New Pricing for Reason 12 - Upgrades now 199 from 129

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What do you think about the Reason price increase?

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2021

The price isn’t a factor for me
5%
It’s still a bargain
1%
It’s about what I’d expect
6%
It’s kind of steep
20%
It’s way too much
68%

Total votes: 297
EnochLight

16 Sep 2021

stp2015 wrote:
15 Sep 2021
That's fine. I am not trying to prevent you from speculating / forbid you to do so. I am just evaluating how useful I find that speculation.
His speculation is no less useful than the plethora of speculation that people post about the "obvious" demise of RS and the "nail in the coffin" of Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

NDKay

16 Sep 2021

The Price change is absolutely okay.
Really.
Dont believe me ?

Just think of all the new marketing-staff and consulting bills Reason Studios had to pay for the name change and doing "ooh soo" much for the mind of the Userbase, because now Reason Studios will be near the users and they surely want us to know that. (Note: This very Forum did not exist before Summer 2021 in the mind of Reason Studios)
They start by releasing a Roadmap for an unfinished albeit released product which will mostly be things the userbase asked minimum for 5 years (actually: Combi2 is asked for as long as i remember and HiRes is OVERDUE) just to tell us that they will rise the pricing and tell us that we have to hurry to pay less.
THIS IS JUST FKN MARKETING

Has anyone seen the Reason Userbase Chart in the Roadmap ? Yeah, exactly the one with no indication what whatever means!
Do you remeber the 3€ $ for 3 Months Reason+ Campain last month ? I bet many people have jumped on that train and that is the "reason" for the hike at the end. Dont believe any statistics you have not manipulated yourself ;-) , there are so many ways to put numbers in the right spot, not mentioning that the whole presentation could be just a lie, who could check ? XD
THIS IS JUST FKN PR

What should they do ?
DAMN IT: get more Coders instead of marketing bullsh+tter, make the DAW better and sell us the finished thing instead of getting our money and telling us that it will be better in the future.

And i mean it when i say that you should DROP all of your Marketing employees, because the best marketing is the one which is not !!! Or do you know somebody who likes the overboarding marketing Bullsh*t of our times ? Really, do somebody know somebody who likes Marketing? XD

Let the DAW speak for itself, just make it the best you can!
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

guitfnky

16 Sep 2021

NDKay wrote:
16 Sep 2021
Let the *DAW speak for itself, just make it the best you can!
*included

😆
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

16 Sep 2021

Nearly 70% of people voted, "It's way too much", but that doesn't say they won't buy it. 🤔

Reminds me of when I'm at Chipotle and I ask for guacamole...
And they say, "Guac is extra. Is that ok?"
And I respond, "No."
And then they ask, "So you don't want guac then?"
And I respond, "Yes, I want guac. You asked me if it's ok that it's extra."
🤣

helmutson

16 Sep 2021

NDKay wrote:
16 Sep 2021
The Price change is absolutely okay.
Really.
Dont believe me ?

Just think of all the new marketing-staff and consulting bills Reason Studios had to pay for the name change and doing "ooh soo" much for the mind of the Userbase, because now Reason Studios will be near the users and they surely want us to know that. (Note: This very Forum did not exist before Summer 2021 in the mind of Reason Studios)
They start by releasing a Roadmap for an unfinished albeit released product which will mostly be things the userbase asked minimum for 5 years (actually: Combi2 is asked for as long as i remember and HiRes is OVERDUE) just to tell us that they will rise the pricing and tell us that we have to hurry to pay less.
THIS IS JUST FKN MARKETING

Has anyone seen the Reason Userbase Chart in the Roadmap ? Yeah, exactly the one with no indication what whatever means!
Do you remeber the 3€ $ for 3 Months Reason+ Campain last month ? I bet many people have jumped on that train and that is the "reason" for the hike at the end. Dont believe any statistics you have not manipulated yourself ;-) , there are so many ways to put numbers in the right spot, not mentioning that the whole presentation could be just a lie, who could check ? XD
THIS IS JUST FKN PR

What should they do ?
DAMN IT: get more Coders instead of marketing bullsh+tter, make the DAW better and sell us the finished thing instead of getting our money and telling us that it will be better in the future.

