Offline authorization will be discontinued for R11 and earlier - This is serious

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

05 Jun 2023

I guess people could look at it like this—if you anticipate updating Reason and buying REs within the year, you would never notice. Renewing your long-term authorization is not something you will need to put on your calendar. If they didn't advertise that the license updates a year at a time, most people probably would've never noticed.

I have lots of software that seems to want me to login from time to time. I never paid much attention as to why... Roli Connect, Roland Cloud, UJAM, iLok, Arturia, iZotope, NI Access. Perhaps I should look into the licensing details for those and why sometimes any of them need me to log back in. Does anybody know how the licensing for these work?

Authorizer would seem to update randomly when I made no changes. I didn't really understand that either. And it constantly broke my RE license. REs would be missing from my rack. I would start Reason and get an endless stream of prompts about broken REs. Something would be corrupted. It was always a pain to fix it. Not gonna miss that.

If you are active with Reason, and you're someone who is updating when new updates are available and buying REs, you'll probably never see Reason telling you that you need renew your long-term authorization. If you are instead someone who does not plan to update Reason or buy REs, then continuing to use Codemeter will be fine because you're not updating anything anyways.

dvdrtldg

05 Jun 2023

What this means in practical terms - upgrade to 12, log in once a year - is everyday march-of-technology stuff. A minor bit of inconvenience & expense

What this means in terms of principle - "rights and freedoms", "loyalty" betrayed etc - is drama queen manbaby bullshit. Get some perspective guys. Or at least, if you're outraged enough to quit Reason, then fair enough, your choice, have a nice life. Just for the love of god, stop hyperventilating all over the forums about it

Hazel

05 Jun 2023

This doesn't sound good to me. I have kind of a bad feeling about where this might eventually head. It's been a very long time for me, but perhaps it's time I start trialing a few other options to really know what else is out there right now, before I make another further investment.

WaxTrax

05 Jun 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2023
What this means in terms of principle - "rights and freedoms", "loyalty" betrayed etc - is drama queen manbaby bullshit. Get some perspective guys. Or at least, if you're outraged enough to quit Reason, then fair enough, your choice, have a nice life. Just for the love of god, stop hyperventilating all over the forums about it
Can we make this a sticky post, please? :lol:

bernardh

05 Jun 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2023
What this means in practical terms - upgrade to 12, log in once a year - is everyday march-of-technology stuff. A minor bit of inconvenience & expense

In my personal opinion, I have decided to discontinue upgrading Reason and will preserve my current setup as it is. I will continue using Codemeter until it no longer works in showing my Reason as authorised. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this involuntary freeze of a setup could prove to be a most effective way of overcoming gear acquisition syndrome! Regarding the issue of digital freedom, I appreciate that people are voicing their concerns and making themselves heard. It is not an immature reaction, as some may suggest. However, I am somewhat sceptical that these efforts will bring about any change at all, especially considering the dismissive attitude of some individuals. Unfortunately, there are not enough dissenting voices, and Reason Studios are highly unlikely to address the matter; they are aware that they can short-change customers without facing any real consequences.

When my Codemeter-protected system eventually becomes obsolete, I will build another studio computer. This new setup will be constantly connected to the internet and dedicated to using Reason+. I will fully embrace the wonderful modernity of new world software. I'll own nothing. And I'll be happy.

Billy+

05 Jun 2023

joeyluck wrote:
05 Jun 2023
Well to be clear, and correct me if I'm wrong, but (for perpetual licenses) it is constantly updated to be 1 year from the last time you had Reason online, right?

So if you enable long-term authorization today on your computer, it will show it's authorized for 1 year from now. But if you have Reason online tomorrow, or a week from now, or a month from now, to update to a new version, to update your RE license, or to just disable long-term authorization and re-enable it, it will then be 1 year from that date. Is that correct?
This is 100% correct for Reason12

however for Reason 11

simply buying any new Rack Extension past the cut off date would force you into logging via the internet to use the new rack extension and with the removal of the server side infrastructure we lose any method of running that tack extension in an offline mode at that point.

I can understand the change but can't agree with the removal AND support for those of us who would prefer to stick with R11 for whatever reason.

