“The Truth about Reason 12” new YouTube video from Kickback Couture

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

02 May 2022

Arrant wrote:
02 May 2022
Steedus wrote:
30 Apr 2022
Maybe I need to watch it again but I didn’t really get the point of her video. It was mostly a walkthrough of the history of the product. But I guess it’s interesting hearing that someone who’s gets paid to make patches for a piece of software isn’t happy with its evolution.
Agree with this, lots of words but little substance. The more interesting fact is that she is annoyed enough to bite the hand that feeds her.

And BTW, it's May, shouldn't there be VST3 support by now?
I too found that to be the most interesting bit from all of this. Who knows what's going on between them that caused this relationship to sour.

Speaking of interesting things, did anyone else notice how this thread was locked earlier today at one point and then it got unlocked? Weird.

mimidancer

02 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022
Arrant wrote:
02 May 2022

Agree with this, lots of words but little substance. The more interesting fact is that she is annoyed enough to bite the hand that feeds her.

I too found that to be the most interesting bit from all of this. Who knows what's going on between them that caused this relationship to sour.

Speaking of interesting things, did anyone else notice how this thread was locked earlier today at one point and then it got unlocked? Weird.
I did not see it locked but that is interesting. I am pretty sure Giorgio Tsoukalos has the answer. Aliens. While we're on the subject of conspiracy theories I am curious how much the guys at Ableton are paying this no longer fun to watch reason users?

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
02 May 2022
Workflow?! I mean how much faster do you want to work?
(I know you didn’t ask me, but couldn’t resist answering):
About as fast as I was used to working on Studio Vision Pro, if you’re asking for specifics.
And as fast as my ideas come if you’re asking for a general response.
Reason is not fast enough for either at this point for the way I like to work.
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

02 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
02 May 2022
About as fast as I was used to working on Studio Vision Pro, if you’re asking for specifics.
I do not understand what is missing from Reason. My ideas flow right out in reason. I also use Live and Protools. I did have logic but lost it when I left the Mac cult. I trust your opinion with music tech as I use many of your rack extensions. Please help me understand the tears.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
02 May 2022
Aa. Might just be that my thought processes are getting slower these days. :). Play a note, think about it…hmm…yeah, that note will sound good next to that note. Play next note. Gone are the heady days of banging out mental sonic tapestries on high octane fuel. Need glasses too :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

02 May 2022

mimidancer wrote:
02 May 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022

I did not see it locked but that is interesting. I am pretty sure Giorgio Tsoukalos has the answer. Aliens. While we're on the subject of conspiracy theories I am curious how much the guys at Ableton are paying this no longer fun to watch reason users?
I don't think Ableton or any competitor needs to pay anyone to speak ill of Reason. But there's definitely money behind this. Clickbait brings in the traffic, much like in academia it is the big, splashy, headline-worthy studies that get all the funding even if there is no true science advancement to come out of them. Can you blame the YouTuber for trying to make a buck? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

PhillipOrdonez

02 May 2022

Workflow: no tears from me but I do find it more cumbersome to mix in Reason, so I prefer doing that part of the process in another daw instead. Nothing against Reason, I love it, I just work faster mixing elsewhere, and the faster I work, the sooner I can work on the next song and that means I can take on more projects and clients than if it took longer to achieve results.

EnochLight

02 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022
Can you blame the YouTuber for trying to make a buck?
I mean, yeah - you absolutely can and should if they're doing it by clickbait titles and incorrectly stating things as "facts". But, I've beat this horse to death at this point.
orthodox wrote:
30 Apr 2022
That's just like, her opinion, man. Not The Truth.
^^ THIS ^^
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mimidancer

02 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022
mimidancer wrote:
02 May 2022

I don't think Ableton or any competitor needs to pay anyone to speak ill of Reason. But there's definitely money behind this. Clickbait brings in the traffic, much like in academia it is the big, splashy, headline-worthy studies that get all the funding even if there is no true science advancement to come out of them. Can you blame the YouTuber for trying to make a buck? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I do not blame them. But you are correct negativity drives views. I posted a comment saying this yesterday. I am doing my part to cut these creators out of my youtube viewing. They all cry workflow and rarely describe what they would change. I push record and play. then move on to the next thing. What is so hard about that? I do have many things customized for me in reason. But that is why I like Reason. It is custom to me. In my opinion, they are like politicians that condemn their opponents but offer nothing constructive. It is easy to destroy, creation is more complex. If other software is superior to them why don't they just make videos showing their work? Oh yeah, creation is hard.

WOO

02 May 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
02 May 2022
Billy+ wrote:
01 May 2022
I definitely think it's worth remembering what was the initial plan and accepting that ultimately nothing is fully implemented/working as envisaged,

IMG_2901.PNG
Workflow is more than just efficiency but flexibility/ergonomics/project organization is also important.

Why not integrate the best features found in all these other daws into reason. I'm not a programmer so maybe its just impossible or to hard to do so i'll let those with the expertise comment on that. But isn't it common practice in business to co-opt if not outright steal from one another?

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

Arrant wrote:
02 May 2022
Steedus wrote:
30 Apr 2022
Maybe I need to watch it again but I didn’t really get the point of her video. It was mostly a walkthrough of the history of the product. But I guess it’s interesting hearing that someone who’s gets paid to make patches for a piece of software isn’t happy with its evolution.

I don't see how this could burn relations with RS.

For all we know this was a paid piece scripted by Reason Studios.

