Reason 13.0.2 released!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rising Night Wave

31 Aug 2024

so... about this latest and newest update from reason studios...

am, i have just created a song. two or three days ago. was starting to build it. and i have started building this song with previous reason daw version v13.0.1 and when i got a message to DL a new update... i just DL-ed it and installed it.

from then on... "undo" and some "automation" functions do not work any more. FFS!!!

this is mandatory!

i am all pi**ed off from then. meaning i am pi**ed off for about 48 hrs now hehe. no really. this is not funny at all.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

PhillipOrdonez

31 Aug 2024

CaptainBlack wrote:
31 Aug 2024
Still no acknowledging that I might have VSTs I want to use as well. If they're trying to drive me to another DAW, they're doing well.
You’re looking for vsts in the wrong place. Try the device palette.

jam-s

31 Aug 2024

Rising Night Wave wrote:
31 Aug 2024
so... about this latest and newest update from reason studios...

am, i have just created a song. two or three days ago. was starting to build it. and i have started building this song with previous reason daw version v13.0.1 and when i got a message to DL a new update... i just DL-ed it and installed it.
You can download the previous version here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

Rising Night Wave

31 Aug 2024

then the file wont open. the project file. i already tried your suggestion.
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | Sony WH-1000XM5 | LG 49UK6400

Rising Night Wave

31 Aug 2024

this my problem... it seems it is not general error... but more sticks to the project file.
i started few minutes ago a new music project with this 13.0.2 version of reason and "undo" and "automation" does work fine and okey.

it is still a bug/an error but at least itsticks so far to only previous project file.

as said... in this new project file i started few minutes ago i do not have any problem.

well, we shall see.

joeyluck

31 Aug 2024

Rising Night Wave wrote:
31 Aug 2024
this my problem... it seems it is not general error... but more sticks to the project file.
i started few minutes ago a new music project with this 13.0.2 version of reason and "undo" and "automation" does work fine and okey.

it is still a bug/an error but at least itsticks so far to only previous project file.

as said... in this new project file i started few minutes ago i do not have any problem.

well, we shall see.
In what cases is undo and automation not working for you? Is it with a particular plugin? Particular parameters or other actions?

mimidancer

02 Sep 2024

huggermugger wrote:
29 Aug 2024
Wow, I had no idea the "new and improved" Browser was so fraught with problems.
bugs are not surprising in new features. But I love the new browser. My shit is so organized now. I didn't even know it was a mess.

RobBarnett

03 Sep 2024

Anyone on here also use Logic in addition to Reason?

I'm having problems whereby when I create a shortcut to the folder Apple uses to store *.caf apple loops etc. (Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops) - the Reason browser does not display any files.

I do see the *.caf files in the browser if I go to my user folder click up a couple of times to get the the root (Macintosh HD) navigate down to the folder above and then type ".caf" in the search bar but I cannot get them to display in a shortcut????

Would be great to see if this exists for other users. NB- i've had a ticket open for this since pre R13 release Beta testing.

jaeproduced

03 Sep 2024

mimidancer wrote:
02 Sep 2024
huggermugger wrote:
29 Aug 2024
Wow, I had no idea the "new and improved" Browser was so fraught with problems.
bugs are not surprising in new features. But I love the new browser. My shit is so organized now. I didn't even know it was a mess.
Agreed the new browser still needs some indexing help but overall it has increased my productivity...

groggy1

05 Sep 2024

EnochLight wrote:
29 Aug 2024
RobBarnett wrote:
29 Aug 2024

77Gb of refills/samples/patches
8.3Gb of Apple Logic content/loops etc.
12.6Gb of Reason Sound packs
Excluding the included Reason Soundbanks .
all on Macbook Pro M1 Max internal disk

Indexing is still going - Now 3 HOURS
So 97.9 gigs of data, including refills. That’s almost 1/10th of a terabyte. That’s a lot of content to index, so that tracks.

Hi, I'm just coming back to music stuff after a small break, and excited to jump into Reason13. I also noticed that indexing my sample-library is taking forever (and even after it finished, I had one or two times on 13.0.2 where some folders wouldn't expand in the browser.

