What's Your (Reason Specific) Goto Limiter?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

10 Feb 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
09 Feb 2023
Reason itself is kinda "limiter"
Hater... :lol:
Just joking, but seriously, Reason is the GOAT.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

FrankJaeger

10 Feb 2023

Faastwalker wrote:
09 Feb 2023
This is my master output chain in Reason currently. I've been Meaning to try the Kuassa Kratos 2 RE to see how it shapes up against Ozone;

If you don't mind my asking, why do you put the eq post limiting in your master chain? I've never seen this done before so I'm curious. Can't additive EQ post limiting cause your signal to clip?
TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Feb 2023
The Ozone one.
Seems like ozone is taking the W. It IS a very good transparent maximizer. Too bad they discontinued it. I'm glad I bought it before hand, though that means there will never be any updates.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

arnigretar

10 Feb 2023

MClass
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

FrankJaeger

10 Feb 2023

arnigretar wrote:
10 Feb 2023
MClass
I like the MClass as well but I never use it in the master section. I like to use it on drums and highly transient material with the soft clip engaged to squeeze out a little more volume.
Midniite Music

arnigretar

10 Feb 2023

Oh sorry Frank, i thought we were just talking about a limiter we use a lot! I use MClass on mix channels - for limiting the sound in the mix. I don't use the MClass on the mastering channel - then I mostly use L3 Multimaximizer from Waves :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

moalla

14 Jul 2023

I use in my master output chain, Elysias Museq (electronic music) or Millenias NSEQ ( analog sounds) mostly, hornets syncpressor as bus comp and finally kuassas Kratos Maximizer as last effect.

What I really like now, is hornets VHS virtual headphone correction when I‘m in the final mix process, it gives me this different Hi-Fi sound on my Superlux HD660pro, or DT880 250ohm headphones, what can show you where the balance lacks, if it needs a little bit other settings in my master chain

Still looking for TDR kotelnikov bus comp in sale at PB, what must be good as softubes Weiss DS1mk3 when people at GS and YouTube are telling the thruth. But at all Kratos iss really good, maybe the best maximizer plugin you can get.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

DJMaytag

14 Jul 2023

FabFilter Pro-L2 on the master bus, barely doing anything.

Josdams

15 Jul 2023

Anyone here have done the null test on the limiters of preference?

I have done it on ozone 9 and is absolutely perfect. Reason mclass limiter doesn't pass the test.

Popey
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
14 Jul 2023
FabFilter Pro-L2 on the master bus, barely doing anything.
Same here, usually there just to keep at - 1db.

reasonosaer

15 Jul 2023

there aren't any limiters currently available in the RE format that are as good as the best VSTs unfortunately. i tried pretty much everything available until the newfangled audio one came out a few years ago and usually ended up going back to the old psp xenon except for some heavier mixes that are more or less a squarewave already where I'd use the fabfilter one. I have mostly stopped trying out new limiters since the newfangled one came out, it's a genuine advancement. they have an eq that's based on the same multi-band tech that i pull out when i need to do extreme corrective eq as transparently as possible which isn't that often but the limiter has rarely left my master buss since it came out, you really should try it if you're limiter shopping. their synth didn't do much for me but everything else they've made is great.

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2023

Josdams wrote:
15 Jul 2023
Anyone here have done the null test on the limiters of preference?

I have done it on ozone 9 and is absolutely perfect. Reason mclass limiter doesn't pass the test.
I currently have landed on Ozone 10 (was on 9 elements before because my needs are few).

The “test” for me when comparing brick-wall limiters is to build a Combinator that compensates for the level increase. By removing loudness and comparing either dry vs wet or Limiter 1 vs Limiter 2, you can more quickly hear exactly what’s changing (besides just loudness). This keeps my ears from succumbing to the “louder sounds better” audio illusion! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information