Why does Reason automatically self-contains a sample when you really didn't altered it?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Avith Ortega

11 Sep 2023

I like to edit the start/end/loop marks of the samples in the Edit Sample window because you can see the waveform (and the audio samples when you zoom-in enough), but when you do that Reason always creates a copy of the sample and self-contains it.
I don't like this behaviour because I still want to know where exactly the sample comes from in my Samples' file directory, it shouldn't create a copy of it because I am not altering the sample itself, I am just moving the start/end marks of it.

Just look at this: when I change the Start/End marks in the NN-XT knobs the sample reamins there with its original file path

now when I change the markers in the Edit window you can see the values also change in the NN-XT accordingly:

So what I am trying to do is to change those NN-XT values with the waveform of the Edit window, I don't want the samples to be re-rendered and automatically self-contain, there should be an option in the Edit window to especify that I don't want to self-contain the sample (I know that some options will actually modify the sample itself such as the "Normalize" option, but it should self-contain automatically only on those cases).

In Preferences I already uncheked the "Self-contain samples when loading from disk", that doesn't fix it; also when I uncheck the samples in the "Song Self-Contained Settings" window another window appears showing 2 rendering options (which again is just making a copy of the copy).

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2023

You'd have to ask the folks at ReasonStudios the "why", but if I had to guess I'd say the sample editor always saves a new file because it affects all of the parameters that CAN be saved with the sample file format. Even though you're not editing the audio as you would with other functions in the Sample Editor (crop, fades, etc), it still saves all the sample specific attributes like root note, name, and loop markers within the .wav file format. So it's only natural it will need to save ANY changes done in this mode because it is all sample data from the computer's perspective.

Hopefully this is not a deal breaker for you, to be honest I've never even noticed it in 20 years of Reason use fwiw.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information