R12 Lagging

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
skie

08 Jan 2022

Hello all, I recently upgraded from Reason Suite 11 to Reason 12.2.3. The issue I'm experiencing is a lag/latency in certain keyboard, mouse, and browser functions after I've had a project open for about 2+ hours. Everything runs fine until it's been open long enough such that the nn-xt sample browser window (not patch browser) takes about 5 seconds to open, Ctrl z and Cntrl y commands become very laggy, and the icing on the cake is trying to create a new instrument by dragging it from the browser into the rack....it freezes reason for about 10 seconds. All these things make R12 unusable for me...anybody experienced similar? Is there any way to revert back to Reason 11 (still have the files) and get my money back? Never thought I see the day P-heads put out a straight unusable version.

Ottostrom

08 Jan 2022

You can download any version from here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates
Many users are experiencing similar issues and there is no telling when a truly stable version of R12 will come.
No idea if you can get your money back but you could always contact support about it

skie

08 Jan 2022

Ottostrom wrote:
08 Jan 2022
You can download any version from here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates
Many users are experiencing similar issues and there is no telling when a truly stable version of R12 will come.
No idea if you can get your money back but you could always contact support about it
Thank you, I'm experimenting with Hyperthreading to see if that helps anything.

FizbanLaPolio

08 Jan 2022

What I discovered after installing R12, is that pressing Tab to look at the back of the rack take now sometimes more than a second, even with only one stock instrument freshly added. No zoom activated.
With R11 Suite, it was instantaneous on that same computer.

skie

08 Jan 2022

FizbanLaPolio wrote:
08 Jan 2022
What I discovered after installing R12, is that pressing Tab to look at the back of the rack take now sometimes more than a second, even with only one stock instrument freshly added. No zoom activated.
Yes that was my experience too, but only for the first Tab of the session, then mine worked normal....I figured it was normal for this version.

Pepin

08 Jan 2022

FizbanLaPolio wrote:
08 Jan 2022
That's because it's caching the high resolution assets for the backs of the devices. That's also what causes lag sometimes when first instantiating a device.

Once you've viewed the front and back of every device at least once (including all expandable sections, swappable panels, etc.), then the lag should go away. If you use multiple zoom levels, the process will need to occur for each zoom level.

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Jan 2022

Welcome onboard our next-gen airliner. We got everything you might need here on a long flight, a tennis court, a swimming pool and a dance club. Now buckle up, please, and we're gonna try to take off with all this shit...

skie

08 Jan 2022

So Hyperthreading settings didn't work. Something is happening about an hour after the project's been open that suddenly makes the browser and other commands very laggy. It just happened - goes from acting normal to lagging at the drop of a hat.

orthodox
RE Developer

08 Jan 2022

skie wrote:
08 Jan 2022
So Hyperthreading settings didn't work. Something is happening about an hour after the project's been open that suddenly makes the browser and other commands very laggy. It just happened - goes from acting normal to lagging at the drop of a hat.
Is Reason being actively used throughout that hour? That might happen when you're short of RAM and Reason gets swapped out in favor of other apps.

skie

08 Jan 2022

orthodox wrote:
08 Jan 2022
skie wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Is Reason being actively used throughout that hour? That might happen when you're short of RAM and Reason gets swapped out in favor of other apps.
It is being used in spurts. 15 min working on reason, 10 min youtube, 30 min reason, again, etc. I have 16gb RAM. But I think it also, happened when I was using only Reason, I'll test that too.

plaamook

08 Jan 2022

Prob RAM leak bug. It's been fixed a few times as I recall.
Save project and restart your comp. Should go away.

What system are you on?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

DaveyG

08 Jan 2022

skie wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Is there any way to revert back to Reason 11 (still have the files) and get my money back?
There always used to be a 30 day money back thing. I can't find any reference to it now but nether can I find any mention of it ending. So if it's less than 30 days since you upgraded send a ticket to the support team and ask for a refund and see how far you get.

Ottostrom

08 Jan 2022

Pepin wrote:
08 Jan 2022
FizbanLaPolio wrote:
08 Jan 2022
That's because it's caching the high resolution assets for the backs of the devices. That's also what causes lag sometimes when first instantiating a device.

Once you've viewed the front and back of every device at least once (including all expandable sections, swappable panels, etc.), then the lag should go away. If you use multiple zoom levels, the process will need to occur for each zoom level.
It's weird that it has to do this every time I launch the same project. I remember when RS said that it would only happen once and after that it would recall the already stored high resolution assets for that particular zoom level. Now when I start working I first scroll around in the rack to get it all loaded

skie

08 Jan 2022

plaamook wrote:
08 Jan 2022
Prob RAM leak bug. It's been fixed a few times as I recall.
Save project and restart your comp. Should go away.

What system are you on?
Just confirmed it happens when Reason is the only program I have open (not multi tasking with other programs). I did try restarting my PC and it did not go away. I'm on Windows 10, 16 GB Ram Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz. Reason Suite 11 runs flawlessly at 44.1 with 64 samples buffer.

jam-s

08 Jan 2022

Check your drive activity when this happens. It might be an (hourly) indexing run.

• Information