Your reason. Your Sound?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mimidancer

21 Dec 2021

I will start with I absolutely love reason. Including the workflow and the SSL mixer. For me, all the gadgets, synths, and effects are an endless modular playground. The abilities and limitations of a device give reason its character. I use the sequencer, several players and hardware sequencers to develop tracks. SO when I start up my reason the default is uniquely mine with my octapad, beatstep pro, pearl EM1, Ensoniq TS10, and pads on my controller and the controller(arturia keylab mkii) prewired to different empty combinators. I rarely use every controller on a track but the configuration allows my mood to dictate what is used. That being said when I sit down to write or record I rarely use out-of-the-box sounds. Not that many presets included are not wonderful, many are. And sounds designed by sean Murray are always a treat. I love pulling presets apart to see what is happening. With all of that being said I have two simple questions. When you turn on reason is it a factory default or your own starting point? In your combinators do you use more than one synth to achieve your sound?

I sometimes use four or five. Am I weird? I am also aware that was a third question.

And nothing against presets. it is your ride. I am just interested in hearing from those who tweak and fiddle.

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

I have a common Finalizing (Mastering) rig but otherwise, I keep my New Project Template clean so I don't start from exactly the same place every time.

I make presets for sale but for myself, it is pretty rare that I use any (even my own). I tend to make a new (if not similar) sound every time I need one.

I tend to layer more through musical lines (simple harmony & counter melody) than several synths playing the same line. But it is a powerful thing to do and sometimes I feel I should do it more, but I don't.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

PhillipOrdonez

21 Dec 2021

I start with a totally empty project. And all the devices start on init position. I will use presets on projects for others, but seldom on my own projects.

Depending on the goal, one sound can be one device or several. It's all about the mood as you say, I just go at it from a blank canvas.

I also use more and more the RRP for music making and standalone for non music work.

Pepin

21 Dec 2021

I have some basic stuff saved in a template:
- Pianoteq, just so I can play something immediately
- Sonarworks hooked to the Master Out
- Ozone (bypassed) in the Master inserts
- Preferred window configuration

For the other question, I think it pretty normal to layer synths in a Combinator. I personally did it more often in the pre-RE days though.

mimidancer

21 Dec 2021

Cool, What do you use to master? Tell me about your chain.

mimidancer

21 Dec 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I start with a totally empty project. And all the devices start on init position. I will use presets on projects for others, but seldom on my own projects.

Depending on the goal, one sound can be one device or several. It's all about the mood as you say, I just go at it from a blank canvas.

I also use more and more the RRP for music making and standalone for non music work.
My projects too are empty. But everything is routed to empty combinators so I can use whatever I want to put my hands on. My new devices too start on the ini patch. I think like having to think about what I want. mood is important. Thanks for the response.

mimidancer

21 Dec 2021

Pepin wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I have some basic stuff saved in a template:
- Pianoteq, just so I can play something immediately
- Sonarworks hooked to the Master Out
- Ozone (bypassed) in the Master inserts
- Preferred window configuration

For the other question, I think it pretty normal to layer synths in a Combinator. I personally did it more often in the pre-RE days though.
I see many people use ozone. I have not tried it. What would you say is the reason it is your goto?

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

I start with a blank canvas and tend to just make patches as I go but with regard to combining instruments I do this fairly often (not always with combinator) and sometimes different patches make up the whole eg for DnB bass etc if I have a sub and 2 top layers. I will also tweak presets so just use what I fancy at the time really.

dvdrtldg

21 Dec 2021

I start with a template that has all 8 send/return slots filled (3 x reverbs, 3 x delays, saturation, unison). I might swap some of these out later but they're useful starting points

Anansi on the master section for mono check. Also a high pass filter (bypassed) going from Ctrl Room Out into the master sidechain input, in case the mix is very bass-heavy and I want to stop the lows from driving the master comp too hard

All instruments launch with init patch, I mostly don't use presets although I've come to like a small handful of favourites

WarStar

21 Dec 2021

I start from scratch as well but didn't use to. I used to have a fairly loaded template but found it actually distracted me during the writing process. I use alot of presets mainly because I'll get my workflow sidetracked if I start messing with something. I try to just stick to writing and arranging and then I'll go back in once it's all there and make some tweaks here and there. I try to keep it simple

Pepin

21 Dec 2021

mimidancer wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I see many people use ozone. I have not tried it. What would you say is the reason it is your goto?
Basically, I got Ozone Elements free with hardware at some point. I find it makes passable "mastering" easy enough for a non-expert.
I've not investigated alternatives too much, since it's been good enough for me.