I'm not trying to even suggest it is. Just that it's not antagonistic to Reason Studios.

Criticism and open discussion is a good thing.

Companies value feedback and opinions. It signals where to focus their efforts and also to develop a sense of user sentiment

plaamook

02 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
02 May 2022
Hah! Yeah. I doubt anything would actually speed me up. I’m slow as hell w this stuff.
But there’s a long list of little dumb things that would make the process smoother more enjoyable. Flow doesn’t necessarily mean speed.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 May 2022

plaamook wrote:
02 May 2022
MrFigg wrote:
02 May 2022
Hah! Yeah. I doubt anything would actually speed me up. I’m slow as hell w this stuff.
But there’s a long list of little dumb things that would make the process smoother more enjoyable. Flow doesn’t necessarily mean speed.
I know. Prostate problems.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

02 May 2022

MrFigg wrote:
02 May 2022
plaamook wrote:
02 May 2022

I know. Prostate problems.
There’s one little dumb thing. A new prostate!
Shit man! Is that the age demographic around here? No wonder everyone’s in such a bad mood all the time!
😂
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

PhillipOrdonez

02 May 2022

EnochLight wrote:
02 May 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022
Can you blame the YouTuber for trying to make a buck?
I mean, yeah - you absolutely can and should if they're doing it by clickbait titles and incorrectly stating things as "facts". But, I've beat this horse to death at this point.
You are choosing to hate the player and not the game.

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2022

mimidancer wrote:
02 May 2022
selig wrote:
02 May 2022

I do not understand what is missing from Reason. My ideas flow right out in reason. I also use Live and Protools. I did have logic but lost it when I left the Mac cult. I trust your opinion with music tech as I use many of your rack extensions. Please help me understand the tears.
What is missing? All the things they have added since version 1 were "missing" at some point in time!
Reason still flows for ideas better than other DAWs in the overall 'big picture' view.
For me it is a lot of extra clicks throughout the interface - fix one of them and there's little difference for me. But fix half of them or more and suddenly I'm flying at light speed. Most of them I have already submitted as feature requests, so no need to derail this thread repeating them here (happy to go into detail in another thread or by PM).
And at the end of the day, it is 100% just MY opinion, meaning the things I feel I "need" may not be things anyone else would ever want. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022
EnochLight wrote:
02 May 2022

Without the players, there would be no game…
Selig Audio, LLC

mimidancer

02 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
mimidancer wrote:
02 May 2022

What is missing? All the things they have added since version 1 were "missing" at some point in time!
Reason still flows for ideas better than other DAWs in the overall 'big picture' view.
For me it is a lot of extra clicks throughout the interface - fix one of them and there's little difference for me. But fix half of them or more and suddenly I'm flying at light speed. Most of them I have already submitted as feature requests, so no need to derail this thread repeating them here (happy to go into detail in another thread or by PM).
And at the end of the day, it is 100% just MY opinion, meaning the things I feel I "need" may not be things anyone else would ever want. ;)
I'd welcome the PM. I really do respect what you have done. Don't worry I won't tie you up with PMs, I just want to see your list. thanks in advance.

PhillipOrdonez

02 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022

The game in referring to is way bigger than people making videos on YouTube for a living. We are all players of the game, including yourself and everyone you know. This topic goes beyond the scope of this forum. I hope you understand what I mean.

EnochLight

02 May 2022

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

02 May 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 May 2022
selig wrote:
02 May 2022

The game in referring to is way bigger than people making videos on YouTube for a living. We are all players of the game, including yourself and everyone you know. This topic goes beyond the scope of this forum. I hope you understand what I mean.
I feel I know what you mean, but I specifically meant something different - that I can make youtube videos without the click-bait/hyperbole part, and in that example I'm not playing the "game" as I see it. Or to quote Charlotte E. Keyes "Suppose They Gave a War and No One Came".
Selig Audio, LLC

Aosta

02 May 2022

selig wrote:
02 May 2022
Does that include Quad Note Generator? :puf_wink:
Tend the flame

cymek74

02 May 2022

Clickbait titles may be an irksome annoyance for the people who already know it's clickbait, and for the 0.0000465% of the viewers who still don't realize the title was clickbait after watching, it might even go as far as ruining their lunch break.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

Creativemind

02 May 2022

guitfnky wrote:
02 May 2022
yeah, bugs first. and general performance and stability improvements. then get the damn M1 and VST3 shit out the door and start working on something that isn’t yet another device nobody needs.
The first improvement I'd like to see is you capitalising the first letter of each sentence. Still find that irritating. :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

02 May 2022

jlgrimes wrote:
02 May 2022
Billy+ wrote:
01 May 2022
I definitely think it's worth remembering what was the initial plan and accepting that ultimately nothing is fully implemented/working as envisaged,

IMG_2901.PNG
It's also weird that alot of folks "Workflow" improvements are just "two worded" into "immediate results". I wonder if that is missing the big picture. Workflow is more than just efficiency but flexibility/ergonomics/project organization is also important.

I'm not sure if folder tracks count as immediate results but it helps with ergonomics and keeping stuff in order.
Yes, to me, the idea is to get what's in your head musically down as fast and efficiently as possible without having obstacles in your way. Having things just there and organised better (assigning your own keyboard shortcuts / customisability / time markers / linked clips & automation & track folders to name 6 biggies) are to me quite crucial feature's to have in 2022 in a competing daw.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information