Returning Reason user since version 2.0 - Midi Keyboard?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
spielemusik

26 Aug 2022

Hello All! This is my first post. I just got Reason 12 after not using Reason for a very long time. Last version I had was 2.0. It's probably been a good 15 or more years since I've used the program. In fact I haven't made a lot of music until just the past 2 years or so, now that the kids are older. The last few years have been spent in all hardware since my old G4 Mac died. When I wanted to start making music again I got a Tascam DP32sd (cheaper than buying a new Mac) and began using my older hardware synths that I kept over the years. I also got more into modular.

Fast forward to last week and I was gifted a 2019 Mac Book Pro. I saw Reason was on sale for %50 off so I grabbed it. Man, lots of changes since I remember it!!! I'm excited to explore the CV / Gate functionality of the program again but I wanted to know what midi keyboards people have experience with for using Reason 12. I was looking at getting the Nektar T4. After using exclusively hardware for a few years (and my first music making was done w/ all hardware in the late 80s / early 90s), I really want to have as much hands on functionality w/ the instruments as possible. i don't care much about hands on control for the mixing, more for the soft synths and instruments. Any suggestions? Anybody using the T4? I was looking at getting the 49 note version.

carvingcode

27 Aug 2022

I use the T4. Really nice unit. Keys feel good. It has great control over Reason. I use faders for mixer, on board transport control and use the View button to switch views (mixer to rack, etc.). Very convenient. Price is great at +- $250.

Control over soft synths is good as well, especially if you use Nectar's Nektarine wrapper app.

spielemusik

27 Aug 2022

carvingcode wrote:
27 Aug 2022
I use the T4. Really nice unit. Keys feel good. It has great control over Reason. I use faders for mixer, on board transport control and use the View button to switch views (mixer to rack, etc.). Very convenient. Price is great at +- $250.

Control over soft synths is good as well, especially if you use Nectar's Nektarine wrapper app.
Thanks for the feedback. Are you using the Nektarine app with a mac?

spielemusik

27 Aug 2022

Also, off topic - perhaps I should have started a separate post - has anyone noticed distortion with Thor? I barely have filter 1 cranked up and self resonance is off but I'm getting unwanted distortion when using filter 1 with a 4 pole filter.

edit - never mind, it's not the filter that I'm hearing, it's the pwm that's making distorted sounding artifacts. I'm just using a triangle and when pushed beyond 60 for amount of modulation in the matrix I'm getting some harsh clipping noises depending on where the square wave's pulse width is set for modulation.

carvingcode

27 Aug 2022

spielemusik wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Thanks for the feedback. Are you using the Nektarine app with a mac?
Yes, I use a Mac. I don't currently use Nektarine. It's installed and ready to go. Just haven't needed it.

tomusurp

30 Aug 2022

I can only tell you I have the wonderful Alesis V49 (also has 8 pads if needed) for my home setup and my little darling Arturia Keystep 32.

Both work flawlessly for my purpose which is to just create melodies and record it.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

robussc

30 Aug 2022

I use the Novation Launchkey 61 and like it a lot. Good system control and pads for percussion.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

mimidancer

31 Aug 2022

I have Keylab Mk2. I too use hardware and have a modular setup. Everything in my system is integrated. The cv outs on the KL mk2 give me another way to access my modular and some semi-modular synths. I use the transport and faders to control the mixer and pan. My pads are mapped to their own channel I mostly used them for percussion(sometimes to trigger samples).

spielemusik

04 Sep 2022

thanks again everyone for your feedback, greatly appreciated! i'm still trying to decide between the akai mpk249 and the t4

• Information