Offline authorization will be discontinued for R11 and earlier - This is serious

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
QVprod

13 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
13 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
13 Jun 2023

It would suck indeed, because they would likely go out of business if they ever attempted such a thing. And I think they know it. Reason isn't big enough to go sub only.. too much competition. I don't think we will see this happen.

But it's fun to have this conversation over and over and over again, isn't it?
This is where I think you're wrong. As JoeyLuck said earlier in this thread, every time Propellerhead/Reason Studios have changed something about the authorisation there has been an outcry but ultimately people have always stuck with Reason, in spite of these changes, because they love Reason. Nobody loves Pro Tools or Waves or Adobe really. They're just professional tools for getting a job done. If the vendor of these is going to break something that prevents people doing their work, there'll be an outcry. Reason is different. And it is for that exact reason, I think we will eventually get subs only, because the fan base is so loyal Reason Studios do know they eventually can get away with it and people won't leave. If they were such a decent and customer-centric company, they would never have invented Reason+ in the first place.

No decent company creates subscription models where a perpetual has worked just fine before, as per:

This author has an axe to grind lol. Extreme opinion pieces have to be taken with a grain of salt. Despite that, He points out Microsoft and Adobe, whom did not offer optional subscriptions. They just switched entirely from the jump. Very different move. And both are market leaders in their industry. You keep missing that last part. Microsoft office products have been an industry standard for 30 years or so. It’s much easier to force a sub model when you have that level of control. Same with Adobe.
Vendors who deliver a service where the subscription model makes a lot of sense to the customer are not the focus of this article or my analysis, because we all know that the subscription model can deliver value in some cases.
There’s also a quite a distinction that’s made. He’s mostly against products that do very little to update beyond a reskin. R+ offers more than just a reskin for those super loyal customers who want every RS Re that gets released. Yes, those people exist. This would fall under the subscriptions that offer value, which he has no problem with.

Jackjackdaw

13 Jun 2023

That article is just another dude ranting. Just like any dude ranting on here.

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
13 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
13 Jun 2023

It would suck indeed, because they would likely go out of business if they ever attempted such a thing. And I think they know it. Reason isn't big enough to go sub only.. too much competition. I don't think we will see this happen.

But it's fun to have this conversation over and over and over again, isn't it?
This is where I think you're wrong. As JoeyLuck said earlier in this thread, every time Propellerhead/Reason Studios have changed something about the authorisation there has been an outcry but ultimately people have always stuck with Reason, in spite of these changes, because they love Reason. Nobody loves Pro Tools or Waves or Adobe really. They're just professional tools for getting a job done. If the vendor of these is going to break something that prevents people doing their work, there'll be an outcry. Reason is different. And it is for that exact reason, I think we will eventually get subs only, because the fan base is so loyal Reason Studios do know they eventually can get away with it and people won't leave. If they were such a decent and customer-centric company, they would never have invented Reason+ in the first place.

No decent company creates subscription models where a perpetual has worked just fine before, as per:

💆‍♂️...

I really don't like having to come back to this cursed thread (typical billy garbage, inflammatory time wasting crap) and i really hate seeing this thread pop up again and again. I try to ignore it, cause there's just no point. But here we are. You, like many others, are here saying things that aren't true. We all love reason, for what it allows us to do. We know it well, it is like home. But to even pretend we won't jump ship if it goes sub only... 😂 Omega lol 😂 mfs come and post like once a week saying they are done with RS and finding another daw, and RS haven't even gone sub only!!!! (they won't). But mfs saying they will go sub only and people won't jump ship are: 1. Wrong 2. Giving RS the wrong ideas... Perhaps it is true to you. YOU would stay if they went sub only. I won't. I have other options like other daws and hardware. In the end, it is not about the software for me but about something that allows me to put my ideas out in the world, and while reason is great for that, it isn't the only thing that is capable and enjoyable at the same time.

I tried to stay away from this thread after you said my arguments are like putting salt in the wound, therefore I left this thread alone for a good while, feeling sorry for your pain, cause i understand it, i feel you, you are scared, i get it and I'm sorry my arguments make you feel bad. I don't want to cause pain to others.

