Should reason studios update the guis of old devices ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
visheshl

22 Feb 2022

I've had a question in my mind, would i use the old devices more if they looked more modern ?
For example subtractor, nn19, nnxt, maelstrom etc.

When I'm making music now, i don't see myself reaching out for the old devices at all. I straightaway look for more newer more modern devices.
However the thing is, noone is actually looking at the devices you used while making a track, they're listening to what music you made.
The subtractor for example is still a great Synth however I do not use it that much nowadays because it kinda looks old.

Would it be wise or even a selling point for reason studios to make more modern looking GUIs for the old devices ?
Would that make people use them more in their current projects ?
Will a modern looking GUI be more inviting to use ?

I know this is a divisive question

There will be people who will swear to not alter the old devices and leave them as they are and there will be people who think why not give those Old devices a new look and feel.

My point is not to alter the functioning of those devices, just making the new devices more modern looking.
The core functionality remains the same.
The device itself remains the same.
What changes is the GUI,
The skin looks more modern, and maybe the placement of different controls changes to give the gui an enhanced look.
The device retains everything functionally.
It still loads old patches.
But it looks and feels more modern.

Would that make users make more use of the old devices ?

What do you think ?
Should they update the GUIs of old devices or not ?

DaveyG

22 Feb 2022

The GUIs are fine in my view and I still use the old devices. You could always wrap each one up in a Combi and stick a shiny new front panel on it.

Have you ever reflected on the weird conflict between people wanting new GUIs all the time whilst yearning for that true "vintage" sound, complete with drifting oscillators and quirky controls? All of those old synth classics were not exactly good looking.

Seckin

23 Feb 2022

From a business perspective, they could benefit from doing so. It's an undebatable fact that all sorts of consumers are after fancy-looking things, like, yeah we all know that what matters is the final sound after all but many people would not purchase a guitar that looks ugly but sounds good, either.

So I'm not saying that the old devices look ugly by any means (I think they're just fine) but if RS would turn Subtractor into something that's as fresh-looking as Vital, Malström into a modern beauty like Xfer Serum, Redrum into a cute little number like one of those UJam devices etc., they sure could sell some more subscriptions to new customers.

BUT, then again, here we are, the old, loyal customers. If RS dared something like this, we would grandmotherly bash their a*ses to oblivion on this forum for wasting their time and money on such useless things. :lol:
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

motuscott

23 Feb 2022

In a word, no
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

crimsonwarlock

23 Feb 2022

Seckin wrote:
23 Feb 2022
So I'm not saying that the old devices look ugly by any means (I think they're just fine) but if RS would turn Subtractor into something that's as fresh-looking as Vital, Malström into a modern beauty like Xfer Serum, Redrum into a cute little number like one of those UJam devices etc., they sure could sell some more subscriptions to new customers.
To me, Vital, Serum, the UJAM stuff, are definitely not good-looking.

There's also some sort of muscle memory to consider. The controls on the GUI being where they are makes it easy for a seasoned user to work with them. Making a new GUI will break that. So, you could keep everything in place but change the look of the controls and the color of the faceplate. But then, looking for (example) Subtractor in that list of devices, and finding it fast because it is familiar to you, will break. Bottom line, changing the GUIs will break parts of the workflow for users who have worked with Reason for years.
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

Loque

23 Feb 2022

visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Would it be wise or even a selling point for reason studios to make more modern looking GUIs for the old devices ?
Depends on who you ask :-D For new users a more modern look would be more attractive. For old users there is the nostalgia thing.

visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Maybe, yes.

visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Depends. If the synth gets too complicated in the UI, ppl do not use it.

visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Well, maybe, yes.

In general they HAVE updated the UIs in R12 due to the HiRes updates. They have changed slightly, but not that drastically. Personally i would like to see RS gave the old devices some love and the newer devices some more modulation slots and more CV in/out :lol:
Reason12, Win10

Bes
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2022

naaaaah, but what about more combi2 functions and design options
- Certified Reason expert

visheshl

23 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
23 Feb 2022
visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Depends on who you ask :-D For new users a more modern look would be more attractive. For old users there is the nostalgia thing.

visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Maybe, yes.

visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Depends. If the synth gets too complicated in the UI, ppl do not use it.

visheshl wrote:
22 Feb 2022
Well, maybe, yes.

