can't record guitar - SOLVED

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

08 Oct 2022

I have my guitar plugged into my Apollo twin mkII in the front guitar on ch1 HI-Z. I see the volume meter moving as I strum. I hear it in my headphones. It is a clean tone (no distortion).

The problem is nothing is happening on the audio track at all. It's set to record and I have a Kuassa amp on the audio track. Doesn't matter what guitar amp RE I try it's not working. I tried changing every setting I could and nothing shows any volume in Reason. Waiting to hear from suppt. Any ideas?

It's been a while since I recorded guitar in Reason with my Apollo but I don't remember it ever being this difficult to get an audio signal to record...
Last edited by Last Alternative on 10 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Jackjackdaw

08 Oct 2022

Have you checked you have the correct input selected?

Last Alternative

08 Oct 2022

yeah I've tried clock source on internal, S/PDIF and ADAT, input 1-16, every combination of settings in Reason & Apollo console...

Occasionally it gives up and freezes and I get the Apple color-wheel of defeat going for a while until I force quit or reboot.. UGH!

Is this a known issue with RS/Apple still?
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Jackjackdaw

08 Oct 2022

Clock source shouldn’t have anything to do with it. Are you getting audio out of Reason? Do you have any other apps to test your setup with, Audacity or something?

Last Alternative

08 Oct 2022

I'm hearing my music I wrote in Reason yes. And some settings let me hear the guitar but it doesn't record even tho the audio track is recording in the sequencer, no audio is captured. I'm reading all the manuals and watching videos but still can't figure it out. I have Luna & Logic which I don't know how to use yet. I had no problem recording thru this interface on my iMac. Maybe it's some setting on my Macbook I'm missing even though all the sound settings are set to UA Apollo.. so weird

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2022

Last Alternative wrote:
08 Oct 2022
I'm hearing my music I wrote in Reason yes. And some settings let me hear the guitar but it doesn't record even tho the audio track is recording in the sequencer, no audio is captured. I'm reading all the manuals and watching videos but still can't figure it out. I have Luna & Logic which I don't know how to use yet. I had no problem recording thru this interface on my iMac. Maybe it's some setting on my Macbook I'm missing even though all the sound settings are set to UA Apollo.. so weird
Do you have the your audio interface selected? Do you have the correct audio driver selected?
Edit: sorry, just re-read and see that you do. Hmmm

Don’t know if it’s the same as windows but maybe you need to select the Apollo as the default audio in/ out in the OS settings?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2022

Do you have the audio track highlighted in the rack and not the amp?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

08 Oct 2022

If you bypass all the devices one by one in the guitar track, do you hear it then?

Last Alternative

08 Oct 2022

I can hear the guitar thru my headphones which are plugged into the Apollo. I can see UA is selected as audio driver for everything. The meter moves on the Apollo when I strum (using ch1 HI-Z). Even the audio track with nothing but a Kuassa Creme amp says UA interface is selected..

Everything seems legit besides no movement on the audio track volume. And I hit record and it records a flat line as I'm playing. I hear the guitar but it's not recording. Just uninstall/reinstalled the UA software and no difference. Bypass doesn't change anything either.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2022

Last Alternative wrote:
08 Oct 2022
I can hear the guitar thru my headphones which are plugged into the Apollo. I can see UA is selected as audio driver for everything. The meter moves on the Apollo when I strum (using ch1 HI-Z). Even the audio track with nothing but a Kuassa Creme amp says UA interface is selected..

Everything seems legit besides no movement on the audio track volume. And I hit record and it records a flat line as I'm playing. I hear the guitar but it's not recording. Just uninstall/reinstalled the UA software and no difference. Bypass doesn't change anything either.
You’re hearing the guitar becasue you’ve got your headphones plugged into the audio interface.
Have you armed the track? The little red circle in the audio track in the sequencer. Have you got the little speaker icon on?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Last Alternative

08 Oct 2022

Yes the track is armed. Like I said everything seems fine besides the audio track meter showing movement and recording..

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2022

Last Alternative wrote:
08 Oct 2022
Yes the track is armed. Like I said everything seems fine besides the audio track meter showing movement and recording..
Try different USB input?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Last Alternative

08 Oct 2022

This computer is brand new and I have no issues writing beats and synths. Already tried every input option.

Jackjackdaw

08 Oct 2022

The guitar you are hearing is direct from the audio interface. Ideally you want to dial that to where you can only hear it from the monitor mix in Reason. I’m not familiar with your interface but perhaps as it’s routing the audio to your headphones it’s routing away from the computer. Is there a knob for that you can check?

Last Alternative

08 Oct 2022

Figured it out after hours of research. The privacy setting mic was off for Reason. Turned it on and everything was fine. Why Apple and/or RS doesn’t pop up a notification to tell me is a true mystery.
Thank you guys so much for your efforts.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2022

Last Alternative wrote:
08 Oct 2022
Figured it out after hours of research. The privacy setting mic was off for Reason. Turned it on and everything was fine. Why Apple and/or RS doesn’t pop up a notification to tell me is a true mystery.
Thank you guys so much for your efforts.
Yeeeees!!!!!!!! Always a great feeling when you find the fault. I’ll guarantee you’ll be back here in two years with the same problem becasue you forgot the solution :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information