RTFM?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2022

Right…Reason. I’ve never RTFM. I’ve kind of just puzzled through over the years and maybe looked in the manual once or twice for a specific function on a specific device and then not really understood it all out of context anyway. My own workarounds for things which I’m guessing don’t even need a workaround. Doing stuff and then undoing it in the edit menu and redoing it until it kind of works.
So…should I read the manual? Like really read it. I’ve got the time. Maybe take a chapter a week. Look in it as a course. Learn everything I can about Reason and then some.
Should I? Maybe. I don’t know. Or…should I? 🤔
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

20 Feb 2022

Yes, it's very well written.

Chi-Individual

20 Feb 2022

I actually started reading it in December when I got a new laptop. I can honestly say I’ve learned tons that I should’ve known years ago. Still working thru it though.

DaveyG

20 Feb 2022

I read the Reason 9 manual from start to finish. Since then I've just dipped in to the later editions.

Baylo

20 Feb 2022

Yes - you should. It’s very accessible and full of good tips. I remember reading the physical copies that came with the early, boxed versions of Reason and was shocked (but shouldn’t have been) to see how big it is now. But it is still an excellent resource.

BRIGGS

20 Feb 2022

....and RTFM for your devices.
r11s

PhillipOrdonez

20 Feb 2022

Do it!

BRIGGS

20 Feb 2022

I had a printed Reason 4 manual, in the bathroom for years.

It's good reading, when you're away from the computer, taking care of 'the business'.
r11s

dvdrtldg

20 Feb 2022

Yep well worth it. Lots of tips & tricks in addition to all the how-to info

Problem for me is that I always come across some cool tip or feature in the manual that inspires to me open Reason and start futzing around. Hence, I only ever RTFM in small chunks

rorystorm

20 Feb 2022

I RTFM for everything. I have almost all of them saved to a folder. I read them for fun, even, because some of them are fantastic in themselves. The Jiggery Pokery ones for eg are works of freaking art.

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

20 Feb 2022

Yes, you should. It took 63 days to write the Operation Manual for the Rumbler Compact Synthesizer. It hurts to read a remark someone never reads a manual. Please do yourself and the developers a favour and open those bibles.

motuscott

20 Feb 2022

I've never read the Reason manual cover to cover, but I'm in there all the time. Most RE manuals are shorter and I do the whole thing. Reason manual is well written though.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2022

Yeah, why not? Especially if you're stuck in monotony. You could find real pearls of wisdom there that would change your life forever.

arnigretar

21 Feb 2022

Just take your time and read it :-) It's a good read and you always learn something on the way. I read Reason 5 or 6 manual back in the day -- after being here since v1. But I haven't read the newest ones , only about added new devices. You just reminded me I maybe should read Reason 12 manual, since there might be some tricks and treats in the sequencer part I don't know about or have forgotten.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

arnigretar

21 Feb 2022

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Feb 2022
I had a printed Reason 4 manual, in the bathroom for years.
I did the same lol. When I had the Reason 5 or 6 manual -- it was a good toilet read. Got some great :lightbulb: moments then lol.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2022

Ok then. From the start or delve in randomly?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Chi-Individual

21 Feb 2022

I’d say start from the beginning. Most of it was skimmed over when I read the first few chapters because I’d figured out most things just from using Reason. But like most have said, you still find great tips and tricks. For me, so far, it’s been learning all the keyboard shortcuts I’d never known about. Just reading and learning those has been game changing. So I’d say start fresh and if you know that section just skim over it.

BRIGGS

21 Feb 2022

MrFigg wrote:
21 Feb 2022
Ok then. From the start or delve in randomly?
I doesn't read like a story, so the are no spoilers. :puf_smile:
r11s

motuscott

21 Feb 2022

Either way.
Just make sure you're on the throne.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2022

Reading manuals is very tedious.
HOWEVER you should because it's worth it! Specially reason's one, it's quite often that you have 2 or 3 ways to do something and reading the manual you will learn it inside out.

Also, I find A LOT of user rants could be self solved if the user would give himself the trouble of checking that area of the app in the manual. I guess a lot of bytes in ReasonTalk's and Facebook's database could be saved... Oh well! :)

lowtom

24 Feb 2022

Spare yourself online embarrassment - RTFM! :puf_bigsmile:
:reason: :refill: :re:

DaveyG

24 Feb 2022

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2022

mcatalao wrote:
24 Feb 2022
Also, I find A LOT of user rants could be self solved if the user would give himself the trouble of checking that area of the app in the manual. I guess a lot of bytes in ReasonTalk's and Facebook's database could be saved... Oh well! :)
To be honest with you I think that being able to come on the forum and ask specific questions about Reason stuff even if the answer is in the manual is one if the things which has made the community. Even if it’s in the manual the discussions generated are like a knowledge database :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2022

MrFigg wrote:
24 Feb 2022
To be honest with you I think that being able to come on the forum and ask specific questions about Reason stuff even if the answer is in the manual is one if the things which has made the community. Even if it’s in the manual the discussions generated are like a knowledge database :).
I've always thought the forums should be extra to the manual. They give you context where the manual can't, bridging the gap between technique, execution, artistry, workflow. This is imho the benefit of these forums. But hey, it's a free forum, right? :)

• Information