how to play a combinator

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
carllackey

03 Nov 2021

i'm getting the packs from the reason companion and notice that some sounds are in a combinator. i know how to use them if they're played like an instrumeny, and if i have to bounce in place, but ive found a few that neither work. is there more ways to record a combinator?

carllackey

05 Nov 2021

anybody?

artotaku

05 Nov 2021

carllackey wrote:
05 Nov 2021
anybody?
Another way to record audio from combinator:

If there is a mix channel attached to the combinator (which is typically in Reason Standalone when you drag a combinator to the Rack) you can click a button called Record Source in the Mix channel. Then you create an audio channel device and select the Mix channel of the combinator as a source. If you now hit Record in Reason Sequencer the audio from the combinator will be recorded to the audio channel.

Another far out not obvious way to record the combinator audio to a sampler device is to connect the audio outputs of the combinator directly to the sample input source of the hardware interface in Reason standalone Rack. You can then record it e. g. directly into Redrum, NNXT, etc. if you click on Sample button on a drum channel on Redrum.

But really depends on the combinator how it is setup internally. It must spit out audio at least. So there must be an audio source e. g. instrument inside the combi that can receive MIDI notes and is connected to the combinator mixer.

EnochLight

05 Nov 2021

carllackey wrote:
03 Nov 2021
i'm getting the packs from the reason companion and notice that some sounds are in a combinator. i know how to use them if they're played like an instrument, and if i have to bounce in place, but ive found a few that neither work. is there more ways to record a combinator?
carllackey wrote:
05 Nov 2021
anybody?
Can you post a video of the example? Or point us to the specific preset and Sound Pack? Would be super helpful... Also, are you merely trying to access a specifically embedded sample in a Reason sampler?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

carllackey

05 Nov 2021

will do thanks!

carllackey

06 Nov 2021

what i'm trying to do is just play the combinator patch. have tried playing like an instrument, bounce in place. is there any other ways to get sound out of a patch that doesnt respond to either ways?

visheshl

06 Nov 2021

carllackey wrote:
06 Nov 2021
what i'm trying to do is just play the combinator patch. have tried playing like an instrument, bounce in place. is there any other ways to get sound out of a patch that doesnt respond to either ways?
Maybe it's not supposed to make a sound ?
Could be an fx combinator or something...

zumBeispiel

06 Nov 2021

Could the patch have a [RUN] in its name?

moneykube

06 Nov 2021

click show devices on combinator to see if an instrument is in the stack of devices
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 7.53.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 7.53.28 AM.png (538.65 KiB) Viewed 670 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

jam-s

06 Nov 2021

It would help if you could give the name the combinator patch and a screen-shot of its front and back.

• Information