Help with Scales and Chords player

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
LeftyRight

25 Dec 2021

I don't know why I have such a hard time trying to get anything to function the way it was designed. Just now I tried to find a Random Cord Generator in what comes with Reason 11 and I found a Video and tried to follow it step by step and nothing. It talks about integrating a Scales & Cords Player. They install the ID-8 and show how boring it sounds and then they integrate the the Scales & Cords Play and the effort on the Video starts generating cords and it's all wonderful. When I do it "Nothing Changes" How is that possible?

jam-s

25 Dec 2021

I suspect you did something different than what was done in the video. Some more detail would help us here. (screen-shots from your rack (front+back), link to video in question etc.)

madwurmz

25 Dec 2021

i like how you write, this english! but maybe you have a duplicate ID-8 and you drag the Player on the wrong ID-8.
maybe start over.

LeftyRight wrote:
25 Dec 2021
I don't know why I have such a hard time trying to get anything to function the way it was designed. Just now I tried to find a Random Cord Generator in what comes with Reason 11 and I found a Video and tried to follow it step by step and nothing. It talks about integrating a Scales & Cords Player. They install the ID-8 and show how boring it sounds and then they integrate the the Scales & Cords Play and the effort on the Video starts generating cords and it's all wonderful. When I do it "Nothing Changes" How is that possible?
madwurmz from planet verbs

Rising Night Wave

25 Dec 2021

do not worry. i am graduating with mastering right now.
it's 05:11 in the morning. i still haven't go sleep.
i am all pissed off. i would like to hang myself.
i do not know if i did the mastering right.

damn, shit.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

LeftyRight

25 Dec 2021

Attachments
Reason Rear.jpg
Reason Rear.jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Reason Front.jpg
Reason Front.jpg (145.49 KiB) Viewed 1048 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2021

As noted above I have to assume (wildly guessing based on "it always work for me") that while you believe that you are doing what the video says (or what it seems to say to you) in reality you may be doing something else.

Assuming in signal flow is the enemy. As soon as this happens stop assuming (hard as that is) and start looking at every connection from finger to speaker being very careful to see what is really there (or not there) as opposed to what you think should be there. Once you get the hang of this mindset, getting caught will decrease massively.

On the surface, the images look right. I would expect pressing a key to deliver a triad in the relevant C Maj scale. Except rather than a piannner, it would be the crash of cymbals and burping Hip Hoppers.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

challism

26 Dec 2021

Screenshot pictures look right. Time to troubleshoot.

Restart Reason.
Make sure Reason is making sounds (with another instrument or the metronome).
Make sure your note input device is working (try using the onboard keyboard player - press F4)
Make sure you have the ID8 instrument selected to receive MIDI input.
Check master volume level in the mixer (F5).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Oper-8

26 Dec 2021

When you dragged the Scales & Chord Player device from the browser to the rack, Reason automatically linked it to an ID8 device and created a mix channel labelled "ID8 1".
On your first picture, it's labelled "ID8 1" as it should be, but the second picture shows that it's labelled "Mix Channel", which likely means that you unplugged the L (left) and R (right) output cables from behind the rack.
Try this : right click on the ID8 device and select "Auto-route Device". The channel in the Mixer area should now be labelled "ID8 1" and you should hear chords (if you select a Piano sound on the ID8, that is) when you play on your MIDI keyboard (or on the computer keyboard if you hit the F4 key first).
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

Billy+

28 Dec 2021

Looking at the two images that you have provided you can clearly see that the first image shows the device is selected and should receive midi input however the second image shows that you have not selected the device and as such it is not able to receive midi.

Make sure that you have selected the device so that it is highlighted with the blue box around the device and the using either a midi keyboard or the F4 virtual keyboard you should be able to play the chords.

Oper-8

29 Dec 2021

Based on the second picture, even if he selects the ID8, he won't hear anything since the audio output of the ID8 isn't connected. Look at the mixer channel : the label says "Mix Channel", which means this channel has nothing plugged into its L and R input sockets.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

NDKay

29 Dec 2021

@ everybody : Has anyone ever heard a "Drumkit-Chord" ?

If yes, i would really like to get to hear that. ;-)

By looking at the second Picture from the OP i can cleary see that ID8 is set to a Drumkit ("Drums") instead of a "real" Instrument.

Please try to set the ID8 to a Piano or something which "is able" to "play a chord" . (obviously a Bass won´t work, too)

Hope this helps.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

• Information