Reason 12 and audio thread count

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CaptainBlack

22 Oct 2022

I've just splashed out on one of the new Intel Raptor Lake i9 13900 CPUs and I'm about to rebuild a PC around it.

I've noticed the change in the audio thread count dropbox recently. I've never paid much attention to this. Has anybody any guidance on how many to select? With 24 cores to play with, what differences should I expect and what changes should I make?

jam-s

22 Oct 2022

You have to test this as it depends on the individual work load of the project. In general the default (= use only physical cores) should be good.

EnochLight

26 Oct 2022

CaptainBlack wrote:
22 Oct 2022
I've just splashed out on one of the new Intel Raptor Lake i9 13900 CPUs and I'm about to rebuild a PC around it.

I've noticed the change in the audio thread count dropbox recently. I've never paid much attention to this. Has anybody any guidance on how many to select? With 24 cores to play with, what differences should I expect and what changes should I make?
Keep in mind: the 13900’s cores are not all the same. They are a mixture of P(erformance) and E(fficiency) CPU cores, based on completely different CPU architectures, so how Reason will treat those differently is a mystery. I’m in agreement with jam-s that you should try “Default” first and move from there if you find Reason performance struggling with your Projects.

The 13900 doesn’t have 24 cores (that are equal). It has 8 performance cores and 16 efficiency cores. Even with Reason's latest performance enhancements, it will still always favor CPU cores that excel at floating-point (think "gaming"). That's likely only going to be your 8 P-cores. But I'm really looking forward to your results - let us know if the 16 E-cores are also utilized, and if so - how well Reason performs! :thumbup:

Source:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17601/in ... 00k-review
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information