Creating a momentary switch with remote keyboard

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Barriott

25 Oct 2022

Hi

Messing around without my controller last night and I have a combinator switch set up to control frequency cutoff on a synth. Probably Europa. Any how. I wanted the switch to work as a momentary switch. I.e turns on when I press a key. And off when you release the key.

Couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Spent a couple of hours on It last night. Woke up this morning and struggled all day at work wondering if it was possible.

My question to you is.

Is it?

deeplink
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2022

Yes with CV.

Using Thors Button as a CV source, and setting it to be triggered by a particular midi note (on the front panel of Thor)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Pepin

25 Oct 2022

Here's one method. As an example, this will open Europa's filter while C0 is held:
- Add RPG-8 to the Combinator. Set its Velocity knob to Fixed 127 and turn the Arpeggiator off.
- Using the Combinator programmer, restrict the range of RPG-8 to just C0 and Europa's range to C#0 to G8.
- Hook the RPG-8's Gate output to Europa's CV input, and map it to the filter via the mod matrix
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.02.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.02.20 PM.png (11.82 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.01.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.01.59 PM.png (669.28 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.01.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 12.01.53 PM.png (620.06 KiB) Viewed 1757 times

Hans_47

25 Oct 2022

Might also be possible with Hamu's Midi Tapper (a free Rack Extension). Allows momentary switching with keyboard keys

Mich01

26 Oct 2022

The easiest way to do this is by using a sustainpedal.
greetz Michel

Barriott

28 Oct 2022

Thanks for the replies. Couldn't seem to get any.of these methods to work. Other than the sustain pedal. I have a keyboard with pads that can be changed to momentary so I've been using that.

Just. When I cant do something it's like an itch.

Just for clarity. Id like to press a button on my qwerty keyboard to open and close a filter.press it to open it. Release it to close it.

I appreciate the replies. Perhaps I'm doing wrong.

Hans_47

16 Nov 2022

A bit late but maybe still helpful, I prepared a combinator which shows usage of MidiTapper I mentioned above. In it I also connected CVA-7 (another free CV display device) to show which output to use. MidiTapper programmed for C1 key, i.e. if you press C1 output goes high if released output goes low.
KeyTap.zip
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
For MidiTapper description see http://hamu.se/root/rack-extensions/index.html
In case you don't know these devices
MidiTapper in shop: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ed-switch/
CVA-7 in shop: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -analyzer/
Of course MidiTapper must be active in sequencer to receive the C1 key.

me-yourself-and-them

09 Jun 2023

messing around with this one more time...
any idea of how to achieve a momentary button without a cv in like when you use dual arepggio?
hamu is no option. you'll have to lock a midi channel eg with koshdukais midi channels codec to hamus midi tapper.
meaning: you'll need one channel and tapper for every effect to be triggered momentary.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2023

Barriott wrote:
28 Oct 2022
Thanks for the replies. Couldn't seem to get any.of these methods to work. Other than the sustain pedal. I have a keyboard with pads that can be changed to momentary so I've been using that.

Just for clarity. Id like to press a button on my qwerty keyboard to open and close a filter.press it to open it. Release it to close it.

This is what I got…
You have a button already working for this on the Combinator, right? If so, try this:
•Right Click on the button, and select "Edit Keyboard Control Mapping…" (middle choice)
•Press the key on your query keyboard you want to assign to the switch (the name should appear after the word "Key"
•Press OK
•Make sure to select "Enable Keyboard Control" from the "Options" menu

That's it, now when you press the querty key once, the button is pressed and the filter opens, again and it closes. Is this what you're looking for?
Selig Audio, LLC

electrofux

10 Jun 2023

The Note Off message sometimes is 9x yy 00 and sometimes 8x yy 00 - depends on the keyboard. Maybe the remote assign cannot compensate for that - not sure. I had some issues with a codec before in that sense.

In Thor you can set the Key velocity as a source in the programmer. Maybe that compensates different types of Note Off messages.

Pepin

10 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
09 Jun 2023
Barriott wrote:
28 Oct 2022

This is what I got…
You have a button already working for this on the Combinator, right? If so, try this:
•Right Click on the button, and select "Edit Keyboard Control Mapping…" (middle choice)
•Press the key on your query keyboard you want to assign to the switch (the name should appear after the word "Key"
•Press OK
•Make sure to select "Enable Keyboard Control" from the "Options" menu

That's it, now when you press the querty key once, the button is pressed and the filter opens, again and it closes. Is this what you're looking for?
They want a momentary switch, where it turns off when the key is released.

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2023

Pepin wrote:
10 Jun 2023
…That's it, now when you press the querty key once, the button is pressed and the filter opens, again and it closes. Is this what you're looking for?
[/quote]

Oh man, thanks for the heads up – I was TOTALLY off! Back to the drawing board, will read twice next time before posting… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Barriott

02 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
12 Jun 2023
Pepin wrote:
10 Jun 2023
…That's it, now when you press the querty key once, the button is pressed and the filter opens, again and it closes. Is this what you're looking for?
Oh man, thanks for the heads up – I was TOTALLY off! Back to the drawing board, will read twice next time before posting… ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for the replies

Yeah. Momentary.

Any further forward?

• Information