Vocal Booth Lyrics display

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MusicBocs

07 Dec 2021

Is there a way to display lyrics on a device and synchronise it with playback in Reason?
Perhaps this can be done over a local network.
I'd rather not waste one of my video outputs to achieve this but I also want more control over the display than just loading the words up on google and expecting the vocalist to scroll while they're singing.
If the lyrics display could look more like what you would expect from a karaoke machine that would be really useful.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2021

The only solution I could think of in Reason is to use something like VidPlay VST, make a video with the lyrics as needed, play that in Reason and use one of the HDMI etc outs to a display for the singer.

A bit roundabout seeing you need to make that video too so that adds more software and time - which could be a cool project if you need many involved ;-)

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Fotu

09 Dec 2021

Partial solution: Use an app like BandHelper, which is focused on displaying lyrics (and other notation) on a tablet (predominant use case is live play). It supports various MIDI triggers, so a MIDI external output from the DAW to the tablet would allow for some limited synchronization. BandHelper does not support arbitrary time position synchronization (which would be fantastic in a studio situation!), but you can tag various blocks of lyrics with position markers, each triggerable with a MIDI command that could be generated from the DAW. Thus you could at least set it up for convenience in punching in specific verses, choruses, etc. It does support full karaoke style phrase highlighting, but to get that you'd pretty much need to roll the song from the start for each recording session (or create little 'verse' or 'chorus' derivative songs within BandHelper).

Pepin

09 Dec 2021

Automating the underline parameter on TMA-9 is probably the closest you’ll get with native devices. I’ve noticed some visibility issues with the underline on R12 though.

QVprod

09 Dec 2021

Probably better off putting a tablet or phone holder in the vocal booth and letting the singer scroll. Otherwise, you’d have to manually sync the lyrics to the music for this to work. Singer should know the song at least for the most part before recording anyway if you want the best performance out of them.

MarkTarlton

09 Dec 2021

QVprod wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Singer should know the song at least for the most part before recording anyway if you want the best performance out of them.
Pretty much how I feel about it too, a good old fashioned sheet of paper and pencil will always do the trick with a little tape in a pinch. In my band rehearsals/recording sessions, we have the option to print out the lyrics if no one has an ipad/tablet, but when the singer knows the lyrics they always sing with more emotion and from the heart, versus reading and using valuable brain resources.

I have a music stand with a light, it's one of those handy items you don't realize you need til you go somewhere that doesn't have one.

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2021

Most singers I have recorded have come in with a printed lyric sheet that they can then make notations to as we work and decide on changes.

I assumed that was considered and dismissed - maybe, seeing this is under the MusicBocs tag, you want to avoid changes and attendant confusion at this point?

Benedict Roff-Marsh

MusicBocs

10 Dec 2021

Hi Benedict, Yeah it's pretty much that. I'd like to be able to have control over what people are looking at and minimise the amount of words on screen. Working with people with various disabilities means people would struggle reading from large blocks of text or may have trouble interpreting what they're being asked to do via headphones.

I was wondering if it would be possible to set OBS up as a text scroller and then somehow have the page position controlled by a midi in the track then set OBS up to stream over a LAN. I've not found the right plugin to do that yet.

Pepin

10 Dec 2021

You might also want to try looking into Ableton Link-enabled software, as Reason supports that protocol as well. There's various software for live visuals that support it. Though key would be finding something that isn't too bloated for your purposes.

QVprod

10 Dec 2021

Ah with that in mind, I get it. Still requires a bit of set up. This is what some churches are doing with Ableton. You may be able to pull this off in Reason

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2021

MusicBocs wrote:
10 Dec 2021
Hi Benedict, Yeah it's pretty much that. I'd like to be able to have control over what people are looking at and minimise the amount of words on screen. Working with people with various disabilities means people would struggle reading from large blocks of text or may have trouble interpreting what they're being asked to do via headphones.

I was wondering if it would be possible to set OBS up as a text scroller and then somehow have the page position controlled by a midi in the track then set OBS up to stream over a LAN. I've not found the right plugin to do that yet.
This is where the idea of adding the Lyric Video Making component may be of interest. Yes it is make work but it gives people things to do around the task, once they are in the studio they see that video they (or a parallel team) made and perform to that for the added "vibe". Then they have a video for YT all ready to go.

Looking into Live Link or things in the more Lighting arena that are controlled by MIDI may be a very good suggestion otherwise. I know when I DJ'd with the big shows the lighting guys brought in special MIDI boards to manage all the Intellibeams, Martin GoBos, Galaxy Balls etc.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

moalla

10 Dec 2021

Nice hint, Proclaim looks fine for this use also a way is to edit a short text video , with win video editor or the mac derivate and than you could connect vidplaymtc with loopmidi by ableton link, so you have a stable timecode connection without bugs for this usage and the think to edit the text with timeline becomes relatively comfortable/easy.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

challism

11 Dec 2021

Pepin wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Automating the underline parameter on TMA-9 is probably the closest you’ll get with native devices. I’ve noticed some visibility issues with the underline on R12 though.
This is amazing! I had no idea there was anything automatable on TMA.... never even thought about that.
Too bad the line is red (against a black background). Can't complain too loudly, considering the price of TMA.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MusicBocs

14 Dec 2021

Thanks for the suggestions.
I downloaded TMA-9 and gave it a go. It doesn't quite go far enough to make the lyrics really obvious but if anyone would like to make an RE that expands on how this works I'd be interested.
Ideally a clone of how singstar on the playstation works would be perfect for my purposes but I can but dream.

• Information