Loque

05 Jun 2023

Billy+ wrote:
05 Jun 2023
joeyluck wrote:
05 Jun 2023
Well to be clear, and correct me if I'm wrong, but (for perpetual licenses) it is constantly updated to be 1 year from the last time you had Reason online, right?

So if you enable long-term authorization today on your computer, it will show it's authorized for 1 year from now. But if you have Reason online tomorrow, or a week from now, or a month from now, to update to a new version, to update your RE license, or to just disable long-term authorization and re-enable it, it will then be 1 year from that date. Is that correct?

however for Reason 11

simply buying any new Rack Extension past the cut off date would force you into logging via the internet to use the new rack extension and with the removal of the server side infrastructure we lose any method of running that tack extension in an offline mode at that point.

I can understand the change but can't agree with the removal AND support for those of us who would prefer to stick with R11 for whatever reason.
You must be a magician that you can download and authorize a new RE offline...

And sad to hear that you are not online once a year to update Reason, RE, OS,... Oh, wait, your are still posting here? Obviously in offline mode I guess...
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

05 Jun 2023

Billy+ wrote:
05 Jun 2023
joeyluck wrote:
05 Jun 2023

however for Reason 11

But you'll maybe be on a new version of Reason at some point? If not R12, maybe R13? Would it make you feel better if they had a new RE SDK that required R12 and higher and nothing new was compatible with R11 anyways? At some point there probably will be a new RE SDK that will require a more current version of Reason. We will all need to update someday to whatever newer version... There are people out there who are still on Reason 9 and earlier who can't buy all the new REs today. You're probably familiar with this already with Combinator patches. Someday you might be up to date with Reason and using new Combinator patches, but you can't use them with R11.

So I personally wouldn't get caught up in what you will continue to buy for R11. Even if it's not an authorization preference, one day it will be RE SDK or something else. Just go with the flow and upgrade when you want to. Remember when Line 6 was removed and so many users vowed they would stay on Reason 8? Then they upgraded and said they'd keep a copy of Reason 8 installed, and then they said, "Screw it, I have Kuassa now" lol and much less people are keeping Reason 8 installed. It's like that. Down the road, many people will forget how much they really cared about this shift. Just like when Record and R6 were dongle and online only.

gbuck

05 Jun 2023

So, I don't remember what day my 12.6 was authorized. Is there a tally counter in preferences or the help menu? If I fall asleep on the 365th day and didn't re-authorize, would I lose everything on 366th day? Is the sky finally falling?

joeyluck

05 Jun 2023

gbuck wrote:
05 Jun 2023
So, I don't remember what day my 12.6 was authorized. Is there a tally counter in preferences or the help menu? If I fall asleep on the 365th day and didn't re-authorize, would I lose everything on 366th day? Is the sky finally falling?
The dates aren't static. I believe it is renewed whenever you use Reason online such as updating Reason or updating your RE license. I think also if you remove offline authorization and add it back, the date will be updated. Or it might also just be when you have silent login enabled, Reason will always log you in when Internet connection is available and will update the date every time to start up Reason.

Go to Reason's Preferences > Account

There you will see your long-term offline authorization and the date.

I guess if you go into hibernation for an entire year without using Reason online ever, then maybe Reason will prompt you to get online and re-authorize.

gbuck

05 Jun 2023

In this crazy world we live in now, hibernation isn't all that bad of an idea. But what would it be like after we wake up!

moneykube

05 Jun 2023

gbuck wrote:
05 Jun 2023
In this crazy world we live in now, hibernation isn't all that bad of an idea. But what would it be like after we wake up!
It will likely a hillbilly hoedown with spoons and more cowbell :lol:
You can't take my licences away from my trusty spoons > ( I hope ) :exclamation: :shock:
You will own spoons and be happy :lightbulb:
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.43.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.43.20 PM.png (127.94 KiB) Viewed 8135 times
On no>> Wait. There is no spoon. :?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 10.11.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 10.11.36 PM.png (277.22 KiB) Viewed 8118 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

DaveyG

06 Jun 2023

gbuck wrote:
05 Jun 2023
The AI will keep you asleep.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2023
I don't know what's worse. People complaining about Reason. Or you complaining about the complainers. Or me complaining about you complaining about the complainers. :lol:
Now please don't start complaining about me complaining about you complaining about the complainers. :puf_smile:

We're all here to express how we think and feel about Reason related stuff. Can it get a little moanie and overeative sometimes? Sure, but who cares.
I don't see what's wrong with having some principles. If I don't like the way a company is doing things, I'll gladly let them know both by sharing my thougts, but more importantly by buying less stuff from them. If I feel they're moving in the right direction again I'll support them more. It's simple.

