Anyone here into Reason compact?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tiger jackson

25 Apr 2023

After the 2nd time in a row I have bought expensive laptops only for them self destruct from natural use in the span of 1.5 years (just past the warranties to add more insult) , I am swearing off of purchasing mobile computers ever again. Ever. I think even my most recent posts were also about this, tragic. :lol:
Anyways now I am thinking about just using my handy phone for production when I am mobile, not sure where to start. I use reason 12 and reaper. I am wondering how cross-platform Reason & Reason Compact are? If most of the things I have on my Reason 12 will work there, or if Compact is entirely self-contained.

robussc

25 Apr 2023

Compact seems to be abandoned, so I’m not sure it’s worth investing in? And it’s quite limited compared to Reason 12, most devices are missing/not available.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

joeyluck

25 Apr 2023

I think Compact, even though it hasn't been given attention, is still a great place to start sketches for songs to finish later in Reason.

You have Europa, Monotone, and Rytmik, which you can then easily replace in Reason later. I wish it had ID8 for a simple selection of basic instruments for sketching ideas.

Aosta

25 Apr 2023

You can also try Figure and Take

https://www.reasonstudios.com/mobile-apps

Haven't used them for a while but they are great apps to use on the go. Only drawback is they only export audio but that can easily be transferred over into a song.
Tend the flame

dioxide

25 Apr 2023

I opened it for the first time in a couple of years during a flight recently. Did a quick sketch but overall it's crippleware as anything other than the most basic controls are paid for only and you can no longer buy them in any case. So nice idea but I think they would have had more success with it had they given people full access to the synths.

iTrensharo

26 Apr 2023

I couldn't even get the thing to log in last time I tried it.

I got Cubasis, instead.

DaveyG

26 Apr 2023

The basic free thing is OK for working out a quick idea but I don't think the paid upgrades are very good value at all.
I think RS have given up on mobile apps - a huge mistake imo.

If you want to make music on iPad there are much better alternatives.
Korg Gadget
Beatmaker 3
FL Studio Mobile

and you can do loads more than you might think with GarageBand, which is free.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2023

Didn't they at some point officially say they wouldn't continue working on it? I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.
I haven't tried it myself, but judging from videos I've seen it seems very limited, at least too limited for me personally to get anything useful out of it. For me sound selection and production is so tied to the song writing itself that it would be pretty useless even as a sketch tool. But I can't speak for anyone else.

Personally I don't mind that RS focus all their efforts on the DAW and new devices.

tiger jackson

26 Apr 2023

DaveyG wrote:
26 Apr 2023
The basic free thing is OK for working out a quick idea but I don't think the paid upgrades are very good value at all.

Korg Gadget
Beatmaker 3
FL Studio Mobile

Oh yes I have an iphone, will look into garageband then. Any chance garageband on iphone can load some of my vsts?

DaveyG

26 Apr 2023

tiger jackson wrote:
26 Apr 2023
DaveyG wrote:
26 Apr 2023

Korg Gadget
Beatmaker 3
FL Studio Mobile

Oh yes I have an iphone, will look into garageband then. Any chance garageband on iphone can load some of my vsts?
No VSTs. iOS uses AU3 plugin format but the good news is that there are loads of free AU3 plugins.

Big list of free music apps and plugins here:
https://mobilemusicpro.com/blogs/news/u ... aking-apps

DaveyG

26 Apr 2023

DaveyG wrote:
26 Apr 2023
tiger jackson wrote:
26 Apr 2023

No VSTs. iOS uses AU3 plugin format but the good news is that there are loads of free AU3 plugins.
The screen size on the iPhone might drive you nuts though!

Big list of free music apps and plugins here:
https://mobilemusicpro.com/blogs/news/u ... aking-apps

Faastwalker

27 Apr 2023

I would be, had it not been abandoned. A real shame. The idea of a mobile Reason was very appealing. Even a hugely cut down minimal version, that could save Reason song files, sounded like a fantastic idea. I think Reason Compact could have been that. It just got off to a really bad start. It was Europa Compact, not Reason Compact. It was FREE, but it was $9.99 to do anything. It was not Reason mobile, which is what we all wanted. A missed opportunity. Would love to see it revived, if done right.

crimsonwarlock

27 Apr 2023

For me, Caustic is still the closest thing to Reason on mobile (Android in my case). It does cost a little bit, but it's quite capable. It can export your MIDI and audio stems.
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

• Information