such a morph feature. I hope it will come later in a point version.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

mimidancer

10 Jun 2024

satyr32 wrote:
10 Jun 2024
mimidancer wrote:
10 Jun 2024

I think it looks and sounds good. But isnt it a bit of a missed chance to not allow separate patches for A/B. I mean that is the first thing you think of if you implement such a morph feature. I hope it will come later in a point version.
I can see that as being useful. I dial everything in for the session. My devices are set to init when I load them. But if you have two patches you like your idea would be cool.

SebAudio

10 Jun 2024

selig wrote:
10 Jun 2024
This isn’t the type of synth to knock off socks. It’s a sensible pair of shoes that is super comfortable to wear all day and go on long walks, not some flashy/expensive shoes designed to impress (but may be super uncomfortable to actually wear).
You mean Blue Suede Shoes ? :lol:

Aftrshok70

10 Jun 2024

Just got back into using Reason and for whatever reason I come up with more song ideas as well as completed songs using Reason over any other DAW I have. (Bitwig, Cubase and a few others that I have shelved). I've used Reason off and on since R1, I'm looking forward to Reason 13. I tend to use Reason as a DAW instead of RRP in another DAW.

mimidancer

10 Jun 2024

Aftrshok70 wrote:
10 Jun 2024
Just got back into using Reason and for whatever reason I come up with more song ideas as well as completed songs using Reason over any other DAW I have. (Bitwig, Cubase and a few others that I have shelved). I've used Reason off and on since R1, I'm looking forward to Reason 13. I tend to use Reason as a DAW instead of RRP in another DAW.
I agree that it is easy to get inspired using reason.

Billy+

10 Jun 2024

mimidancer wrote:
10 Jun 2024
I agree that it is easy to get inspired using reason.
I tend to agree with this as well, I jumped over to Live as I was fed of with waiting for VST Midi support in Reason an even though I was the Reason rack in Live it's just not the same as having the Rack in Reason, sounds silly but it's just some much easier to get inspired inside the real daw rather than the plugin.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Jun 2024

Aftrshok70 wrote:
10 Jun 2024
Definitely. Reason standalone is such an inspiring environment!

Barriott

10 Jun 2024

Is the upgrade £200!!?

Pepin

11 Jun 2024

I think Polytone fills a pretty obvious gap in Reason's stock synths.
If a beginner asked you how to learn synthesis in Reason, you'd previously be pointing them to an ancient synth with tiny controls, significant aliasing, no sub oscillator, no built-in effects, opaque values (0-127), mysteriously numbered waveforms, etc.

Subtractor has its appeal and unique features, but it's really not the standard VA you'd expect to find in a DAW in 2024.

Overall, Polytone provides a modern entry point to synthesis that Reason lacked until now.

Of course it still has interesting features for experienced users too (age, morph, 4 oscillators, etc.).

Yonatan

11 Jun 2024

R13 seem to be about some bread and butter breakfast. Adding some basic stuff, filling some gaps left since long.
If they got some very cool device in the cooking, they will probably add it as paid add on for the Reason+ crowd later. No bells and whistles here. The delay unit is welcomed. I like the simplicity of the synth. Stereo tool seem handy, side-chain tool I welcome and better browser and sequencer update. I never paid €199 for upgrade and no chance in the world I would pay full price for an upgrade like this, at least 50% off. If video sync and live-clip type of function, plus the above, then surely would pay full price.

Yonatan

11 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
11 Jun 2024
I think Polytone fills a pretty obvious gap in Reason's stock synths.
If a beginner asked you how to learn synthesis in Reason, you'd previously be pointing them to an ancient synth with tiny controls, significant aliasing, no sub oscillator, no built-in effects, opaque values (0-127), mysteriously numbered waveforms, etc.

Subtractor has its appeal and unique features, but it's really not the standard VA you'd expect to find in a DAW in 2024.

Overall, Polytone provides a modern entry point to synthesis that Reason lacked until now.

Of course it still has interesting features for experienced users too (age, morph, 4 oscillators, etc.).
100% yes, this is so true. This synth was missing.

tewoc

11 Jun 2024

Can you do this A <-> B Morph thing with a combinator, too?