I'll try to ignore this thread, just hope it dies out so i don't need to see it all the time. 💆‍♂️

bernardh

13 Jun 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Jun 2023
That article is just another dude ranting. Just like any dude ranting on here.
OK, I'll save my ranting up for when Reason Studios actually sell their customers down the river rather than ranting right now when they haven't done that just yet... :)

plaamook

13 Jun 2023

Wow...I almost posted my opinion in this thread...
That's what happens when you're working on drone music.
You get bored!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

bernardh

13 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jun 2023
I'll try to ignore this thread, just hope it dies out so i don't need to see it all the time. 💆‍♂️
It's largely my fault keeping it alive! I'm happy with my Reason setup now, the initial anxiety has gone as I've mitigated it with the work I've done this last week on my configuration. I have a lovely Reason setup offline authorised using Codemeter. I also have a bootable clone of the system which also displays as fully licensed offline when I boot into it. I also have an Ignition Key now which contains all my licenses too. I can breathe a sigh of relief that my setup is secured for a long time yet and I now have the added bonus of no longer needing (being able) to spend any more money with Reason Studios. I would have liked to have continued to support them financially and buy any new REs they bring out, don't get me wrong, but I won't now because it will ruin my fully working offline setup if I try and acquire any more Rack Extensions.

Maybe finally I can really focus on being a musician instead of being a virtual studio gear hoarder!

Cheers :)

AnotherMathias

13 Jun 2023

Am I understanding this right: If you want to run an older version, the ONLY way you will be able to do it is by creating a hermetically sealed box NOW, authorized by code meter, and then take the system offline?
No way at all, after September 25, to run v11 or earlier?

That would be too bad. I'm seriously considering running a "retro" system, from back when all my favorite devices were there (I like the old stuff best) but the system was still lean and "pure". I'm thinking v9.
I wouldn't mind dialing in once in a while to authorize things, but that won't be an option either, if I understand it properly. Right?

joeyluck

13 Jun 2023

AnotherMathias wrote:
13 Jun 2023
Am I understanding this right: If you want to run an older version, the ONLY way you will be able to do it is by creating a hermetically sealed box NOW, authorized by code meter, and then take the system offline?

That would be too bad. I'm seriously considering running a "retro" system, from back when all my favorite devices were there (I like the old stuff best) but the system was still lean and "pure". I'm thinking v9.
I wouldn't mind dialing in once in a while to authorize things, but that won't be an option either, if I understand it properly. Right?
Perhaps you need to take it offline if you're on Windows? Since Windows seems to update whenever it wants lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5rjTramis

Otherwise, no you don't need to take your computer offline, you just need to be careful to not do any updates to the computer that might break the authorization, or break the computer or ignition key itself, as the license won't be able to be written again after September 25.

AnotherMathias

14 Jun 2023

I’m on a Mac, so no issues in that sense.
But I’m not sure if I like the “don’t touch anything, you might break it!” feeling of this solution.
If I wanted to get a larger hard drive, or if I wanted to change version (maybe go even more retro to, say, v6.5, I’d be in trouble.

The kind thing for Reason Studios to do would be to let users authorize ALL versions lesser than what the license is for. So that would include older versions, as well as all Lite and Intro ones. They could explicitly not offer tech support for any but the newest version if they wanted.

If RS would add the option to disable or hide any devices you want (or better yet, allow us to define different groupings of visible devices), that would also work for me. As it is now, there are simply too many toys for me to play with - I never get any music making done!

bernardh

14 Jun 2023

AnotherMathias wrote:
13 Jun 2023
You can run v11 after September 25th, but online only UNLESS you've got your Codemeter in order before then. After September 25th if you didn't get your Codemeter licenses downloaded in time, or your Codemeter licenses fail in any way, you will NEVER be able to get them back in Codemeter format again from Reason Studios. You will then be stuck ONLY being able to authorise those older Reason licenses using RS's non-Codemeter internet login cloud authentication solution.