altron

22 Dec 2021

I have a custom project template that I update occasionally when I feel it's necessary but in general it has followed the same structure since years. Since I have several outboard gear I want it to be ready at the fingertips when I start Reason so the tracks for all these are pre-configured. I rather take out things later if I eventually don't need them. There's also a pre-configured master effects and mastering chain and a default drum combi. Here are some screenshots ...
snag_211222_0000.jpg
snag_211222_0000.jpg (857.35 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
snag_211222_0001b.jpg
snag_211222_0001b.jpg (537.14 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Trap is where music goes to die.

mimidancer

22 Dec 2021

altron wrote:
22 Dec 2021
I have a custom project template that I update occasionally when I feel it's necessary but in general it has followed the same structure since years. Since I have several outboard gear I want it to be ready at the fingertips when I start Reason so the tracks for all these are pre-configured. I rather take out things later if I eventually don't need them. There's also a pre-configured master effects and mastering chain and a default drum combi. Here are some screenshots ...

snag_211222_0000.jpg

snag_211222_0001b.jpg
Very cool. feel the same way. I want all my outboard gear available and if I don't use it I cut it later. Thanks for the screenshots too.

mimidancer

22 Dec 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I start with a template that has all 8 send/return slots filled (3 x reverbs, 3 x delays, saturation, unison). I might swap some of these out later but they're useful starting points

Anansi on the master section for mono check. Also a high pass filter (bypassed) going from Ctrl Room Out into the master sidechain input, in case the mix is very bass-heavy and I want to stop the lows from driving the master comp too hard

All instruments launch with init patch, I mostly don't use presets although I've come to like a small handful of favourites
I mix in mono first as well. I use the Selig gain for that. I use a key in my master bus compressor too. I have the key set up with the Reason stereo imager. Pretty sure it is one of Ryans's videos. I have tried several vsts for my master bus compressor but the out of the box reason MBC does the job for me. What do you use for saturation?

dvdrtldg

22 Dec 2021

mimidancer wrote:
22 Dec 2021
What do you use for saturation?
I swap it around a fair bit, but at the moment it's Wires by Audio Thing. All the weebly warbly noisy parameters set to zero, just driving the input. Fattens things up real nice

selig
RE Developer

22 Dec 2021

Even after forty years I almost never mix the same way twice. I've gravitated towards (and away from) all sorts of layouts over the years, but never used a template. Meaning, I tended towards a general approach but never exactly the same way twice, preferring to build the mixer as I go.
In the past few years I finally gave in and built a template. It does things like lowers the click level to half way, sets the Rack view as the starting point, has my simple but effective side-chain filter on the master compressor, and I have Ozone Elements 9 between the Master Outputs and the Hardware Interface inputs. I also have Youlean's free meter in case I need it, both in a simple Combinator which also includes a Selig Gain for peak hold level checking coming into the Combinator.
I recently added a custom Template with all my audio tracks (over 20 inputs) already assigned and labeled so I can quickly start a drum tracking session without having to assign each mic to each input and name it. That's probably the closest I'll come to a full mixer "template"!

That's it. I find Reason to be SO fast to add effects, and I'm almost always doing things differently even from song to song, even when mixing something where all tracks are the same like tracks from a live event. I'm just weird like that, but it works well for me because it makes me stop and thing EACH TIME I want to add an effect or processor! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

gullum

22 Dec 2021

I start with a drum kit rooted to 8 channels then combined to a drum bus and a Bass channel
then I add guitar and depends on what I try to make will determine what is in the guitar channel. rarely synth gets added until I feel I have the basic track running
Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 10.45.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 10.45.11 PM.png (980.53 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

DaveyG

23 Dec 2021

A couple of years ago I decided to knuckle down and spend some time making a few decent templates but in practice I found that they never quite did what I needed and I probably spent more time removing bits or reconfiguring them than if I had just started from blank. These days the problem has gone because I use Reason mostly as a VST.

As someone said above, it's really quick to add stuff to the rack and the automatic connections are usually what you want.

demt

23 Dec 2021

My styles completely different scince I discovered sequencers. Whether that's a good thing is debatable but I sound like standered acid techno these days more acid than techno is my preference.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

QVprod

23 Dec 2021

My template just has multi outs routed for Machine. Otherwise like others, I don’t use the same things in every song so overall templates don’t make sense.