Loque

11 Jun 2024

tewoc wrote:
11 Jun 2024
I would be surprised if not. At least you can assign it to the Modwheel which can be controlled from a Combinator.
Reason12, Win10

Pepin

11 Jun 2024

tewoc wrote:
11 Jun 2024
If you're asking whether you can recreate the Morph behavior using the Combinator on other synths, the answer heavily depends on which synth and which parameters. But it won't be a very pleasant experience since you'll be doing all your patch programming in the Combinator programmer interface.

bieh

11 Jun 2024

turn2on wrote:
02 May 2024
Good to know, what now with Rack & Mixer windows Detach (new windows for additional displays)?
Does I right understand, that they still possible to detach, and only Sequencer that we previously can cut or save in main window, now work as double-view of Sequencer & Edit?

And if yes, does it possible to drag border for only Seq/Edit as 0:100% (full space)?
This is related to my biggest question. I love using Ctrl+E to open the sequencer to full height, and again to close it and see the main project view again. I'm hoping that will still be possible. As a user of Cubase as well, I find the Cubase approach more convoluted, given that the only full-height sequencer view options involving EITHER opening a floating window that then has to be closed with a key command separate from the one that opened it, OR closing the full-height view to a split-screen view, requiring the Lower Zone sequencer view itself to then be closed if you want to see the main project view at full height. It's still fast, but it's an unnecessary extra key or an extra step. Cubase may be seen as the kind of MIDI editing, but I still find the current Reason sequencer more natural to use.

Aosta

11 Jun 2024

Well seems we are getting a walkthrough on all the devices, delay anyone? :thumbup:

Tend the flame

bieh

11 Jun 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
03 May 2024
Another example of workflow flaw which is unnoticed or ignored for years:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509926

And solution / fix would be very easy, as discussed in the dedicated thread.

note-editing.jpg
A shortcut for "select note behind" would be useful, but if the note lengths are offset at all, I don't find it a problem because Ctrl+Shift+Mousewheel can very quickly do the zoom you need to access the note, without even having to move hands between the mouse and keyboard.

bieh

11 Jun 2024

iTrensharo wrote:
11 May 2024

Mixer Changes? To make things make sense like setting Mute or Solo in Sequencer being mirrored properly in the Mixer?
"Mirrored properly"? I see the independence of muting and soloing between the sequencer and mixer as a feature, not a bug. Sequencer instruments and mixer channels are not a 1:1 correlation - there are parallel channels, group busses, and mute and solo mixer automation to take into account.

bieh

11 Jun 2024

EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2024
I bought Omnisphere and promptly returned it for a full refund after spending a solid week with it.
This is refreshing to hear. As someone who already had too many synths as a Reason-only user before Reason VST support, I often hear hype about Omnisphere, but rarely come across any synth that seems to offer anything so different that it justifies buying yet another synth - especially one that costs so much.

joeyluck

11 Jun 2024

tewoc wrote:
11 Jun 2024
This is a bit of work to get up and running—getting CV cables connected and then dialing in snapshots, but after that, it's really cool :thumbup:
Would love to see something like this built into the Combinator that simplified the process.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... v-utility/

satyr32

11 Jun 2024

Pepin wrote:
11 Jun 2024
tewoc wrote:
11 Jun 2024
If you're asking whether you can recreate the Morph behavior using the Combinator on other synths, the answer heavily depends on which synth and which parameters. But it won't be a very pleasant experience since you'll be doing all your patch programming in the Combinator programmer interface.
I use Volt SL-1 from zvork for this. It takes a bit of time to set it up, but you can even apply 12 different "states" of a synth, up to 24 different parameters, and then morph between them including morph transition curve and morph speed. It is fantastic, I can highly recommend it.
You can even morph between more than 2 states.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... volt-sl-1/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Pepin

11 Jun 2024

Volt SL-1 and Morpher can both work, but the difference is that they require the morphed parameters to be exposed via CV (either directly or via generic CV inputs exposed to the mod matrix).
Most devices don't have enough CV inputs to achieve Polytone-esque patch morphing via CV, unless you're only targeting a few parameters.

• Information