When was the last time you used the supplied sounbanks?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Propellerhands

13 Oct 2022

On a side note, I used Orkester sound banks quite often when I was just starting out in Reason, but after 14-15 years it seems all those samples stayed the same, am I wrong?
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

jam-s

13 Oct 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
13 Oct 2022
On a side note, I used Orkester sound banks quite often when I was just starting out in Reason, but after 14-15 years it seems all those samples stayed the same, am I wrong?
Of course they stayed the same, as you would not want to break projects relying on those. If I remember correctly at one time the Orchester Soundbank was extended a little bit with new combinator patches, but I'm not certain when exactly this happened.

Termigator

13 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Of course they stayed the same, as you would not want to break projects relying on those. If I remember correctly at one time the Orchester Soundbank was extended a little bit with new combinator patches, but I'm not certain when exactly this happened.
where was the orkestor bank actually from

no information about that at all

was it a real orchestra ?

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2022

I use the Drum Supply in pretty much every song. Occasionally find something ok in the Loop Supply but I don't really make those standard music types so many just don't suit. I also wish there were more in 'odd' time signatures (eg not 4/4).

There's a combinator 1 patch I've been using for years for the reggae "bubble" sound. I can't recall exactly it's name now (at work), but I'll add it here tonight.

Termigator

14 Oct 2022

that might be a good thing if people added certain best of patches

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2022

For the last 15 years, I've only really used the FSB for synth patches.

The FSB has brilliant sounds, but I've got so many and tend to just go straight for certain Refills and plugins.

EnochLight

14 Oct 2022

Aosta wrote:
10 Oct 2022
I was just playing around in Reason and doing my usual browsing through my left sidebar in the REs and refill/patch folders and realised I rarely go into places like Reason Sounds, Drum Supply, Loop Supply and I haven't been into the FSB for a long time and the Orkester Sounds in absolutely years!
Do others just tend to ignore these now seen as there is so much to explore or are they places you still go to regularly?

Q: If you could only take 5 patches from the FSB on a desert island with you what would they be? :think:
If you're on Reason 12, there's a "New in Reason 12" favorites file that curates all of the new version 12 presets and Combi (both old that have been modified for Combinator 2 as well as new Combi) in one favorites list. There is a TON of useable content in there. Anyone who wants the favorites list can download below.

Just extract the ZIP file and install the *.favo file inside into Reason's correct folder. In Windows, it's C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason. On Mac it's ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason:
Attachments
New in Reason 12.zip
(5.49 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rsnsnds

15 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
13 Oct 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
13 Oct 2022
They could use better quality samples and keep the names of the files to not break compatibility

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2022

Seems like there are tons of gems in the factory soundbanks. Every time I look through stuff there is something new that I didn't hear before. Like they are constantly updating it and improving upon it.

Well, appears that way to me at least! I'm sure in some way, they have added some things but mostly has remained the same over the years but have gone not noticed by me.

I find myself constantly searching through them to find bits and bobs to fill in the gaps, or even to create complete perc/hit_hat grooves sometimes. Last resort being splice, or some similar sampling library if I cannot find what I'm imagining for a track.

That said, layering and filtering/processing is always where the magic happens :)

selig
RE Developer

15 Oct 2022

rsnsnds wrote:
15 Oct 2022
jam-s wrote:
13 Oct 2022

They could use better quality samples and keep the names of the files to not break compatibility
That’s not compatible then, if you use different samples. What they COULD do is offer v2 versions that were laid out the same as the previous versions - but those restrictions could limit how much better the sounds could be. Might be better to just offer new sounds that can take advantage of new advances without being tied to backwards compatibility. And I’m already experiencing that by using Kontakt for orchestral samples… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

kitekrazy

15 Oct 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
11 Oct 2022
The factory content is my "go to".

Great stuff in there! :thumbup:
I have Reason Studio and since it is overwhelming and would take a lifetime to learn some of them I have to resort to being a preset pusher.

Harpuia

15 Oct 2022

Orkester is my go-to library for orchestral sounds. Scenic has some good stuff too, but when I need a gong, bass drum roll or harp, I always go to Orkester.

Iapetus 9

16 Oct 2022

Hardly ever, but I will say this- I heart the Basic Round Thor patch out of the FSB, and throwing SuperMassive onto a Subtractor pad is like shocking them back to life.
38L > 51D every time.

• Information