2 synths in a combinator? Sometimes. Layered sounds is my usual method of sound creation if I’m creating, granted my Reason + packs deviate from that a bit. But I find myself using presets more often than not be it from a stock synth or a VST

moalla

23 Dec 2021

my style is deep oldschoo like ellen alien, toktok
in the mastering i normaly only use the ssl comp and in some cases before this device millenia NSEQ to make it thicker or Lindell Audio TIE-100 to brigthen up the signal
also kuassa AT4 , and for drums pluginalliance bx_digital_V3 and bx_masterdeck_classic comp or mcDSP C670 bzw. TLS 1295 LEA Comp (free LA2A) for pump or elysia mpressor for drum mangling. and also very cool RE are vermilion
but it depends really on the musicstyle and dynamics in the last time i really often use Rs W2395 mid Eq and Audiotings texture after that, to bring tracks more in front of the stage
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

mimidancer

23 Dec 2021

selig wrote:
22 Dec 2021
Even after forty years I almost never mix the same way twice. I've gravitated towards (and away from) all sorts of layouts over the years, but never used a template. Meaning, I tended towards a general approach but never exactly the same way twice, preferring to build the mixer as I go.
In the past few years I finally gave in and built a template. It does things like lowers the click level to half way, sets the Rack view as the starting point, has my simple but effective side-chain filter on the master compressor, and I have Ozone Elements 9 between the Master Outputs and the Hardware Interface inputs. I also have Youlean's free meter in case I need it, both in a simple Combinator which also includes a Selig Gain for peak hold level checking coming into the Combinator.
I recently added a custom Template with all my audio tracks (over 20 inputs) already assigned and labeled so I can quickly start a drum tracking session without having to assign each mic to each input and name it. That's probably the closest I'll come to a full mixer "template"!

That's it. I find Reason to be SO fast to add effects, and I'm almost always doing things differently even from song to song, even when mixing something where all tracks are the same like tracks from a live event. I'm just weird like that, but it works well for me because it makes me stop and thing EACH TIME I want to add an effect or processor! ;)

cool, I love that it is about the moment for you. I feel the same way. My template is designed for ease of use of all my hardware. But there is only a piano sound loaded when I start. Since my hardware is all prewired No matter how I want to interface; reason is ready for me. I have tons of premade combi, but like you, I find it is often more fun to just build one for the situation. Do you have a special room for your kit? What mics do you use? DO you ever mic an amp? I have tried many times but usually end up using the di track and effecting it in the box. I also love your gain. it is in my master section as well.

mimidancer

23 Dec 2021

QVprod wrote:
23 Dec 2021
My template just has multi outs routed for Machine. Otherwise like others, I don’t use the same things in every song so overall templates don’t make sense.

2 synths in a combinator? Sometimes. Layered sounds is my usual method of sound creation if I’m creating, granted my Reason + packs deviate from that a bit. But I find myself using presets more often than not be it from a stock synth or a VST
My combis except one piano are all empty. they are all set up to accept all of my hardware. Though I consider myself a reason power user. Routing in reason can take time to make things work together(at least for me). I am happy I am not the only one compelled to layer instruments. When I was 11 I inherited my papa's TS10 and Korg wavestation when he purchased a korg trition. So layering sounds was one of the first things I learned to do. I guess one can't fight original programming. I love the ensoniq sequencer. So often I start in the ts. Why do your reason + packs not use layers? I tear apart the combis in the packs often and find that they usually feature one source. Is there a reason for that? It makes me feel like I am doing it wrong sometimes.
Last edited by mimidancer on 23 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

mimidancer

23 Dec 2021

demt wrote:
23 Dec 2021
My styles completely different scince I discovered sequencers. Whether that's a good thing is debatable but I sound like standered acid techno these days more acid than techno is my preference.

What sequencers do you like? I use a beatstep pro sometimes. I also use the sequencer on my ts10. I also use the sequencer on the 303. nothing is quite the same though it has been copied a lot. I wish reason would let me record more than one midi channel at a time. I am sure there are programmer reasons why I cannot. For now, I do it in passes.

mimidancer

23 Dec 2021

gullum wrote:
22 Dec 2021
I start with a drum kit rooted to 8 channels then combined to a drum bus and a Bass channel
then I add guitar and depends on what I try to make will determine what is in the guitar channel. rarely synth gets added until I feel I have the basic track running
Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 10.45.11 PM.png

Very cool. thanks for the screenshot. Is your processing all in the box or do you have preamps and compressors on the way in? What mics do you use?

• Information