Anyway, I was wondering: For those that want to use the Reason Browser to navigate to samples without indexing any of them, is the only way to do this to go to the "My Computer" dropdown in the browser, go to my C: drive and navigate each time to my samples folders? I'm really surprised that if I tell reason in Preferences that these folders are "offline", that it doesn't let me add the folders as "Favorites" or " Shortcuts" in the browser so I can get to them easier (without the indexing). What are the options here?

WolfZeit

07 Sep 2024

I'm having lots of problems since updating to 13.0.2, problems I've never had before. Reason has always been very stable on my PC. Some examples - the Browser main panel being completely blank of content when opened. Or the Browser showing the wrong content eg opening the browser and it shows content for Ripley when I clicked the Expanse Hyperwave Synth browser. Stuttering audio. Huge use of memory, even after I have closed down the program. Having to open the Task Manager and force Reason to End Task. The attached screen grab was about 30 seconds after Reason was closed.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-09-07 085751.jpg
Screenshot 2024-09-07 085751.jpg (654.82 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

PhillipOrdonez

07 Sep 2024

WolfZeit wrote:
07 Sep 2024
I'm having lots of problems since updating to 13.0.2, problems I've never had before. Reason has always been very stable on my PC. Some examples - the Browser main panel being completely blank of content when opened. Or the Browser showing the wrong content eg opening the browser and it shows content for Ripley when I clicked the Expanse Hyperwave Synth browser. Stuttering audio. Huge use of memory, even after I have closed down the program. Having to open the Task Manager and force Reason to End Task. The attached screen grab was about 30 seconds after Reason was closed.
Had a similar issue here, did you report this to RS? In my case the process was stuck on task manager, wouldn’t close from there had to restart, only after the latest stable….

WolfZeit

07 Sep 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
07 Sep 2024
WolfZeit wrote:
07 Sep 2024
Had a similar issue here, did you report this to RS? In my case the process was stuck on task manager, wouldn’t close from there had to restart, only after the latest stable….
Yeah I've reported it. I was able to close it/end process from Task Manager. Yes, it's the latest stable here too. I can't even remember the last time I had to use Task Manager to close Reason properly, it was so long ago.

rorystorm

07 Sep 2024

WolfZeit wrote:
07 Sep 2024
CPU has been fine for me but I've had some similar issues with the Browser and been getting some help from Props support - for me it's been opening the Browser to load a sample and only seeing a limited number of the available samples in All Locations, and different Locations and Shortcuts showing the content from another Location, or samples from just one random subfolder. At Prop's suggestio9n I moved my sample library folders into the Documents folder on my desktop and that seems to have fixed the first issue but the second one remains. For me the breaking point seems to be clicking on Parent in All Locations - if I don't do that everything works fine but if I do then it's all over the shop. I'll post any solutions I find.

darrenross220

08 Sep 2024

Man, the new browser has killed my workflow, its horrible, sticky, even after it has indexed on one project when i open a new one, all the tags and things stay grey, the VST version is even more of a time vampire, your sound faster? thats if you can wait for ages to get the new browser to function, what a mess, i use reason 12 now in the VST version and im so much more creative with the old browser.

Reason 13 the version they killed creativity with the new buggy, non functioning, time sucking, buzz killing, so called browser, gutted i love reason but this version is just not useable. Sad, Really sad.

WolfZeit

08 Sep 2024

rorystorm wrote:
07 Sep 2024
WolfZeit wrote:
07 Sep 2024
CPU has been fine for me but I've had some similar issues with the Browser and been getting some help from Props support - for me it's been opening the Browser to load a sample and only seeing a limited number of the available samples in All Locations, and different Locations and Shortcuts showing the content from another Location, or samples from just one random subfolder. At Prop's suggestio9n I moved my sample library folders into the Documents folder on my desktop and that seems to have fixed the first issue but the second one remains. For me the breaking point seems to be clicking on Parent in All Locations - if I don't do that everything works fine but if I do then it's all over the shop. I'll post any solutions I find.
Thanks for the tip Rorystorm. Unfortunately moving my sample library into my Documents folder would be impossible. Hopefully RS find a fix quickly.

RobBarnett

08 Sep 2024

RobBarnett wrote:
03 Sep 2024
Anyone on here also use Logic in addition to Reason?

I'm having problems whereby when I create a shortcut to the folder Apple uses to store *.caf apple loops etc. (Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops) - the Reason browser does not display any files.

I do see the *.caf files in the browser if I go to my user folder click up a couple of times to get the the root (Macintosh HD) navigate down to the folder above and then type ".caf" in the search bar but I cannot get them to display in a shortcut????

