Piano Roll Scale Identification

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sp0002

26 Jun 2024

Since the release of R13 I've been assessing other DAWs (mainly looking for quality of life improvements that R13 didn't address). One function I've found that other DAWs offer is a piano roll that indicates notes in a scale or folds the keys so only those keys in the scale are available (or moving multiple notes keeps all keys in the scale). Does anything like this exist in Reason, or are there any workarounds that anyone knows of? Thanks in advance.

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2024

sp0002 wrote:
26 Jun 2024
Since the release of R13 I've been assessing other DAWs (mainly looking for quality of life improvements that R13 didn't address). One function I've found that other DAWs offer is a piano roll that indicates notes in a scale or folds the keys so only those keys in the scale are available (or moving multiple notes keeps all keys in the scale). Does anything like this exist in Reason, or are there any workarounds that anyone knows of? Thanks in advance.
The only kinda workaround I know is scales and chords using just the scale part. Then if I recall correctly you can either set it up to move notes out of scale into scale or to filter notes so those out of scale do not play.

Been a while since I used scales and chords but recall reason did a you tube video so worth a watch.

sp0002

26 Jun 2024

Ah ok, I see so even if I have a D in piano roll, Scales & Chords will play a D# etc. Yeah, I suppose that's a halfway house. Thanks.

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2024

sp0002 wrote:
26 Jun 2024
Ah ok, I see so even if I have a D in piano roll, Scales & Chords will play a D# etc. Yeah, I suppose that's a halfway house. Thanks.
Yeah not as elegant as being able to see it but an option for people who came from a dj background and cannot remember scales(eg me)

huggermugger

26 Jun 2024

No, Reason can't customize the note display in the piano roll.

jam-s

26 Jun 2024

sp0002 wrote:
26 Jun 2024
You can always use the "send to tracks" option later to see where all the notes were mapped to.

p.s. Most interesting songs don't only use one scale but instead modulate between different scales and also use off scale notes to create tension or for the transitions.

• Information