[solved] Do you need to own R12 for beta access? YES

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

03 Nov 2021

So I was going to install the beta version as I signed up some time ago only it seems to have been removed from my account?

Do I need to subscribe or own R12 for access or are RS resetting beta access?
Last edited by Billy+ on 03 Nov 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Arrant
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

I think so yes, after R12 was released.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Nov 2021

Yes.

DaveyG

03 Nov 2021

Yep, they removed the Beta licence from me the day they released R12, presumably along with anyone else who has not upgraded to R12.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

As other have said, you have to own a license, if not this could be away of getting around buying a license and just using Beta products all the time...

Billy+

03 Nov 2021

Well that's a shame I would have been interested in testing it more over the coming months.

Billy+

03 Nov 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
03 Nov 2021
As other have said, you have to own a license, if not this could be away of getting around buying a license and just using Beta products all the time...
Well I don't know about you but I definitely wouldn't be using a beta for actually production, I didn't even create a full track when I had access to R12 via subscription.

I always install the new version along side the old version and check projects and the forum for weeks before I fully commit.

If RS wanted beta tester, it would make more sense to allow as many people as possible not limited to actually owning the product especially given it current condition.

joeyluck

03 Nov 2021

Having the stable version is also a good way to compare to the beta. Also more often, those on the current version need less direction to be brought up to speed. But I think it also makes it easier for how they handle licensing.

Billy+

03 Nov 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Having the stable version is also a good way to compare to the beta. Also more often, those on the current version need less direction to be brought up to speed. But I think it also makes it easier for how they handle licensing.
I'm not 100% on what you mean?

Don't you need to be logged into the beta? If so then licensing isn't an issue

And surly the point of a beta is to test bug resolution, find bugs and report them not to just compare the current version vs the beta?

Do RS actually ask for particular tests to take place or are you all just left to do what you see fit?

Maybe I'm misunderstood the purpose of beta testing.

EnochLight

03 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Nov 2021

And surly the point of a beta is to test bug resolution, find bugs and report them not to just compare the current version vs the beta?

Do RS actually ask for particular tests to take place or are you all just left to do what you see fit?

His point was that RS wants you to be on the same stable channel version as the beta test is on as it is more likely you'll know the software and its new features, and thus be a more productive beta tester. It's not really to "compare" anything as far as I can tell, as the beta is always bogged down with a ton of logging code anyway. And yeah, I think it makes beta licensing a lot simpler as well.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

03 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Nov 2021

His point was that RS wants you to be on the same stable channel version as the beta test is on as it is more likely you'll know the software and its new features, and thus be a more productive beta tester. It's not really to "compare" anything as far as I can tell, as the beta is always bogged down with a ton of logging code anyway. And yeah, I think it makes beta licensing a lot simpler as well.
Yep this. If there is for instance a fix and you haven't been using the latest version to understand what the fix seeks to do, why it is needed, and what the non-beta behavior is, you won't be able to be as helpful.

Beta is different pre-release as it's new to most everyone, but after release, those who are testing are the ones on that version.

Billy+

04 Nov 2021

Thanks for the responses, not sure it really answers all my questions but it's all good I definitely won't be spending £200 to become a beta tester so I'm happy to leave things as they are....

EnochLight

04 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Thanks for the responses, not sure it really answers all my questions
Well, you're not a beta tester so most of what can be said can only be said at the beta forum. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

04 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
04 Nov 2021
Thanks for the responses, not sure it really answers all my questions
Well, you're not a beta tester so most of what can be said can only be said at the beta forum. ;)
I'm sure what I asked could be answered without breaching the NDA terms.

deeplink
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2021

If you want to beta test, just pay for an R+ subscription
Get more Combinators, Patches and Resources at the deeplink website

Billy+

04 Nov 2021

deeplink wrote:
04 Nov 2021
If you want to beta test, just pay for an R+ subscription
Yeah thanks I'm not paying £20 a month to be a beta tester :thumbup:

EnochLight

04 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Nov 2021
I'm sure what I asked could be answered without breaching the NDA terms.
:thumbup:

• Information