Hence why I've removed the risky 'don’t touch anything, you might break it' element from my Mac and have taken it completely offline. I've also now got a triple solution of authorisation: main disk is offline authorised, a cloned disk is offline authorised (made using Carbon Copy Cloner) and also now I have an Ignition Key too incase the offline authorisation Codemeter part ever fails on me.

If you want an Ignition key and don't have one, they're just a CmStick rebadged. You can buy from any of these suppliers and it will 'just work' exactly like it's an Ignition Key:

https://baseheadinc.com/product/codemet ... sb-dongle/
https://www.baslerweb.com/en/products/a ... -cmdongle/
https://www.frontendaudio.com/magix-usb ... er-dongle/
https://baseheadinc.com/product/codemet ... sb-dongle/

AnotherMathias

14 Jun 2023

But for people like myself, who aren’t too worried about going along with the online authorizations, will they implement a replacement for Codemeter for old versions (older than v11)?

Or are those old versions going to forever ask for Codemeter, which will be forever gone?

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Jun 2023

AnotherMathias wrote:
14 Jun 2023
But for people like myself, who aren’t too worried about going along with the online authorizations, will they implement a replacement for Codemeter for old versions (older than v11)?

Or are those old versions going to forever ask for Codemeter, which will be forever gone?
Codemeter is for offline use only. The online login will continue to work (for now).

bxbrkrz

14 Jun 2023

rcbuse wrote:
14 Jun 2023
AnotherMathias wrote:
14 Jun 2023

Codemeter is for offline use only. The online login will continue to work (for now).
Hmmm...
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

AnotherMathias

14 Jun 2023

rcbuse wrote:
14 Jun 2023
But this only works (I think?) for using versions you've owned in the past, and then upgraded from.
I started with v1.0 and upgraded many times, but foolishly sold it. So now I've started fresh with v11 (and upgraded to v12), which I believe means that I can't use, for example, v6.5 at all. Correct?

Fair enough, I guess, although it's a shame for those who feels that the newer additions have made Reason a bit cluttered and bloated. Which is why allowing us to hide/disable everything we don't want could be an acceptable alternative (for me). But that's a different topic for a different thread.

bernardh

14 Jun 2023

AnotherMathias wrote:
14 Jun 2023

Yes, they will forever ask for Codemeter, which after Sep 25th will be gone forever. I've had success in the past using an Ignition Key to let me use all Codemetered versions of Reason prior, regardless of my owning a license for that version or not, something the online authentication doesn't allow.

I would advise getting an Ignition Key and put your Reason license on it and see if Reason 6 - 10 work fully licensed when it's inserted, I think you'll find they just might.

AnotherMathias

14 Jun 2023

bernardh wrote:
14 Jun 2023
Yes, they will forever ask for Codemeter, which after Sep 25th will be gone forever. I've had success in the past using an Ignition Key to let me use all Codemetered versions of Reason prior, regardless of my owning a license for that version or not, something the online authentication doesn't allow.

I would advise getting an Ignition Key and put your Reason license on it and see if Reason 6 - 10 work fully licensed when it's inserted, I think you'll find they just might.
Turns out that I already have an Ignition Key in my drawer!
I managed to put my Codemeter license on it, and so far so good - I can run v10.4.1 using that, which is an earlier version that what I originally bought.
Testing something even earlier will be more work. I'm running Catalina (the newest OS this old 2012 computer can run), but to use something like Reason v9 or older I'll need to downgrade to a pre-Catalina OS.

Thanks!

reasonosaer

14 Jun 2023

As to the question of whether you need a completely offline machine to ensure an older version of Reason using an ignition key for authorization will function as long as the hardware its running on survives, I would not recommend running a stock version of Windows later than 7 that stays connected to the internet if you have ANY production software or data on the machine that's really important to you. The regular version of Windows does not allow you to completely turn off the invasive telemetry and updates that regularly break both Windows functionality and third party software, sometimes for months, sometimes forever.