In general they HAVE updated the UIs in R12 due to the HiRes updates. They have changed slightly, but not that drastically. Personally i would like to see RS gave the old devices some love and the newer devices some more modulation slots and more CV in/out :lol:
Ive been using reason since Version 2 i think, the nostalgia is there for me too, but i find myself not using the old devices, they're just sitting there, I'd rather have some eye candy for the old devices, if they look fresh and brand new, maybe it'll prompt me to give them a try again in new projects.

arnigretar

23 Feb 2022

Subtractor, Malström, Thor, Complex-1, NN19, NN-XT, Monotone Bass Synth, Redrum, Mimic, Grain, Europa, Dr. Rex, Parsec, and Kong. Mixer - efx's. All looking great -- old and new devices. So for me-- the old ones are the best ones. Up to Reason 5 it looked perfect. And today look superb in hd. Love them. Best looking software synths in the world are Substractor, Malström and Thor. To me :-)

Then there are few really weird looking RS devices-- something made to impress the mobile app generation maybe; Umpf devices, rytmik, reason electric bass, reason drum kits and processed pianos. I don't have them installed now (those last three) and never use the others. Don't need them also in my production, so it doesn't bother me. I would cry if the old devices were to make look like that.

And then there is Scenic. Which looks like a oven. Or a heating device. Unless you click on the "edit" button -- then thanks to the "Reason Software God" -- there is a better look. Wish there was a button to make it like that from the start, instead of having to press the "edit" button.

But hey -- those are just my opinions and nothing to be taken seriously lol. I love the look of almost everything so updated gui of the old ones are not something i would like to see :-)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

deeplink
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2022

I don't think updating the GUI of older devices will attract new users or get existing ones to upgrade. At least to me, old features new skin doesn't appeal to me.

Some new features to the older devices would be welcome, even if it's just adding remote support for some parameters.

Either way, should RS reskin or update existing (built-in) devices, I think the RS code has to be re-written - unlike RE's where the device itself just needs to be updated. And as we've seen, re-writing code often leads to nasty bug surprises. I won't be surprised if RS simply proceeds with provide new RE devices instead of updating the older ones - it seems easier to do.
Get more Combinators, Patches and Resources at the deeplink website

gullum

23 Feb 2022

Reason devices are not designed to look at but to change sounds 99% of the time .
And 99% of the time I listen to the changes I make not look at them.

huggermugger

23 Feb 2022

No. Reason Studios should de-bug R12.

dvdrtldg

23 Feb 2022

I'm fine with clean & modern, I'm fine with skeuomorphic

What I hate is UIs that are designed to appeal to some dumb comic book aesthetic - an aggressive compressor that looks like a killer robot, a distortion plugin with some sort of craaayyyy-zeeeee "punk" graphics all over it, that kind of thing. They always look dated & corny about 5 mins after they're released

Examples: Waves Lo Fi, Snakebite RE, that Frohmage thing that looks like a block of cheese

Billy+

23 Feb 2022

They did - now they are Hi Res :lol:

joeyluck

23 Feb 2022

Billy+ wrote:
23 Feb 2022
They did - now they are Hi Res :lol:
Lol yeah they've spent enough time on them.

They could freshen up a GUI for anything they revisit to add features.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2022

Keep those filthy hands off of my SubTractor 😠

It is perfect the way it is.

BRIGGS

23 Feb 2022

No, but if they opened it up to mods, the community would probably make some amazing stuff.
r11s

bxbrkrz

23 Feb 2022

Not 'old'.
Vintage, and forever young :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2022

If they update the old device GUIs will they lose its retro warmth? :(

challism

23 Feb 2022

dvdrtldg wrote:
23 Feb 2022
I'm fine with clean & modern, I'm fine with skeuomorphic

What I hate is UIs that are designed to appeal to some dumb comic book aesthetic - an aggressive compressor that looks like a killer robot, a distortion plugin with some sort of craaayyyy-zeeeee "punk" graphics all over it, that kind of thing. They always look dated & corny about 5 mins after they're released

Examples: Waves Lo Fi, Snakebite RE, that Frohmage thing that looks like a block of cheese
Generally, I agree with this. But I do like the way Snakebite looks.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

visheshl

23 Feb 2022

Quarmat wrote:
23 Feb 2022
Keep those filthy hands off of my SubTractor 😠

It is perfect the way it is.
Ok sorry 😂

Loque

23 Feb 2022

avasopht wrote:
23 Feb 2022
Aren't there plugins available to add this flavor?
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

24 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
23 Feb 2022
avasopht wrote:
23 Feb 2022
They only work if they have a retro look as well.
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

visheshl

24 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Feb 2022
Loque wrote:
23 Feb 2022

They only work if they have a retro look as well.
:D :D

• Information