Which Reason version are you on?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Which Reason version are you on?

R+
15%
R12 (perpetual)
39%
R11
34%
R10
8%
R9
1%
R8
1%
R7
No votes
R6
No votes
R5
2%
R4
No votes
R3
No votes
R2
No votes
R1
1%

Total votes: 218
Majestik Monkey

05 Jan 2022

Bought RS12 Upgrade , But Gone back to RS 11.3.9 !

As it is the most stable version , on my machine atm , In fact , Hugely Stable :mrgreen:

But i am still happy about all the new stuff that's happening in RS12 ' :clap:

The truth is i bought the upgrade to get my hands on [Mimic] , i didn't even care about the High res stuff & all the other Bells n whistles !

But ' here's the [Silver lining] on the Dark cloud of me Missing out on MIMIC , since i bought the Upgrade ! i

I earned enough Rewards to Purchase Complex Synth ' What a F*kin Bomb :o Yehhhh haaaaa

EnochLight

05 Jan 2022

Majestik Monkey wrote:
05 Jan 2022
Bought RS12 Upgrade , But Gone back to RS 11.3.9 !

As it is the most stable version , on my machine atm , In fact , Hugely Stable :mrgreen:

But i am still happy about all the new stuff that's happening in RS12 ' :clap:

The truth is i bought the upgrade to get my hands on [Mimic] , i didn't even care about the High res stuff & all the other Bells n whistles !

But ' here's the [Silver lining] on the Dark cloud of me Missing out on MIMIC , since i bought the Upgrade ! i

I earned enough Rewards to Purchase Complex Synth ' What a F*kin Bomb :o Yehhhh haaaaa
Complex-1 is probably one of my favorite all-time Rack Extensions from RS - just a fantastic synth!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Klark Trent

08 Jan 2022

Reason 6 and perfectly happy. Got everything I need and a million more.

I come from the Akai / Atari days of the 80s. To me Reason 6 where it amalgamated with Record was where my cup was full. Yes I am aware of all the newer features but honestly from my 88 perspective my cup overflow with 6. Were you to give me a bath full of water to add to my cup it would just overflow and Id still be just left with a pint.

Reason 6 does not get in my way at all. 1-5 did. Only feature I really envy is audio to rex. But then I have recycle. Its only a couple of clicks. Again again from an 88 perspective.......

Klark Trent

08 Jan 2022

Oh, and Im still on Win 7 32 bit. No chance of me moving. Again again again my cup overfloweth. Not sure what these newer OS's let you do I couldn't do on XP?

Yeah you ca quate specs and such but in 2001 I could Email, facebook, make music, listen to music, write word docs, do tax returns, spreadsheet my gym workouts, edit photos etc etc etc etc.

What can you do with Win 3 million that I cant on 7? (I mean real world applications of the tools you use. Not reading the stats why its better of the side of the box)

jam-s

08 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
08 Jan 2022
What can you do with Win 3 million that I cant on 7? (I mean real world applications of the tools you use. Not reading the stats why its better of the side of the box)
Getting security updates without paying a leg and an arm to M$. Also newer versions of software start phasing out Win7, so to actually run them you're going to do some trickery or use a still supported OS.

Klark Trent

09 Jan 2022

The reason you cant get security updates is because MS stopped making them. This doesn't make Win 7 any less viable as a product.

It was a human decision to put XP/7 in the obsolete box so they could release another OS, then another, then another, then yet another. Of course and bill people for all of those incremental 'upgrades' that you simply must have as they will enhance your life - yada yada

None of these new OS's do anything XP couldn't do 20 years ago. Had MS kept 7 going (And they wouldn't as they wouldn't be able to get more £billions) it would still be as viable today as it ever was.

Its probs me I'm 41 years old now. Older I get the sicker I get of being milked like a cow for my hard earned money. Get sick of being told about all of this stuff I simply must have for it to make no diff what so ever.

To put my theory into music / Reason term. Say I am an average hobby producer and you are a highly talented gifted producer. Give me Mr Average a Windows 76 128 bit and Reason 53 and a quantum super duper power PC.

Give you Mr Talented a humble laptop running XP and Reason 6, well................ you would write the better music. Dance floors would fill for you not me.

All these things are nothing more than hammers and chissles to a plumber. There just tools. Its the human driving them that rocks. Without us, these things are nothing.

I just try and keep my starting point of 1988 in the forefront of my mind. Makes me realise and value what I have. Not always wanting more. Again again, my cup overfloweth

EnochLight

09 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
09 Jan 2022
None of these new OS's do anything XP couldn't do 20 years ago. Had MS kept 7 going (And they wouldn't as they wouldn't be able to get more £billions) it would still be as viable today as it ever was.

Its probs me I'm 41 years old now.
Like Mac OS? ;)

I understand what you're saying, and I even agree to some extent - but... While XP certainly "gets the job done" for the most part (especially for the hardware it was designed to run on at the time), newer versions of Windows have API's and other support written directly into the OS that simply make it easier to integrate new technologies into. For the same reason I could never run my current iPhone 12 hardware on iOS 1, Windows XP would just be a patched up Frankenstein of an OS if they just kept "updating" it. And even 7 feels downright archaic compared to what I have on Windows 10 (note: I won't make the jump to Windows 11 - if I ever do at all - for at least another year). :lol:

My home studio machine is Win 10; one my office machines are still running 7. The difference between the two is night and day - I can't even stand looking at Windows 7 these days, let alone trying to use its search "feature".

But if all you're suggesting is that Microsoft should have stopped selling OS "upgrades" and just keep endlessly updating the current OS, well - I guess that's what they've done now. It just took them forever to finally move to that model. But as many of us discovered, that doesn't remove us from having to upgrade our hardware to support the latest OS technologies (my studio machine isn't compatible with Windows 11 through the "upgrade", as my older CPU isn't compatible). I know I can bypass that and just download the Windows 11 iso and install it, but my Win 10 install already feels sluggish on my 10 year old hardware, so I'm not willing to take the risk.

At some point, as a software dev, you have to cut your losses and start new. API change, code changes, support for various industry standards change or are improved upon - at what point do you stop "patching and adding on" to your older software and start fresh?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information