Would be great to see if this exists for other users. NB- i've had a ticket open for this since pre R13 release Beta testing.
Seems they have blacklisted some system folders from indexing (e.g. Windows folder on Win, /etc/, /bin/ and a few others on mac) including /Library in that list.

RobBarnett

08 Sep 2024

They have whitelisted /Library/Audio in their internal build now, which should be out in alpha/beta soon.

jaeproduced

11 Sep 2024

I'm hoping for some new updates and features before Thanksgiving surely there is more to come for R13 this year...

Mataya

11 Sep 2024

Bought the update and actually had to go back to 12 because it's almost unusable for me. Browser just doesn't work for me. Very sad.

M

jaeproduced

11 Sep 2024

Mataya wrote:
11 Sep 2024
Bought the update and actually had to go back to 12 because it's almost unusable for me. Browser just doesn't work for me. Very sad.

M
I feel you the Only new none device feature is the Browser and it's the biggest problem. The continuous indexing while some folders come up empty or half empty is ridiculous. I refuse to go back to R12 after waiting on a discount for 3 months for R13 just feels too much like I wasted my money. So we just need to stay on Reason Studios to get R13 up to par...

GluhovProd

12 Sep 2024

Hello ReasonTalk! To understand my involvement, in 2024 I use Reason 12 as my main Daw, every day. I record people who come to my studio, write arrangements, edit vocals and do everything that a sound engineer usually does. And when I say main Daw, I mean that I don't use anything else.

In my opinion, any new development cycle should improve what already works great and complement what was missing earlier.

Two days ago, I bought the Reason 13 update. It took me $83.30 to upgrade - this is the current sale and a personal discount. I was satisfied with Reason 12. That is, of course, I would like to add a lot of things there, but in general - OK. I'm probably just used to DAW current limitations. But in Reason 13 - like in the Ozzy video - it's a new level of shit that I'm not ready for. I really hope that some drastic changes will be made, and the one who oversaw the development of version 13 will simply be fired and replaced with someone more competent. Next, I will describe what I have encountered over the past couple of days.

1. The browser. How many words have already been said about it, but I'll probably add.

In version 12, to add a device to favorites, you just had to drag it to the desired folder. And then, when working, it was necessary to do only 2 actions - click on the desired folder and drag the device where required.

Let's take it in order to count the number of movements in Reason 12
Stage 1 - adding:
- write the name of the device in the browser
- drag the device to the desired Favorite folder

Stage 2 - use
- click on the desired Favorite folder
- click twice on the device or drag it where you want

In Reason 13
Stage 1 - adding:
- write the name of the device
- insert the device on the track
- click save patch
- the patch is not named after the device by default, so it should be renamed in order to understand what it is at all.
- save the patch to the User Presets folder (we cannot immediately save the patch to the desired Favorite folder!!!)
- opening the browser again
- drag the saved preset to the Favorite folder we need

Stage 2 - use:
- open the browser
- open the desired Favorite folder
- click twice on the device or drag it where you want

As we can see, a lot of actions have been added at each stage. And even if you have done a herculean job of saving all your devices in the new Reason 13 browser, using them is a +1 action compared to the previous version. In the context of working on the mix +1 action to use = +N the amount of time for mixing and processing. At best, these are hours of additional work, if we are talking about a full-fledged mixing of a track, where there are from 30 to 60 tracks of instruments.

Support answer:
We've had a lot of requests about handling favorite devices in the browser, and hope to address this in a future update. You can't save patches directly into the favorite files. You first need to save the patch on your computer, then drag the saved patch to the favorite list.

2. Waveform display in Vocal Edit.
In version 12, if we process the vocals, we had the opportunity to see the waveform of the track inside the editorial window. In the latest version, it is also present, but they have removed the ability to increase this display. It was simple and convenient to increase the track and, if necessary, reduce some segment of the track, do it "on the go" right in the waveform window. Now the display is so small that to fine-tune it, you need to select a segment and lower/raise the volume in the menu on the left. That is, we have added +1 action again where everything worked fine anyway. Now it will take even more time to edit the vocals.

R13
https://imageup.ru/img134/4913707/snimo ... 104934.png
R12
https://imageup.ru/img241/4913710/snimo ... 114556.png

Support answer:
Currently it's not possible to enlarge the clip overview in the Audio Edit mode in Reason 13.
It's a good suggestion, though, and I will forward it to our Reason Product Team.

