Midi Controller Support via Remote

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Tweak

11 Nov 2021

Hi Folks,

I wondered if anyone knew the last time Reasonstudios updated the list of Remote Map files supplied with Reason? Most DAW users don't have to worry that the controller they buy will function adequately for their chosen DAW, but I'm concerned this is not the case for us Reason users.

I'm still on Reason 10, but have used the demo of Reason 12, and I don't see any new map files (which I assume means no maps were provided with 11 either). Has development to keep the application current with controller technology simply been abandoned, or has it been officially passed to the community to upkeep? I appreciate there are many different controllers out there, some of which are not well established or somewhat niche, but at the same time I find it hard to understand why some market leading controllers like Arturia's latest Keylab MkII controllers are absent. Some official communication from Reasonstudios on the policy here would be much appreciated, since not having up to date hardware support seriously diminishes the value of the product for me, and is another reason - on top of the reported bugs in 12 - why I still have not updated.

Thanks,
Marc

artotaku

11 Nov 2021

Tweak wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Hi Folks,

I wondered if anyone knew the last time Reasonstudios updated the list of Remote Map files supplied with Reason? Most DAW users don't have to worry that the controller they buy will function adequately for their chosen DAW, but I'm concerned this is not the case for us Reason users.

I'm still on Reason 10, but have used the demo of Reason 12, and I don't see any new map files (which I assume means no maps were provided with 11 either). Has development to keep the application current with controller technology simply been abandoned, or has it been officially passed to the community to upkeep? I appreciate there are many different controllers out there, some of which are not well established or somewhat niche, but at the same time I find it hard to understand why some market leading controllers like Arturia's latest Keylab MkII controllers are absent. Some official communication from Reasonstudios on the policy here would be much appreciated, since not having up to date hardware support seriously diminishes the value of the product for me, and is another reason - on top of the reported bugs in 12 - why I still have not updated.

Thanks,
Marc
Out of my head:

Remote Protocol SDK has not changed for years as well as the documentation and I see no effort or plans so far for any updates. What is new that the SDK is now publically available but a bit hard to find:
https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dow ... r-products

Some remote codecs for new controllers have been added or updated and remote mappings for Reason stock devices with each Reason version but nothing special.

Starting with Reason 12 the remote folder has changed and it is now separated locations for remote codecs that come with Reason and remote codecs you have added on your own.

Tweak

11 Nov 2021

Thanks for the reply. I started reading the SDK developer docs for writing remote maps to see how much hassle is involved, but frankly I really feel like this is something Reason Studios should be providing in the case of recent well established popular hardware. All the other DAW applications seem to better support a wide range of current hardware.

If they've given up providing out of the box support for newer devices, I find that very sad. It's one thing to not provide updated features to the DAW, but to me this is an issue of ongoing compatibility that will leave the application unusable in a few years when the available hardware no longer matches their old supported list. Relying on the community for this seems quite a demand.

jam-s

11 Nov 2021

I suppose the more likely scenario is that in the past the hardware manufacturers provided the Propellerheads with Remote maps for their (new) hardware devices and the Props then included those. I highly doubt that the Props wrote much of the included Remote maps themselves.
As Reason as a DAW has been far from popular I suppose most hardware manufacturers now simply don't care enough to provide Remote maps for their new hardware.

Italophile

11 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I suppose the more likely scenario is that in the past the hardware manufacturers provided the Propellerheads with Remote maps for their (new) hardware devices and the Props then included those. I highly doubt that the Props wrote much of the included Remote maps themselves.
As Reason as a DAW has been far from popular I suppose most hardware manufacturers now simply don't care enough to provide Remote maps for their new hardware.
I also believe that the Remote integration has always been done by the hardware manufacturers. The same is true for other DAWs. As Reason has support, albeit limited, for some standard protocols, e.g. Mackie, most manufacturers simply rely on that rather than invest time and effort in creating specific integration. The constant trickle of Rack Extensions that require mapping plus the vast number of VSTs would be a massive, and ongoing, investment for which they would get little return.

Tweak

12 Nov 2021

Italophile wrote:
11 Nov 2021
jam-s wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I also believe that the Remote integration has always been done by the hardware manufacturers. The same is true for other DAWs. As Reason has support, albeit limited, for some standard protocols, e.g. Mackie, most manufacturers simply rely on that rather than invest time and effort in creating specific integration. The constant trickle of Rack Extensions that require mapping plus the vast number of VSTs would be a massive, and ongoing, investment for which they would get little return.
I honestly don't need any Rack Extensions, or VSTs to be included in a remote map, just the out the box devices. Basic mapping of DAW controls (play, pause etc.) and recognition of faders, sliders and pads would be perfectly fine.

If Remote integration was always done by the hardware manufacturers, why have some of them seemingly stopped? Everything Reason Studios has told us suggests their application is more popular than ever, it would appear particularly with the new Combinator arriving an unusual decision to stop supporting Reason. From what I've seen the community has been picking up some of the pieces, suggesting that the hardware manufacturers need not always be involved. If it's no longer in the interests of hardware manufacturers to support Reason, and Reason Studios are unwilling to add the support themselves, where does that leave us?

jam-s

12 Nov 2021

Tweak wrote:
12 Nov 2021
If it's no longer in the interests of hardware manufacturers to support Reason, and Reason Studios are unwilling to add the support themselves, where does that leave us?
At DIY. (http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/ might be of interest to you ;) )

gullum

12 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
12 Nov 2021
Tweak wrote:
12 Nov 2021
If it's no longer in the interests of hardware manufacturers to support Reason, and Reason Studios are unwilling to add the support themselves, where does that leave us?
At DIY. (http://www.reasonremoter.co.uk/ might be of interest to you ;) )
thats all good but if you have an unsupported controller then that site is not the solution

• Information