Loyalty Discount Structure for Reason Upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
craste

15 Jun 2024

Probably a bit late now for this now, but wouldn't it be a great if Reason Studios had a loyalty discount structure (based on your first Reason Version/Licence Purchase) so it rewards current Reason users and even more so if they have been using Reason for longer.

For instance if your first license is Reason 12 you get a 10% discount on the upgrade cost, if you first purchased Reason 11 you get a 20% discount, so on and so forth upto a maximum discount of say around 75% and the percentage discount is slowly reduced (is stead of multiples of 10%) down to Reason version 1 (to enable a maximum of 75% discount).

This will be a really nice thing to do for your user base and would go down a storm.

huggermugger

15 Jun 2024

It's not going to happen. The best they've come up with is the Rewards program, which is so limited that they don't even promote it, and a lot of users don't even know about it.

joeyluck

15 Jun 2024

All they need to do is add the Reason upgrade to the Rewards shop and that would work.

Loyalty upgrade pricing could be nice, but I think the simpler approach of allowing people to upgrade from any version for the same price is actually a bigger loyalty reward. It's saying that if you've bought Reason before, regardless how long it's been, you can upgrade for the same price.

And then you have to think, if it's the way you propose where the user on the most recent version gets the bigger discount, and that person began their journey with R12, that won't go over well with the loyal customers who have been on board since version 1 and aren't on R12 for whatever Reason. But that goes back to rewards points and being able to exchange them towards the upgrade. And of course I imagine they wouldn't go back and retroactively add points, but it would still be a good move for future rewards and would motivate sales.

stratatonic

15 Jun 2024

I like the way it works currently - buying at the upgrade price from whatever version you are, I went from 8 to 12 for 80 dollars, so no complaints there!

Regarding the Rewards thing, I logged in to see how many points I had. I had the same 5 points as when I had last used the Shop a couple of years ago. I just logged in to IKMultimedia for a comparison for the first time in a few years. I noticed that every here and there they threw in a bunch of gift Jam Points so I have many more points to use to reduce the price of anything in their shop. ReasonStudios could do stuff like that.
(I also see that IK has their entire T-Racks Max suite available for 49 dollars, so now I am thinking about that, so thanks craste for bringing this up. I think. :? )

Lov2sing

17 Jun 2024

stratatonic wrote:
15 Jun 2024
I like the way it works currently - buying at the upgrade price from whatever version you are, I went from 8 to 12 for 80 dollars, so no complaints there!

Regarding the Rewards thing, I logged in to see how many points I had. I had the same 5 points as when I had last used the Shop a couple of years ago. I just logged in to IKMultimedia for a comparison for the first time in a few years. I noticed that every here and there they threw in a bunch of gift Jam Points so I have many more points to use to reduce the price of anything in their shop. ReasonStudios could do stuff like that.
(I also see that IK has their entire T-Racks Max suite available for 49 dollars, so now I am thinking about that, so thanks craste for bringing this up. I think. :? )
The only drawback with IK is you get a third of what the item you purchased. I learned that the first time I bought something. For instance that price of $49.00 would only allow $16.00 to be used no matter how many points you have.
We make music for a reason

stratatonic

17 Jun 2024

Lov2sing wrote:
17 Jun 2024
stratatonic wrote:
15 Jun 2024

The only drawback with IK is you get a third of what the item you purchased. I learned that the first time I bought something. For instance that price of $49.00 would only allow $16.00 to be used no matter how many points you have.
Yeah, nothing's perfect. :puf_smile: But while IK is just trying to make money, the Jam Points are still an incentive to spend. Unlike RS. As I mentioned earlier, they could throw in a bunch of points into everyone's account. They could even bump me up to 25. I'd still have to spend something more to get anything of value and I may consider that, but with the measly amount of points that I have in my account, I'm not thinking of any purchase at all.

huggermugger

17 Jun 2024

The first step to making Reason Rewards meaningful would be to get rid of the "Rewards Store" and let us apply rewards points to any purchase, similar to Plugin Boutique. As an R11 Suite owner, I already own most of what's in the Rewards Store, and what's left is a few expensive devices that aren't of any interest to me.

WaxTrax

17 Jun 2024

Slightly off-topic, but I got most of what IKM had to offer in software a few years ago from a tremendous group buy they had at the time. It seemed like a too-good-to-be-true deal at the time, but in retrospect, I ended up spending much more than I needed to compared to what they offer today.

I think Total Studio Max v3 was released around that time, and since then they've updated it to v3.5 and now v4 last year. Right now they have an upgrade promo for $200 for TSM4 (with a very wide net of qualifying upgrade products), and I had $50 JamPoints, so I got the upgrade for $150. Even though I already had the bulk of the content included from the group buy, there were enough things released within the past 3 years to make the $150 worth it to me. That being said, seeing how IKM tends to work with bundles and pricing (which has changed quite significantly in the past few years), I probably wouldn't upgrade again unless a significant amount of content was added.

I saw someone else say that regardless of actual upgrade pricing, if you treat all IKM software as "non-upgradeable" when you purchase it, you'll have a better mindset if you decide to purchase new/updated software from them in the future. You won't feel as ripped off because you were already expecting it. Right or wrong, I think most software purchases should be treated this way. If the software company provides great upgrade incentives, that's awesome, but don't ever count on it actually happening. You can't be overly disappointed in the software company if you weren't truly expecting a great upgrade deal to begin with.

Just like the stock market, past performance does not guarantee future results, and IKM in particular is a shining example of this.

• Information