And i mean it when i say that you should DROP all of your Marketing employees, because the best marketing is the one which is not !!! Or do you know somebody who likes the overboarding marketing Bullsh*t of our times ? Really, do somebody know somebody who likes Marketing? XD

Let the DAW speak for itself, just make it the best you can!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

NDKay

16 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2021
NDKay wrote:
16 Sep 2021
Let the *DAW speak for itself, just make it the best you can!
*included

😆
THAT is your opinion ! :-P

Chi-Individual

16 Sep 2021

starting @ 16:22 - 19:30

@ 16:55 it is clearly stated "as we move mostly into subscriptions and learn more". It's right there in audio. I missed that the first time.

In listening to this section of the video again and looking at the random price increase on a flawed product it seemed to have always been planned. Not my words. Check the video yourself. Do you hear it the way I do?

Just the fact that Mimic was updated quickly with note detection but everything else is on a future timeline makes it appear like they have all of the builds already, they're now just following a set schedule to justify R+. So now when X date hits release build 12.2 or 12.4 on and on and on but they are already completed. Just my opinion.

danc

16 Sep 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
16 Sep 2021

starting @ 16:22 - 19:30

@ 16:55 it is clearly stated "as we move mostly into subscriptions and learn more". It's right there in audio. I missed that the first time.

In listening to this section of the video again and looking at the random price increase on a flawed product it seemed to have always been planned. Not my words. Check the video yourself. Do you hear it the way I do?

Just the fact that Mimic was updated quickly with note detection but everything else is on a future timeline makes it appear like they have all of the builds already, they're now just following a set schedule to justify R+. So now when X date hits release build 12.2 or 12.4 on and on and on but they are already completed. Just my opinion.
Also - Elvis has just been found hiding here...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fathe ... -1.5689498
Check my Soundcloud:

Chi-Individual

16 Sep 2021

danc wrote:
16 Sep 2021

Also - Elvis has just been found hiding here...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fathe ... -1.5689498
So what you're saying is you have absolutely nothing to add. Ok understood. Thx

Carpainter

16 Sep 2021

Herman wrote:
16 Sep 2021
avasopht wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Well, by keeping the price at $129 for 20 years, the upgrade price has been going down each year.

$200 today is worth a little less than $129 in 2000.
They are stating the price has remained the same, but that is a lie. Upgrades used to be $99 / 99 EUR. I entered at Reason 3 and paid for every upgrade since. I upgraded to 4 at 99 EUR in 2007, upgraded to 5 for 99 EUR in 2010. Upgrade to 6 was "pay what you want" in 2011!.
This actually bothers me more than the price increase. Somewhere along the line, Props went from being a company that asked 'what do our customers want?' to being a company that asked 'what will our customers tolerate?' and that's a real shame.

NDKay

16 Sep 2021

Carpainter wrote:
16 Sep 2021
Somewhere along the line, Props went from being a company that asked 'what do our customers want?' to being a company that asked 'what will our customers tolerate?' and that's a real shame.
Oh oh oh, that is actually better than i´ve tried so say !

:clap: :thumbup:

QVprod

16 Sep 2021

NDKay wrote:
16 Sep 2021
(Note: This very Forum did not exist before Summer 2021 in the mind of Reason Studios)
I’m mostly staying out of defense in this one. But while their current level of transparency is new, this is not true. We’ve always had RS presence here almost from inception. We’ve even hosted a beta here in the past, I believe for version 10.

makke

16 Sep 2021

I love how this site moderators try to do everything to defend this insane price increase. Just buy FL Studio on that $199, you get free updates forever.

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2021

makke wrote:
16 Sep 2021
I love how this site moderators try to do everything to defend this insane price increase. Just buy FL Studio on that $199, you get free updates forever.
I'm not happy about the price increase but don't think I have seen the mods try to overly defend it.

hurricane
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
16 Sep 2021
makke wrote:
16 Sep 2021
I'm not happy about the price increase but don't think I have seen the mods try to overly defend it.
Yeah, I mean even Enochlight is saying nothing and we all know how he is. :puf_bigsmile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

BRIGGS

16 Sep 2021

Do we get a cookie, when this thread hits 12 pages?
r11s

NDKay

16 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
16 Sep 2021
NDKay wrote:
16 Sep 2021
(Note: This very Forum did not exist before Summer 2021 in the mind of Reason Studios)
I’m mostly staying out of defense in this one. But while their current level of transparency is new, this is not true. We’ve always had RS presence here almost from inception. We’ve even hosted a beta here in the past, I believe for version 10.
Sorry for not getting my sarcastical vibe on that one ;-)

I know they have been here before, THAT is part of my point. They already had so much "Wishlist-threads" to go through in here.
And maybe they did with implementing Combi2 and HiRes. But on the others side, how long have we asked for that(?) and why did they nothing in the sequencer because a big part of wishes are Sequencer related. Now they give (bring) it to us and want to be celebrated for doing what we asked for many years? (btw still buggy)

And the transparency thing.... who is against transparency? I´m not and i dont know anyone who is, but for me this looks more marketing related than being transparent. And on my way.... is it really transparency when they show us WHAT THEY WANT instead of what we ask for?
AND.. if the transparency comes at the cost of the price change for reason, i really dont need that.

