Panning difference...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kooshan

11 May 2024

Hello
Today I was talking to some musician friends and couple of them unanimously agreed that when panning vocals, backvocals, instruments and … to the right they feel farther away and when doing the opposite(pan to the left) they hear and feel(perceive) closer to the listener .
I never felt this way and obviously I’ve always thought that panning certain sounds to left and right has nothing to do with them getting closer or farther away . Also I found absolutely nothing on Internet to scientifically support their weird idea .
Your thoughts please?

Reminiscence

11 May 2024

The volume of the channel is also relevant, gives more spatial variation.

kooshan

11 May 2024

Yes but the assumption is they are also equal

selig
RE Developer

11 May 2024

I’ve been around for a long time, and heard all sorts of ‘things’ in my life. But even in the weird audio world, this is a new one.
First of all, you can’t get anyone to 100% agree on which way to pan drums or pianos, but no argument has ever been about which side is ‘closer/further’.
Second, the center image would totally break down if both sides were not able to be equal when panned center. And if they are equal, then panning to one side or the other would have zero effect except for on folks with a hearing problem in one ear compared to the other.
My answer to them would be “you do you”, because, well, whatever floats your boat! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Reminiscence

11 May 2024

The center is like a hallway, panning left and right are like separate rooms?

selig
RE Developer

11 May 2024

Reminiscence wrote:
11 May 2024
The center is like a hallway, panning left and right are like separate rooms?
I would say the center is like being center stage, and panning left/right is like being left/right of center stage.
The stereo image is often called a “soundstage”, after all…. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Reminiscence

11 May 2024

Aaah thanks, I like how this panned out... ;)

DaveyG

11 May 2024

kooshan wrote:
11 May 2024
Hello
Today I was talking to some musician friends and couple of them unanimously agreed that when panning vocals, backvocals, instruments and … to the right they feel farther away and when doing the opposite(pan to the left) they hear and feel(perceive) closer to the listener .
I never felt this way and obviously I’ve always thought that panning certain sounds to left and right has nothing to do with them getting closer or farther away . Also I found absolutely nothing on Internet to scientifically support their weird idea .
Your thoughts please?
I reckon they are either sitting too close to the left speaker or they are a bit more deaf in their right ear. Or maybe they were just enjoying winding you up. :lol:

Mind you, some years ago I was startled to discover that the colour of a guitar affects the sound. Since then I have always been careful to keep notes about the colour of any guitar I record to help me when mixing.

kooshan

11 May 2024

Thanks selig !
Yeah I totally agree but sometimes I read somewhere that for instance panning (guitars, background stuff and ... )to the left makes them more audible and panning keyboard and sharp instuments to the right makes them more percievable and to be honest what I just mentioned has many many votes .
So this is when I realize some people do actually tend to agree on some beliefs regarding panning .

selig
RE Developer

12 May 2024

kooshan wrote:
11 May 2024
Thanks selig !
Yeah I totally agree but sometimes I read somewhere that for instance panning (guitars, background stuff and ... )to the left makes them more audible and panning keyboard and sharp instuments to the right makes them more percievable and to be honest what I just mentioned has many many votes .
So this is when I realize some people do actually tend to agree on some beliefs regarding panning .
So “people are saying” to the left is more “audible” and right is more “perceivable”. What about the center, where we tend to put all that most important stuff, is the center therefore “less audible AND less perceivable”?

As for people agreeing on panning beliefs, also remember there are lots of folks who agree the world is flat, so there’s that…
Selig Audio, LLC

huggermugger

12 May 2024

"Beliefs regarding panning"? Since when did panning become a religion? This is the silliest thread I've seen here in a long time.

guitfnky

12 May 2024

your friends might have some excess wax in their right ears. 😅
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

kooshan

12 May 2024

selig wrote:
12 May 2024
kooshan wrote:
11 May 2024
Thanks selig !
So “people are saying” to the left is more “audible” and right is more “perceivable”. What about the center, where we tend to put all that most important stuff, is the center therefore “less audible AND less perceivable”?

As for people agreeing on panning beliefs, also remember there are lots of folks who agree the world is flat, so there’s that…
Ofcourse there has been nothing reasonable in that assumtion, that's why I posted here to know others opinions:)

motuscott

12 May 2024

huggermugger wrote:
12 May 2024
Since when did panning become a religion?
Southern Pantheist, born & raised. Pass the Jesus on the left hand side.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

huggermugger

12 May 2024

motuscott wrote:
12 May 2024

LMAOOO

selig
RE Developer

12 May 2024

motuscott wrote:
12 May 2024
huggermugger wrote:
12 May 2024
Since when did panning become a religion?
As long as you're not one of those Pan-Pantheists – they'll believe ANYTHING
Selig Audio, LLC

supersmarter

12 May 2024

Different Pan Laws exist out there. Selig Gain tool covered it. There's even a nice Combinator that uses specific pan techniques and I can't remember the name of it now. Unfortunately.

moneykube

12 May 2024

selig wrote:
12 May 2024
motuscott wrote:
12 May 2024

As long as you're not one of those Pan-Pantheists – they'll believe ANYTHING
:lol: but they play the flute well ... at least some of them. :puf_wink:
Screen Shot 2024-05-12 at 9.59.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-12 at 9.59.57 PM.png (290.89 KiB) Viewed 196 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

mimidancer

13 May 2024

selig wrote:
11 May 2024
I’ve been around for a long time, and heard all sorts of ‘things’ in my life. But even in the weird audio world, this is a new one.
First of all, you can’t get anyone to 100% agree on which way to pan drums or pianos, but no argument has ever been about which side is ‘closer/further’.
Second, the center image would totally break down if both sides were not able to be equal when panned center. And if they are equal, then panning to one side or the other would have zero effect except for on folks with a hearing problem in one ear compared to the other.
My answer to them would be “you do you”, because, well, whatever floats your boat! :)
should have said whatever floats your point. sorry, I am a dork.

selig
RE Developer

13 May 2024

mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2024
selig wrote:
11 May 2024
What did I miss here?!?
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

13 May 2024

selig wrote:
13 May 2024
mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2024

What did I miss here?!?
sorry, you said whatever floats your boat. I was making a floating-point audio joke. I forget I am not funny.

Popey
Competition Winner

13 May 2024

mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2024
selig wrote:
13 May 2024

What did I miss here?!?
sorry, you said whatever floats your boat. I was making a floating-point audio joke. I forget I am not funny.
I got it 👍

Although I don't actually know what floating point is other than seeing it mentioned (eg 32bit,16 bit etc)

• Information