3. Tool Window (F8)
With the editing of several batches and the cancellation of changes, everything was not very pleasant anyway. But Reason 12 had a handy panel that didn't take up space when it wasn't needed, and the same panel could interact with multiple tracks at once if you wanted to apply the same editing settings to multiple tracks. Example: you need to raise several different instrument batches at once +1 octave. In Reason 12, we selected all the parts, pressed F8 and in this window used transposition to all midi segments at once. This is not possible now, as these editing tools have moved to the editing window of a particular midi/audio segment. And Reason is not able to interact in editing mode with several audio midi regions at the same time. Only with those that are in focus. It turns out that in Reason 13, to do the same thing, we again added + N number of actions. You need to take the necessary piece of midi, raise it by +1 octave and either copy it to the length of the entire track, or raise the octave in each midi region separately. And if the midi regions do not stand exactly on the grid? Then, in any case, you will have to edit each region individually. And if there are 5-7-10 instruments? The entire editorial will have to be repeated for everyone. There was a great tool that worked, but for some unknown reason, it was decided to get rid of this convenience. It sounds like nonsense, but that's what we have in Reason 13.

I started my post by saying that each new stage of development should improve what already works well and complement what was missing. Reason 13 doesn't even come close to improving what was already working. Everything either remains the same as it was, only located in a different place. And this is the best case scenario. Because for the most part, it has only gotten worse in many aspects. And the additions that did not exist and that could improve Workflow - both did not exist and do not exist. I sincerely hope that the next version will be supervised by another person, someone who really works in Reason as in the main DAW, who will face these limitations and improve what is already there. Or at least not to touch something that works like that (which was the old browser).

I have suspicions that the new version was made so badly only in order to improve it in version 14, which means to collect more positive reviews and generally have a more positive impression. Something like the concept of "Take everything away and give it a little bit later." I have upgraded to version 13, but for now I will work entirely in Reason 12, since its convenience is much higher than in version 13. And a couple of new devices are not worth the time that I will spend on all the above-described mixing manipulations. Reason is still my only and main DAW, but inside there is some sadness and disappointment for the product that you really love.

P.S.: I have added several videos that clearly demonstrate the strange operation of the program.

Colour / Naming behaviour

When I add a new instrument, it is NOT nested in the Mix Channel by default. For a better workflow, I put the devices in the Mix Channel, this makes the perception of the rack cleaner. But in this case, you have to repaint each channel twice. First in the sequencer window, then in the mixer. By the way, the channel name also changes from the name of the downloaded device to the standard "Mix Channel", which is a bit discouraging and you have to rename the channels in the mixer and in the arrangement window every time. This is also seen in the video.

Support answer:
As far as I know, there are no plans on changing how this works. The intention is not that you should place Instrument devices in the Insert Effects section of the Mix Channel device.
The Insert Effects section is meant for Effect devices used for processing the audio of the connected Instrument device.

Browser filter issue

For some reason, the browser does not display Vst2 format plugins if you apply filtering according to the purpose of the device. It can be seen that there are both Vst2 and Vst3 devices in the browser without filtering. If you apply the "EQ" filter, the Vst2 format devices are not displayed. Please note that the "hide duplicates" checkbox is NOT active.

Support answer:
The VST2 plugin format have no built-in categories, like VST3 has. In the current version of Reason, VST2 are all categorized as "Misc". We work on improving plugin filtering in a future update, but I can't say how at this time.

If you also have something that you noticed inconvenient in Reason 13 - share it in this topic, let's discuss it together. Perhaps one of the developers will read this and make the right decisions.

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2024

You can right click multiple clips and adjust the midi that way
Get more Combinators, Patches and Resources at the deeplink website

GluhovProd

12 Sep 2024

deeplink wrote:
12 Sep 2024
Oh, so that's how it's implemented?! Thanks for the answer!

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2024

GluhovProd wrote:
12 Sep 2024
deeplink wrote:
12 Sep 2024
Oh, so that's how it's implemented?! Thanks for the answer!
No worries :) otherwise your post has some good observations and well written.
I think your first point will become void as the behavior of this may change in an update.
Get more Combinators, Patches and Resources at the deeplink website

• Information