Also, please read my part with the Reason Userbase in the Roadmap again, what exactly did they told us?
- Reason Studios is getting greater and better and whatnot ( I´m feeling the opposite, but thats just me)
- more and more (and more) reason user , yeah ( no numbers -.-)
- features that should have been in the finished product will come soon ( for me that sounds like a Sorry ( you know: the south park ( BP british petroleum) double penetration "sorry") )
- we will do more betas ( practically letting people work without paying)
- and even more marketing Bullsh*t
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- and a few days later tell us that the price will increase BIG time ( basically :HURRY UP)

edit: they try to make marketing which should not look like marketing for the users, but basically is !!!
Last edited by NDKay on 16 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
16 Sep 2021
Do we get a cookie, when this thread hits 12 pages?
Nah £5 Off Reason 12 voucher, valid from 1st October 2021 😂

guitfnky

16 Sep 2021

the thing about the new combi that gets me is that—yeah, it’s an improvement, but it’s not that much of an improvement. most of it is visual, not functional. even the functional stuff (more controls) is not much different than what was there before—just more of them.

between that and the other <checks notes> THREE features in 12, it’s absolutely bonkers to try to sell this at $200. oh right, they want us to pay $240 a year to use it instead.

yeesh. 🙄

NDKay

16 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2021
the thing about the new combi that gets me is that—yeah, it’s an improvement, but it’s not that much of an improvement. most of it is visual, not functional. even the functional stuff (more controls) is not much different than what was there before—just more of them.

between that and the other <checks notes> THREE features in 12, it’s absolutely bonkers to try to sell this at $200. oh right, they want us to pay $240 a year to use it instead.

yeesh. 🙄
Exactly thats the point of the price change. They just want to make R+ more "attractive".

"Look, you can buy a full license for 500 and will be left with what is in it, but when you use R+ you will have every update which will come along and the 500 bugs will give you at least two years of that and so on....."

Thats nothing but "Selling 101"

"e"dding: while reading that again it just popped into my mind that some comrads in here have made a comment on that it would make no sense for users to jump on R+ while they can have the perpetual upgrade for the price of 1/2 a year of R+.

So Reason Studios takes our advices, but into the wrong direction. GREAT ! -.-
Last edited by NDKay on 16 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

JunctionArsonist

16 Sep 2021

Can we all agree that the pricing model has taken a huge dump on long term supporters of reason and move on? I'm upgrading to 12 because i can no longer work in low res. I'm not sure they can bring anything of more value unless there is a future suite upgrade so I can have their newer instruments at an affordable price.

lowtom

16 Sep 2021

Price hikes are unavoidable in the system where limitless growth is main believe system.

What I would consider fair for loyal or long term users is some kind of different upgrade price discounts based on what licenses you already have registered in your account. It could be based on how many upgrades you bought over the years and for how long you supported the company.
:reason: :refill: :re:

SoundObjects

16 Sep 2021

Considering buying upgrade before price change I have questions:

Does an summarized list of RS reported issues and problems exist for R12 ?

If only using the RRP is R12 now acceptable to use ?
The Universe Is Vibrating

Carpainter

16 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2021

yeesh. 🙄
They can't really go any further with Combinator unless they're willing to turn it into a graphical programming environment, and there's no way they'd ever allow their users to create their own devices from scratch because within a month there would be free Combinaor devices that rival or surpass a lot of what they're selling in the shop.

guitfnky

16 Sep 2021

Carpainter wrote:
16 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2021

yeesh. 🙄
They can't really go any further with Combinator unless they're willing to turn it into a graphical programming environment, and there's no way they'd ever allow their users to create their own devices from scratch because within a month there would be free Combinaor devices that rival or surpass a lot of what they're selling in the shop.
they could easily add at least a few features that wouldn’t result in that sort of outcome. metering springs to mind, and they could even do basic math/logic without things needing to go that far. think some of the stuff you can do in Thor, but without having to add a Thor device.

not sure they’d suffer for it even if they did go that far. Ableton does just fine selling their own devices despite the existence of Max 4 Live, for example. but you may be right about how RS sees it/why it may never happen.

• Information