My main production machine has always been offline and these folks https://ameliorated.io/ can help you get a clean, authorized copy of Windows installed on the box you want to take offline that will run much better and leave far more of your hardware resources available to Reason or whatever software you're running because all the spyware and background bs has been stripped out of Windows. If you are an advanced Windows user the stock AME releases will give you the most flexibility, but the "Atlas" playbook designed for gaming is actually the leanest of the verified playbooks and works just fine for Reason but it has Windows update turned on by default. Even the base AME10 version is a much smaller footprint than stock windows (i use a 32gb optane drive for my system with programs on a regular m.2 nvme drive) that will run more like a buttoned down linux system than Windows as you know it. I've been using variations of the original script this project grew out of on all my Windows machines for years and and would recommend it for any application but it's especially well suited to a long term offline production box. You do not need any special technical skills or experience to use one of their playbooks, they have very good step-by-step instructions available, just read before you proceed. I would recommend starting with a clean install and then migrating any data over rather than running the script on an existing Windows install. That's possible but there's a lot fewer ways for it to go wrong with a fresh install, just don't forget to deauthorize your machine in your Reason account and also in the ilok manager thing if you have any VSTs that need it before you reinstall Windows. One other thing to keep in mind is that installing new VSTs on a machine that's completely offline can be a headache and some developers don't allow for it at all, but if you're runnning an AME version of Windows there's a lot lower chance of Windows breaking itself if you enable the adapter or plugin the cable only when you need to install or update something. Or if everything works and you have too many plugins already just declare it a finished system. I have Acid 4 running on a time capsule laptop with a square screen as well as an early samsung note phone (the one with the little pen stylus) that just runs Caustic 3 now and I still make elements that get used in projects on both of them once in a while.

bernardh

15 Jun 2023

reasonosaer wrote:
14 Jun 2023
Or if everything works and you have too many plugins already just declare it a finished system. I have Acid 4 running on a time capsule laptop with a square screen as well as an early samsung note phone (the one with the little pen stylus) that just runs Caustic 3 now and I still make elements that get used in projects on both of them once in a while.
Great post and I love the phrase 'declare it a finished system', I'm going to reuse that from hereon in :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2023

Luckily I still have an ignition key if I need to use R10. I'm currently on R+ (free with something I bought), ... but it's still pretty uncool.

I'm guessing they've ended their license with Wibu-Systems or something - and online authorization is PH tech.

bxbrkrz

15 Jun 2023

"On September 25, 2023 the offline authorization solution for Reason 6-11 will be discontinued. Online authorization is unaffected by this change.

Existing offline authorizations for Reason will remain effective in its current state but without any guarantees or support. If you buy a new computer, reinstall the OS, or make any other severe changes to your computer hardware, your offline authorization may become unusable.

You have received this message because there is a Reason license associated with this email address that is affected by this change."

Not even a "Hello", but thanks for the reminder.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

EnochLight

15 Jun 2023

My mood right now...

santa_boo_hoo.jpg
santa_boo_hoo.jpg (586.23 KiB) Viewed 39091 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

15 Jun 2023

EnochLight wrote:
15 Jun 2023
Wait! Santa Claus is dead? :o
Reason12, Win10

DaveyG

15 Jun 2023

Loque wrote:
15 Jun 2023
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jun 2023
Yep, and he took Reason with him.

AnotherMathias

15 Jun 2023

There seems to be a (very small) movement of people who are considering setting up a static sealed-off system in preparation of September!

This would be a good moment for the RE creators to have a nice big sale!
Kind of a last chance opportunity for people to buy a few more REs and authorize their Ignition Keys before the deadline.

plaamook

16 Jun 2023

Loque wrote:
15 Jun 2023
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jun 2023
No he’s fine.
It was all just make believe anyway.

Reason isn’t dead either.
For what it’s worth the new off line mode in R12.6 is so much simpler than the last nightmare w the authorizor…which always sucked.
W that cheap deal at JRR I reckon just upgrade and forget all this mess. Life’s too short.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information