I don't know how many times I've heard the argument regarding subscriptions, that "It's just where things are going", the whole "get with the times" argument, like everyone should just stop complaining and accept new crap even if they hate it. But look what happened to Waves Audio recently. They tried to screw over the customers, but the customers made it VERY clear that Waves new approach was not gonna happen and they had to retract their decision.
Now to be fair, this authorization issue is not nearly as bad as the Waves subscription situation. But it still proves that customers showing their disaproval and being vocal about it can change things.

Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

I expect 99% of users have a computer that is always online and a bunch of other stuff that regularly needs to ping a server or receive an update. They won’t even notice.

scotward57

06 Jun 2023

A lot of you are overthinking this, as I once did. Whatever you think of subscription models, R+ remains the best deal, especially if you time it for renewing annually during times where you get a sales discount (May, post Black Friday). It's painful to watch Reason users squeeze every last ounce out of whatever version they're on, or watch them worry about reward points so they can afford that rack extension that they would get for free as a R+ subscriber.

The only thing missing, IMO, is giving RE developers the option to opt in on the R+ gravy train. I don't know that it would even be an option, but maybe something could be worked out where both sides could benefit.

Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

You didn’t buy Reason, you are mistaken. If you wanted to it would cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars, currently it is owned by a venture capital group I think. You bought a license to use Reason. They are changing how they check your license and want to see it more often.

Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

Well clearly you didn’t understand the implications of that.

turn2on
RE Developer

06 Jun 2023

Eddi-16, bad example,
Central office can be in hours or minutes to go..
"Long-term authorisation" works 1 year.. and you need to go in 2 seconds here.
But... if you already run R12, make online-login for some reason (just run reason online, or download new RE, may be download some sample packs from R+ Companion), you already have now 1 month offline Authorisation.

If you once at month download/trial RE, as example, you every month activate 1-month offline mode. And in this situation you not need "Long-therm authorisation" at all.
Last edited by turn2on on 06 Jun 2023, edited 2 times in total.

turn2on
RE Developer

06 Jun 2023

Absolutely understand about what you talk (ethic, etc), but:
- time to find number and call is much more, than you need to activate Long-term authorisation for additional year))
- you already spend time now with this talk for few upcoming years / activations )))
Ok, not try to joke, just fun - how much time we spend to write/read topic about short activation process per year.

Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

Exactly, I just can’t see how it could be such a massive hassle to connect to the internet once a year. Surely you connect to download point updates and Windows updates or check out a new Re or VST or something. Have you really been using a single computer, offline for 15-20 years?! Are you still using a version of Reason that came on a cd rom?

bernardh

06 Jun 2023

papers-please.png
papers-please.png (94.18 KiB) Viewed 8558 times
Last edited by bernardh on 06 Jun 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

I get it , like if you buy an album on a cd you want to be able to play that cd for as long as you own it without having to get permission from the record company every year.

But I think the difference is that the contents of the cd will never change. Software is ever evolving with a team of people working on it all the time. As consumers we reap the benefits of that by getting bugs fixed and having new features regularly, much more so than in the days of typing in a serial number from the box. So the software company want a business model and licensing system that supports that constant development in a profitable manner.

The alternative for the consumer is buying standalone hardware. But there are plenty of Roland customers griping about their units never getting updated and bugs lingering forever…

bernardh

06 Jun 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
06 Jun 2023
The alternative for the consumer is buying standalone hardware. But there are plenty of Roland customers griping about their units never getting updated and bugs lingering forever…
Or use a DAW that can be authorised offline, like Logic, Reaper, Bitwig, FL Studio, Studio One, Tracktion etc.

Unfortunately, forcing software customers into online licensing schemes which better suit the vendor is becoming the norm across the industry, here's another recent example https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/06/ ... licensing/
Last edited by bernardh on 06 Jun 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Jackjackdaw

06 Jun 2023

Yes indeed, but the nature of your purchase agreement will still be subject to change at the convenience of the manufacturer. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on myself.

• Information